aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Starman: Jeff Bridges is an alien who takes the form of the bit o' gear from Raiders of the last ark's dead husband and he just wants to get back to his alien muckers in Nevada. 

Bit of a cheese fest mostly but I enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges playing a retard/alien is quite amusing.

7/10

Westworld: A theme park in the future has robots that look like real people dressed up as cowboys in the wild west. tourists go there and generally shoot and hump robots  until the robots go wonky and start fucking everyone up - especially Yul Brynner who is some sort of mad hunter killer cowboy in black who just won't fucking die.

The main protagonist (I use the term lightly coz he seems like a total dick) has a totally shanty mozzy and looks like a panned in B-movie Freddy Mercury whilst his cohort looks like a gleckit Patrick Bateman.

6/10

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - this was a tough sell for me, nothing about it sounds like a film I want to watch. A light hearted drama in which a bunch of retired Brits (headed by Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and Bill Nighy) leave behind their lives in Britain to go and spend their retirement in a retirement community in India, which turns out to be a crumbling hotel run by a young Indian chap with lofty ideas but no money. They all discover themselves, blah blah blah. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this.

The Punk Singer - documentary about Kathleen Hanna, lead singer pf Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and Julie Ruin, and also artist, feminist and activist. I've gushed at length before on this site about my admiration for Kathleen Hanna, but ICYMI, I love Kathleen Hanna, so Kathleen Hanna The Movie was always going to appeal to me. Predictably, I absolutely loved, it's probably not even that good, but for fans its a must-see.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

White Men Can't Jump - Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes play a pair of wise-cracking street basketball hustlers. There's a lot of early-90s pastel shades, some baddie gangsters. Stuff happens. For some reason this wasn't terrible.

The reason is because it's fucking ace. Seen it too many times. Great picture.

Every time I watch the actual "white men can't jump" bet scene, I keep hoping it ends differently. My stomach is in knots, praying that Woody pulls off a monster dunk so he doesn't lose all his dough. 

• Upvote 2

The Punk Singer - documentary about Kathleen Hanna, lead singer pf Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and Julie Ruin, and also artist, feminist and activist. I've gushed at length before on this site about my admiration for Kathleen Hanna, but ICYMI, I love Kathleen Hanna, so Kathleen Hanna The Movie was always going to appeal to me. Predictably, I absolutely loved, it's probably not even that good, but for fans its a must-see.

I recorded this on Sky a while back, thought it was pretty decent. I only own one Bikini Kill CD and all the Le Tigre ones, made me want to collect up more but for some reason all her back catalogue is crazy priced. I didnt know she was married to Ad Rock fromBeastie Boys either. For some reason I always thought she was a lesbian.

• Upvote 1

She and Ad Rock are such a power couple. I love how much of an influence she had on him too and how after the Beasties all entered relationships, their lyrics actually spoke about respecting women. That speech he gave about sexual abuse at the MTV Awards is brilliant.

• Upvote 1

I recorded this on Sky a while back, thought it was pretty decent. I only own one Bikini Kill CD and all the Le Tigre ones, made me want to collect up more but for some reason all her back catalogue is crazy priced. I didnt know she was married to Ad Rock fromBeastie Boys either. For some reason I always thought she was a lesbian.

Aye, I wish I hadn't sold mine, I filled in the gaps in my collection from iTunes but it would have been cool to still have the originals. 

I'm never not watching tv. But choice picks of what I watched recently were:

Snow On Tha Bluff - A hyperreal, found footage version of Boyz N The Hood without the weird stand by me rip off. 

Gone Girl - More twists and turns than an OAP in a car. Men are from mars, women are from hell basically.

• 2 weeks later...

Harmontown - Your favourite show runner is actually a dick. He has obvious mental health issues but his attitude has actually put a slant on some of the humour in the new community. Jokes towards NBC and Chevy come across as someone who is very immature and bitter. Great film mind you.

Eagle vs Shark

Found it in a charity shop. Bought it because it had Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords in it. He's very much Jermaine, but without the music. Bit of a dorky yet kind of bleak comedy, a little like Napoleon Dynamite. Nothing really happens, but Jermaine says stuff that is funny. S'alright.

Taxi To The Dark Side - Basically backs up what we know but with some quite disturbing and graphic photo evidence and video. Interviews with soldiers, experts and prisoners. Basically the coallition forces did some fucked up stuff in Afghanistan and Guantanamo. And Bush/Cheney okay'd it all.

• 1 month later...

Went to see Spy yesterday. Was gobsmacked by how ace it was. Avoided rom-com territory in favour of being a straight-forward action/comedy and has some hilarious dialogue and excellent performances. Jude Law's attempt at an generic American accent (or Generican accent, if you will) is a fucking embarrassment, though.

Genuinely the best action comedy I've seen in a long time, right up there with Jump Street and The Other Guys. It's no Citizen Kane, but it's fantastically good at what it does.

5/5

xx

Went to see Spy yesterday. Was gobsmacked by how ace it was. Avoided rom-com territory in favour of being a straight-forward action/comedy and has some hilarious dialogue and excellent performances. Jude Law's attempt at an generic American accent (or Generican accent, if you will) is a fucking embarrassment, though.

Genuinely the best action comedy I've seen in a long time, right up there with Jump Street and The Other Guys. It's no Citizen Kane, but it's fantastically good at what it does.

5/5

xx

Have you heard Jude Law's Aberdonian accent? I bet it's worse than his Generican.