aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Last night I watched Dark Tower and was prepared to be disappointed going by the reviews I have read so far. Having read the Dark Tower series of books by Stephen King, it bears not a lot of resemblance to the original story but in my opinion a good stand-alone film. Could be a good starter for a follow up or three I reckon.

The Last Jedi. I actually saw it at the midnight release showing but have been back since and kiiiiiinda loved and hated it.

Rey and Kylo's story arc(s) were pretty awesome, Kylo as a villain is amazing and I can't wait to see how his story plays out. But it was just so.... Disney. The middle installment of the trilogy I expected to be a bit darker in tone to align with Empire, but it was more like Return of the Jedi in that it had some cutesy animals and some pretty laboured LOLz. And the Finn/Rose story was all fucking horrible. Poe Dameron is still awesome but his arc was pretty boring and inconsequential. It felt like they made a 6 hour movie and had to edit it down, but rather than dumping a sub plot and keeping the main plots in tact, they just tried to take little chunks out of everything and ended up with some pacing and weighting issues between the different arcs.

There were also some fucking horrendous CGI clangers in there too that just looks baws as fuck. After Force Awakens and then Rogue One, this felt super disappointing.

xx

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2.

A good few years too late. Great fun. The plot in 2 is a bit of a mishmash, and doesn't work as well, but its still fun, and they use Drax a lot better. Drax laughing at everything is just the best. Drax is just the best. Drax.

I've never seen Kurt Russell play the role of a planet before. I don't think I will again.

Drax needs a leading role movie, and have a significant role in every Marvel film from now on. And when Drax isn't on screen, everyone should be asking "Where's Drax?".

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Star Wars, the first one (well, the 4th one, isn't it?) for the first time yesterday, after years of people not believing I've never seen Star Wars and the incessant "omg you just have to watch it".

Do they get better? Because it did nothing for me, and I dig sci-fi. The best bit was laughing at the sound the Tie Fighters make, and the awful Obi Wan vs Darth Vader scene.

The next one is the best one, isn't it?

3 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I watched Star Wars, the first one (well, the 4th one, isn't it?) for the first time yesterday, after years of people not believing I've never seen Star Wars and the incessant "omg you just have to watch it".

Do they get better? Because it did nothing for me, and I dig sci-fi. The best bit was laughing at the sound the Tie Fighters make, and the awful Obi Wan vs Darth Vader scene.

The next one is the best one, isn't it?

I was the same until pretty recently. The second one (5th) is marginally better but you won’t get much out of it either.

i think there was a sell by date on them. If you didn’t watch them before a certain age or point in time they have no power over you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Goon 2

I liked the first one, and I've got a lot of time for Jay Baruchel. This one is pretty awful. There's loads of funny bits, but the story is kind of annoying. Doug Glatt's new boss at the insurance firm needed a bigger part. Probably the best character. There's a bunch of outtakes of him too which are all great. TJ Miller's part was just a straight rip from Jason Bateman in Dodgeball, though it still got a few chuckles.

Funny, but not good.

The Longest Yard. Adam Sandler is a disgraced American Football player who starts a team in prison to play against the guards. Burt Reynolds and Chris Rock co-star but I mostly watched it for WWE wrestlers, Goldberg, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Kevin Nash and The Great Khali who all feature. It's stupid but fun. Adam Sandler at his deadpanny best. 3/5.

Edited by Lemonade

Paul - It was on ITV2 the other week and I thought I'd leave it on since it's been a while since I saw it last. Not any of the cast's best work, but still pretty damn funny nonetheless. I also forgot all the folk they got to be in this. Jason Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Bill Hader, your friend Charles Boyle from work. 

Get Out - This came on Sky movies. After a right faff with live pause and needing to download it from Sky Store to finish it, I finally got round to watching something that's been high on my list. Loved it. Every moment was perfect. TSA guy was surprisingly funny. I stupidly spoiled the ending by watching Honest Trailers etc. but it kind of worked out well in a way. My first watch felt like my second, and my second (I had to show my gf and parents it) felt like my third. Since I knew what would eventually happen, I could spot all the little bits of foreshadowing and meaning behind a lot of scenes.

