aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Captain America: Civil War

I gave it a go, as I've read the Civil War comic run and it's very good. Turns out, very little of this film is based on that.

Regardless, it's as-you'd-expect comic book silliness, with outrageous CGI action shots that you can tell cost billions of $$$. Goodies vs Baddies, though the Baddies are actually Goodies, except for that one Baddie. He's an actual Baddie.

They need to stop putting Spider-Man on the big screen until they can get the character right. He is always done terribly. Thankfully, there's not much of him.

Needs more Paul Rudd. Not just this film. Everything. Everything needs more Paul Rudd.

5 out of 10. It's about an hour too long.

The Big Short - Movie about the 2008 mortgage crisis/financial crash. Really great performances by all involved (Brad Pitt, Steve Carrel, Christian Bale and Ryan Goslings are the big stars attached to it). Really interesting and had some proper funny moments. I still don't quite get what happened in 2008, but I know everyone involved was a shitebag. 

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Oh, and Vision too. I'm not fully up to date with all the Iron Man/Cap Yank/Avengers movies. Is Vision is any others? He is stone cold bad ass. I would watch a film with Vision as the lead. With more Paul Rudd. 

He first appears in Age of Ultron.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

The Big Short - Movie about the 2008 mortgage crisis/financial crash. Really great performances by all involved (Brad Pitt, Steve Carrel, Christian Bale and Ryan Goslings are the big stars attached to it). Really interesting and had some proper funny moments. I still don't quite get what happened in 2008, but I know everyone involved was a shitebag. 

Thought this was a really good movie. I can't remember what it was but there was a nice gimmick in it with the camera/editing? Maybe something when they're on the phone? Like they made it seem like the two characters were in the same room or something? I remember thinking at the time it was a fantastic way to keep your attention during what is pretty 'boring' stuff on paper (talking about sub prime mortgages and such).

On 6/2/2017 at 6:15 PM, ca_gere said:

Thought this was a really good movie. I can't remember what it was but there was a nice gimmick in it with the camera/editing? Maybe something when they're on the phone? Like they made it seem like the two characters were in the same room or something? I remember thinking at the time it was a fantastic way to keep your attention during what is pretty 'boring' stuff on paper (talking about sub prime mortgages and such).

The celebs explaining stuff maybe? Like Margot Robbie in the bath or Selena Gomez losing at blackjack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched the documentary about Fat Wreck Chords on that Youtube thing.

Love a good punk doc. It was fun. You don't learn anything you probably didn't already know if you were into that era of punk. It was cool how everyone was waxing lyrical about how amazing that era was, and then Propagandhi really reel it in, and even have a bit of a dig at it all. Cool that they left that in too. There was lots of snippets of HD multi angle live footage that you only see in small doses. Would like to see more of that. They could have padded it out for another half hour if they put some of that in.

6 outta 10. Not as good as the Descendents film.

12 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Watched the documentary about Fat Wreck Chords on that Youtube thing.

Love a good punk doc. It was fun. You don't learn anything you probably didn't already know if you were into that era of punk. It was cool how everyone was waxing lyrical about how amazing that era was, and then Propagandhi really reel it in, and even have a bit of a dig at it all. Cool that they left that in too. There was lots of snippets of HD multi angle live footage that you only see in small doses. Would like to see more of that. They could have padded it out for another half hour if they put some of that in.

6 outta 10. Not as good as the Descendents film.

Ooooh, gotta link?

xx

1 hour ago, Stroopy121 said:

Ooooh, gotta link?

xx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAyoiIxtIQ

You gotta pay to "rent" it on Youtube. £3.50 or something it was. I'd say it's worth it if you're into that 90's Fat Wreck stuff. It's not some scrappy DIY thing either. It's very nicely put together. Top notch production values throughout.

Blair Witch

A sequel to the original film from way back. The brother of one of the original casts goes back to the forest to try and find out what happened. It's the same hand held camera action, with some good jump scares. Overall it is mediocre, but not without it's merits. Frustrating as there are some good ideas and plot points but the execution lets it down.

