aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Christmas viewings:

Alpha Papa.

Liked it alot. The only critique was that they didn't use Michael anywhere near enough. It needed more Michael. It was pretty much standard Partridge otherwise, and that standard equates to - better than most things. 9 out of 10.

Paul

That Pegg and Frost film with Rogen, Bateman, Hader and thingy from Brooklyn Nine Nine. Seen it once before. Really not good on 2nd viewing. Suprising that Pegg and Frost wrote it, considering the lack of funnies. I like Rogen, but his character is dull. Poor. 3 thumbs down.

Home Alone 2

Starring Joe Pesci and some other guys. Joe Pesci is in it, and he is great at being flustered. One of the best. He gets flustered alot, and mumbles semi-profanities. Solid performance. It really isn't a great film though. Lots of references to the first film. His entire family are total bastards and the 2nd film should probably have been about how they are fighting for his custody in court, but social services win the battle and put him in a foster home because his parents are negligent rich cunts. Needless sequel. But I learned a few things whilst watching it. Like "Easy on the Pepsi there" Fuller McCallister is Macaulay Culkins brother in real life, and was also Wallace in Scott Pilgrim vs the World. All things I didn't know.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

I just... I don't like Indiana Jones films, ok? Sorry. I don't think it's aged well either. It's ultra cheesy. The dialogue is total-cringe. Not for me.

Drive

Got the soundtrack for xmas, and was just dying to watch it again. My wee sister had it on dvd and her and my dad had never seen it. It's just perfect from start to finish. Definitely one of my favourite films. Not one bad thing about it. 10/10.

Except the shitty storyline, Gosling's terrible one-dimensional acting, the total and utter lack of any character development and the god-awful soundtrack.

xx

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Kick Ass 2

First one is decent. In the 2nd one, they forgot to include the funnies, but they paper over it with reasonably good violence. One of the primary factors that made the first one good was the completely unhinged Big Daddy. It could easily slot into Nic Cage's top 5 characters. Without him, the film just kind of meanders.

What I don't get is, Kick-Ass was kinda useless in the first film. But they gave him weapons so it was all good. At the beginning of two, you get a training montage with him and Hit Girl, who converts him from weakling to pretty badass. Red Mist/The Motherfucker is a total pussy throughout. You see him trying to fight, realising he's shit, so he gives up and just hires goons. Why didn't Kick-Ass totally destroy him with ease in the final scene?

OK at best. Probably wouldn't watch again.

Independence Day

One of the best garbage action films of all time. The speeches, oh man. That film rocks a great inspirational speech. Will Smith punches an alien in the face. His missus escapes the jaws of death by slipping into a door way to avoid fire blistering through a tunnel, because fire definitely just goes in straight lines, and not into any possible pocket of oxygen. The best bit though, is how everyone is reduced to a job title. Good luck out there, pilot. 10 out of 10.

The House of the Devil

A girl needs money, so takes a babysitting job that isn't what it seems. AvSatanist cult get involved, then stabbings, eye gougings, shootings and poisoned pizza. It was filmed in an 80's horror movie style, and the attention to detail is fantastic.

It's on US Netflix and I highly recommend it.

9/10

Except the shitty storyline, Gosling's terrible one-dimensional acting, the total and utter lack of any character development and the god-awful soundtrack.

xx

I completely disagree. Entirely. I thought the storyline was pretty good, and his acting wasn't one-dimensional. And the character development was fine also. The soundtrack was fabulous.

There's a bit of a trend of these films that just plonk you in the middle of someone's life (kind of like shame) and you have to connect dots yourself. You know what you need to know about the characters, the development was fine. no silly flashbacks or whatever. Shannon says he just rolled in off the street one day looking for a job. Maybe he moved city after he similarly lost his temper. Maybe not. You know he is good with cars and can drive well. You see him doing getaway driving, so that's why he wanted to help Standard. You saw he did stunt driving on the side, which is why he had access to that mask he wears. Everything the put in, and left out, was completely on purpose IMO. The slowness of the moments between Gosling and Mulligan, shows how long he wants these moments to last compared to the relatively normal pace of the rest of the film (and his life). The elevator scene, when the lighting changed, was beautiful. The fact you saw him lose his temper with Shannon before suddenly telling him he needed to leave the city showed that he has trouble controlling this, even around those who he cares about.

