aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Interview

Meh. It starts off pretty well, until the guys actually meet 'Kim Jong Un", then it just gets a bit corny. It's a pretty shitty portrayal of him, even from a satirical point of view. I like Seth Rogen, but James Franco is a bit naff. Worth watching so you can say that you've seen it at least. A few laughs. OK.

Pretty much agree, but I think that James Franco being the turbo moron is responsible for nearly all the laughs. Xx

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Michael Cera plays a gawky hipster (I know, right?) who is hung up on his promiscuous ex. He gets over her by getting it on with some girl who is equally as hip as he is. Somehow they stretch it out to an hour and a half. It was okay.

Boyz N The Hood

I love a good hood film, and I'd somehow never seen this. Every time I've seen Ice Cube in a film, he has been just awful, but he was pretty good in this. The whole film is essentially Ice Cube sitting on his stoop threatening people, whilst Cuba Gooding Jr does his best to stay out of trouble because his dad is a young Laurence Fishburn, and he's straight badass. Great film.

Detachment

A substitute teacher gets a gig in a city high school in Queens NY, which is rough as shit. He builds relationships with a few people from within and outside the school, all of whom are in difficult situations in their lives, and those situations seem to worsen as the film goes on. It was a pretty good film, but quite harrowing and just grim. There's not really a single happy moment in this film. It sometimes seems like it is leading to a happy moment, but then it just gutpunches you. A good, horrible film.

I really liked Nick & Norah.

Tammy - Melissa McCarthy plays female Jack Black (annoying slacker) and gets fired from her fast food job, then embarks on a road trip with her grandmother (Susan Sarandon) to find herself or some shit. They get in to some wacky japes and learn valuable life lessons. It's sort of part wacky comedy and part wistful drama. It's pretty shit at both to be honest. Formulaic and not very funny and everyone becomes a better person in the end.

Detachment

A substitute teacher gets a gig in a city high school in Queens NY, which is rough as shit. He builds relationships with a few people from within and outside the school, all of whom are in difficult situations in their lives, and those situations seem to worsen as the film goes on. It was a pretty good film, but quite harrowing and just grim. There's not really a single happy moment in this film. It sometimes seems like it is leading to a happy moment, but then it just gutpunches you. A good, horrible film.

If that's the one with Adrian Brody and Christina Hendricks in its definitely grim as fuck. Pretty compelling though.

If that's the one with Adrian Brody and Christina Hendricks in its definitely grim as fuck. Pretty compelling though.

That is the one. It was really well put together, and Adrien Brody was excellent. But when it had finished, I couldn't feel feelings anymore.

The bit with the cat in the rucksack was a particular lowlight of grimness.

Interestingly, Bryan Cranston said he really disliked the way the film was adapted from the script, which he said was "beautiful and haunting", and suggests that a lot of the cast felt the same way.

Took a random punt and watched Frank last night. I had no idea what it was about and know pretty much nothing about Frank Sidebottom - although I knew the film wasn't really anything to do with him.

Really good film, weird and good.

Thought it was great, I watched it at the weekend too (maybe it was just whacked on Netflix? Not sure). Nothing to do with the real Frank at all, based on a novel by Jon Ronson I'm led to believe.

Brilliantly shot film, some wonderful performances.

Watched Ichi The Killer (2001) last night. Fucking hell. Never again.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a random punt and watched Frank last night. I had no idea what it was about and know pretty much nothing about Frank Sidebottom - although I knew the film wasn't really anything to do with him.

Really good film, weird and good.

I watched that too (thanks Netflix!), wonderfully quirky.

I really liked at the end when they explain that "nothing happened", he just has a mental health condition - no "oh he had a traumatic childhood experience", it was a real life explanation

Edited by Scubby
  • Upvote 1

The Verdict - Sidney Lumet film with Paul Newman I'd somehow never seen. Courtroom drama with some superb acting all round. Pretty much a must see. Straight into my top 20 films ever, if not top 10.

Interesting, read about this film on AV Club the other day and was intrigued. Will need to track it down.

Thought it was great, I watched it at the weekend too (maybe it was just whacked on Netflix? Not sure). Nothing to do with the real Frank at all, based on a novel by Jon Ronson I'm led to believe.

Brilliantly shot film, some wonderful performances.

Based on his time playing in Frank Sidebottom's band, so the keyboard player is a fictionalised version of himself, so I read anyway. Great film in any case.