Rating: Meh

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2017 at 8:42 PM, James Broonbreed said:

"Jim & Andy, The Great Beyond".

Well good documentary for anyone who's a fan of the film Man on the Moon, Jim Carrey, or Andy Kaufman.

Watched this too. Great doc.

part of me was thinking the whole method thing is really pretentious and unnecessary, like just do the part and stop being an ass. On the other hand I know nothing and Jim Carrey is an amazing actor who knows what he’s doing. Either way, it’s worth a watch. Man on the Moon really is one of those underrated classics.

9 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Watched this too. Great doc.

part of me was thinking the whole method thing is really pretentious and unnecessary, like just do the part and stop being an ass. On the other hand I know nothing and Jim Carrey is an amazing actor who knows what he’s doing. Either way, it’s worth a watch. Man on the Moon really is one of those underrated classics.

The only film where I'm guaranteed to greet.

I find that there's a lot of comedic actors who have real acting chops but take very "easy" roles and they never seem to understand the law of diminishing returns.

Adam Sandler is another actor who does terrible comedies yet can do some really good dramatic acting when he needs to. Jim Carrey's last few films were dire, but Man On The Moon and Truman Show and even Cable Guy show how great an actor he really is.

I too watched Jim & Andy recently. Great film. Loved the bits with Jerry Lawler.

Also watched Mudbound the other day. A pretty bleak affair about a young black man returning home to Mississippi after WW2. It's got Mike from Breaking Bad in it as a nasty old racist. It was good, but bleak and dreary.

I gave that Sound City documentary a go too. Didn't realise it was a good few years old, as I'd only heard of it recently. Since Dave Grohl made it, I thought his talking head was going to be plastered all over it, as he is one to do, but he's not in it that much. Good doc though. I didn't know exactly what effect the digital age really had on the analogue recording industry, to the point that some of the biggest reel to reel tape manufacturers went bust. Crazy.

Oh and a few weeks ago, I sat through Kingsman. Anyone ever seen that? Utter bobbins. I can't remember the last time I saw a film so bad that it made me cringe, until this. I think it pips the first Fast and Furious film as the worst film I've ever seen.

I decided to give the live action Ghost in the Shell another chance yesterday...

It's not really as awful as I had previously thought. I think I switched it off after about 20 minutes previously... Definitely not great and I'll probably never watch it again - unlike the original which I've watched a multitude of times due to it being the dogs fucking knackers.

I also started watching Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 this morning, but didn't have time to finish it... Watching movies at 8am is a weird concept... The first 45 minutes was a hoot and I look forward to watching the whole thing at some point - when the missus isn't around to tell me how "shit and stupid" it is....

Watched Jim and Andy, fantastic watch. Loved Man on The Moon, and this seems like a must watch for anyone else who does.

20 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I didn't know exactly what effect the digital age really had on the analogue recording industry, to the point that some of the biggest reel to reel tape manufacturers went bust. Crazy.

Yeah but, lowered noise floor and anyone can have a studio.
You can still record to tape, but a 20 min tape will set you back a few hunner.

Welcome To Leith. A doc about that famous Nazi, Craig Cobb, trying to take over a small town in North Dakota and turn it into some sort of white separatist utopia. Tries to go about it via legal and proper channels. Ends up just being an antagonistic piece of shit (Nazi in being not very nice person shocker!), walking around the town with his massive guns in plain sight, to let everyone know that he's an antagonistic piece of shit with a massive gun.

Pretty much the only time gun ownership has made me feel like "Yeah, right on!" was when some of the surrounding (anti-Nazi) families are putting their own guns on the table and saying "We need these to protect our families. This is my nine, I got it for my birthday". You go, girl. Ice those nazis.

Well made doc, bleak as fuck. Spoiler: No nazis get shot.

Get Out 

Probably the best film i've seen this year. I thought it was excellent. Very intricately put together - no throwaway lines or bits of action that don't contribute to something of value/relevance. If you haven't seen it you should put it at the top of your list to watch next. The last film I got so worked up about was probably Manchester By The Sea.