Blade Runner 2049

I've seen the original more times than I care to think of, although more so in my teens than in recent years. This film looks amazing, kind of wish I got around to seeing it in the cinema. It's pretty good but rather slow moving and at just over 2.5 hours long I felt it could do with some superfluous stuff cut down but I seem to find that with most films over 2 hours these days. Think I need to rewatch, sometimes you just need to get the first view out of the way. 8/10

Death Rides a Horse

I love Spaghetti Westerns, found this one in the 2nd hand DVD section in Groucho's in Dundee. Lee Van Cleef is in it and Ennio Morricone does the music so therefore it is great. A guy whose family was slaughtered when he was a nipper and he witnessed it all seeks revenge as a gun slinging adult and Van Cleef sort of mentors him. 9/10

The Doors

Hadn't seen this in years. Thought it was great in my late teens when I was a huge Doors fan. It hasn't aged that well. Or maybe I just see it's flaws more now. The big concert scenes are still quite impressive and Val Kilmer shows great committment but the constant goofy grin, stary eyes and mugging into the camera are tedious. His fake beard is shite as well. 5/10

The Hobbit Trilogy

I wnted to re-watch the Lord of the Rings films with my son but he is pernickity and wanted to watch these first. I find them a struggle. The first one is kind of OK but the next 2 are pretty tedious, way too long and plot stretched too thin. Should have been 2 films max. There aren't as many engaging characters as in the LotR films and much as I like Martin Freeman he slips into Tim from The Office mode a bit at times. 6/10

Rock The Kasbah.

Not Bill Murray's finest work by far, but still worth a watch. Started funny, got strange and ended cheesily. 

3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.

One of the best films I've seen in a long while, other than Blade Runner 2049. Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are both superb - as are the rest of the supporting cast. There was one wee detail that bugged me though, but it didn't detract from the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Darkest hour. Not my usual cup of tea, but solid acting from a solid cast. I hadn't even heard about this film until I googled the Bafta nominations. Gary Oldman once again proves he's the fucking best.

The Death of Stalin. Fucking excellent. Can't beat a healthy dose of Soviet black comedy. Not Iannucci's best work, but still pretty gweed.

Edited by James Broonbreed

• 4 weeks later...

Game Over, Man.

Netflix film, starring the 3 main guys from Workaholics being pretty much the guys from Workaholics, but instead of office drones, they're hotel staff, and the hotel is being attacked by terrorists.

If you like Workaholics, you like this. It's silly as fuck, violent as fuck, and for some reason you see a lot of dicks. More dicks than I was expecting to see.

The scene with the staged botched-erotic asphyxiation and the two gay henchmen had me howling. The bit where he throws the lamp at his back instead of hitting him with it made real tears appear. Then when he slaps his junk side to side in victory. Incredible. So much dick.

Workaholics is great fun. It follows the schematic of modern US sitcoms pretty closely. A bit of a slow start, peaks in Season 2 and 3, then outstays its welcome and the last season or so is a massive drop off; which you can say for just about every sitcom in the last decade.

• 2 weeks later...

agreed GAME OVER, MAN' is way better and dickier than expected

Went to see A QUIET PLACE in the cinema, it's pretty damn good! the stairs scene is boak inducing. good jump scares and an interesting  if slightly nonsensical premise, the ending was a little too Marvel for my liking but its a solid modern horror

Also LIFE has been added to Netflix, easily one of my favourite comedies, Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence are bootleggers framed for murder in 1932 and do life in Prison. 

Wonder Woman - This was fantastic. Lived up to the hype. Why can't all DCEU films be like this???

Captain America Civil War - This was okay. I feel like it would have been better if I hadn't read the comics. There were so many avenues they should have went down - how the Sokovia Accords would essentially "unmask" them all, or how inhumane the raft was that certain heroes were sent to for not signing the accords. But no, it's all about bucky. There were some simply epic moments though. Cap grabbing the helicopter and the 3-way fight at the end were just fantastic.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:02 AM, AVB said:

Went to see A QUIET PLACE in the cinema, it's pretty damn good! the stairs scene is boak inducing. good jump scares and an interesting  if slightly nonsensical premise, the ending was a little too Marvel for my liking but its a solid modern horror

Saw this last night. Really good overall. As you say it's solid. Felt quite earnest in a good way - not trying to be something more than it should be. Basic, well-made high-concept horror film. Ending did feel a bit incongruous right enough. 

• Like 1