I can't fault this film at all.

I completely disagree. Entirely. I thought the storyline was pretty good, and his acting wasn't one-dimensional. And the character development was fine also. The soundtrack was fabulous.

There's a bit of a trend of these films that just plonk you in the middle of someone's life (kind of like shame) and you have to connect dots yourself. You know what you need to know about the characters, the development was fine. no silly flashbacks or whatever. Shannon says he just rolled in off the street one day looking for a job. Maybe he moved city after he similarly lost his temper. Maybe not. You know he is good with cars and can drive well. You see him doing getaway driving, so that's why he wanted to help Standard. You saw he did stunt driving on the side, which is why he had access to that mask he wears. Everything the put in, and left out, was completely on purpose IMO. The slowness of the moments between Gosling and Mulligan, shows how long he wants these moments to last compared to the relatively normal pace of the rest of the film (and his life). The elevator scene, when the lighting changed, was beautiful. The fact you saw him lose his temper with Shannon before suddenly telling him he needed to leave the city showed that he has trouble controlling this, even around those who he cares about.

I can't fault this film at all.

The soundtrack is great but on the whole I felt Drive was summed up perfectly by Adam Carolla when he said it's a "highly stylized piece of shit".

It reminded me of a Luc Besson film from the 80s but without any of the charm. Shot beautifully, wonderful costume, set, makeup, music, etc but utterly hollow. Any film that defaults to a pregnant pause to convey every single emotion is just copping out IMO. The plot is complete cookie-cutter and predictable but the film has gotten this rep as being some clever art-house crossover. Every jaunty camera angle, lingering long shot or jump cut is fooling you into thinking there's something more to this film than Ryan Gosling eye candy.

I just remembered about the unnecessary violence. Why is this film so violent? What purpose did it serve other than to tick another box in the list of things that make a non-mainstream film... Hyper violent? check, minimal dialogue? check, stylized editing and cinematography? check, anti-hero protagonist with questionable morals? check, marketable soundtrack? check.

These elements can be great when used right. Drive just seemed like a fill-in-the-numbers colouring book of them all.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think the violence was box checking at all. It served a purpose. And it could have been a lot more violent. There could have been more blood. There's not a lot of murders. And only a few are even a little bit gorey. 

I love the film for reasons you think it's copping out. to each their own and all that. But i'm right.

Disagree away. Unless it's about Independence Day not being the best shitty action film of all time, because it is.

Im fine with 'Independence Day' as trash viewing (because it is very shit) but cannot comprehend slagging an Indy film for being cheesy and then roundly praising ID! I saw it in the cinema and remember guffawing loudly at Bill Pullmans speech towards the end. Im amazed the Yanks didn't just show that 24/7 after 9/11 to rouse the troops into battle against terror.

And I really liked 'Drive'. Its a great homage to mid-80's Michael Mann films in every way. But it must be said that if Ryan Gosling does one more film as 'broody monosyllabic anti hero' he could see his career slide down the shitter....

Im fine with 'Independence Day' as trash viewing (because it is very shit) but cannot comprehend slagging an Indy film for being cheesy and then roundly praising ID! I saw it in the cinema and remember guffawing loudly at Bill Pullmans speech towards the end. Im amazed the Yanks didn't just show that 24/7 after 9/11 to rouse the troops into battle against terror.

And I really liked 'Drive'. Its a great homage to mid-80's Michael Mann films in every way. But it must be said that if Ryan Gosling does one more film as 'broody monosyllabic anti hero' he could see his career slide down the shitter....

To me, Independence Day is enjoyable cheese. Like Con Air. Indiana Jones was the wrong side of cheesy. It felt like hard work to watch it all the way through, where as Independence Day was joyous.

Speaking of which, watched Con Air the other night too. The bits with Poe running in slow motion to a soundtrack of epic guitar solos is just so righteous. It makes me want to punch the air.