aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

watched Draft day on Sunday night which was pretty good, but a bit too corporate becasue of the NFL influence. It's a nice story, but it's sort of glued together in an odd way where you know what's happening because people conveniently have conversations which explains the plot line.

Last night I watched Moneyball, having wanted to read the book for ages but not yet got around to it. I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis as an author and I understand this to be a pretty accurate representation of the book, save a few details about the timeline of some of the players involved. really enjoyable film, with some great ideas and a really interesting blend of the classic baseball passion and the modern approach to drafting. Well worth a look.

The Rise and Fall of ECW

I'm not really a wresslin' fan, though I was when I was a kid. Stumbled across this film and gave it a watch. Really good feature-length documentary (it clocks in at almost 3 hours!) about exactly what the title says it's about. Wrestling is fake obvs, but ECW wasn't. You can't fake being put through a table covered in barbed wire and thumbtacks whilst the table itself was on fire! The blood was real. They'd smash each other over the head with anything the crowd threw at them. Frying pans, toilet seats, a kitchen sink. PPV line ups kept changing last minute because they just had so many injuries. Most of it was totally unscripted, and the head-honcho, Paul Heyman, just told his guys to go out, develop your own characters and make something happen. It seems like most of the time, Heyman didn't even know what was going to happen. It was just two (or more) guys just leathering the shite out of each other.

I never knew ECW had such a significant knock-on effect on the WWE. Seems to be recognised that the 'Attitude' era wouldn't have happened if not for ECW and the start of the Attitude era was essentially a gradual absorption of ECW and a large part of their ethos. Prior to that, WWE was marketed at kids and wasn't trying to appear violent. WWE took Foley and Steve Austin to the WWE, and tried to mimmick the violence ECW were doing, introducing tables and ladders and whatnot, adding more brawls in anywhere but the ring, plus Foley being thrown off the top of cages or whatever. Even the Steve Austin character was essentially a rebranding of ECW's The Sandman, which I never knew.

It paints Eric Bischoff and WCW in a pretty bad light. That might be intentional, since it's a WWE film. It only interviews those who went from ECW to WWE as well, so there's probably lots of differing opinions that you don't hear in this film. Still very good though. Worth a watch

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Inside Out - clever and entertaining but a little straight forward plot-wise for a Pixar movie. Or maybe i've got an image in my head of Pixars being more substantial than they are. I hadn't seen one since Wall-E.

City Of God - hadn't re-watched this since I saw it in the cinema I think, but it has stuck in my memory really clearly since then. Fucking mawjik min. Truly gruesome at times. Cinematography is some of the best in the history of film in my opinion. Almost every scene is shot in a way that's not conventional, without it seeming gimmicky. 

• Upvote 1

Last night I watched Moneyball, having wanted to read the book for ages but not yet got around to it. I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis as an author and I understand this to be a pretty accurate representation of the book, save a few details about the timeline of some of the players involved. really enjoyable film, with some great ideas and a really interesting blend of the classic baseball passion and the modern approach to drafting. Well worth a look.

Nah - it doesn't really have anything to do with the book. It's a good movie but not even as close as The Blind Side film was. Takes a couple of incidents, adds a ton of plucky underdog and emotion and makes a film, but the substance and story are completely different.

Edited by colb

I see! Will have to check out the book. Essentially that's what they did with the Blind Side too I suppose. They take the story out of the wider contest that it's being used to explain and have that as a seperate entity.

It's a great book, well worth getting involved with.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's this cool little venue in Poland I go to sometimes called The Sugar Club. It's a gig venue first and foremost but they do cinema nights and cabaret and stuff as well. On Friday night I went to a special screening of Mean Girls. The place was decked out like a high school prom and there was two hours of drinking before the film started so it was rowdy and there was a lot of audience participation throughout. Shouting out lines and cheering and booing. I was at the Asian Nerds table. After it there was a Northshore High School Spring Fling Prom with music from teen films and a prom king and queen and a drag queen host called Regina George. I'm not going to lie to you lads. It was one of the best nights out I've ever had.

• Upvote 4

There's this cool little venue in Poland I go to sometimes called The Sugar Club. It's a gig venue first and foremost but they do cinema nights and cabaret and stuff as well. On Friday night I went to a special screening of Mean Girls. The place was decked out like a high school prom and there was two hours of drinking before the film started so it was rowdy and there was a lot of audience participation throughout. Shouting out lines and cheering and booing. I was at the Asian Nerds table. After it there was a Northshore High School Spring Fling Prom with music from teen films and a prom king and queen and a drag queen host called Regina George. I'm not going to lie to you lads. It was one of the best nights out I've ever had.

That sounds absolutely spectacular!

xx

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lavalantula - Steve Guttenburg plays an aging action movie star caught up in drama when a volcano suddenly erupts in the middle of Los Angeles and spits out a bunch of giant fire-breathing spiders. Yeah it's one of those cheap SyFy channel films with terrible CGI but it's one of the better ones. It's actually really funny, it's surprising how many of these Sand Shark / Sharknado / Two Headed Shark films take themselves really seriously but this really doesn't and and it's got Mahoney AND Jones AND Hooks from Police Academy in it. Get it watched. Or don't, whatever.

Edited by Lemonade