aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The first Transformers film was pretty cool, in that the special effects were pretty jaw dropping and you were too busy getting excited about these huge robots smacking the shit out of each other to worry too much about the storyline, which was passable in any case...by the time of the 2nd one that impact was gone so you were forced to rely on the story, which they seemed to have omitted, it just went ooooooonnnnnn and ooooonnnnnn...I haven't brought myself to watch the 3rd one as yet...

Not at all. People just are missing the point of what I was saying, either deliberately or accidentally.

If Bay, or any of the writing staff, had a story for a trilogy mapped out from the beginning, they could have kept the main element of each film (robots land and have a war, robots land and have a war over the cube, robots land and have a war over a robot). They could have written all 3 at once and made sure there were no plot holes or discrepancies. That's obviously not what happened. It's rarely what happens. If you ignore the plot holes, you've got 3 pretty decent films.

Speaking of this, anyone seen the new pictures of Shia LaBeouf? Cock oot and athin.

Never Let Me Go

Both heartbreaking and disturbing in equal measure and yet another top-notch performance by Carey Mulligan. A very thought-provoking movie and far superior to "The Island" which explores similar themes in the usual American semi-automatic gunfire/elbow-to-the-face fashion. 9/10

Drive

Another intriguing movie with to great central performances by Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan. The violence is used sparingly, but is extreme when it happens. What's more painful is the pregnant pause that occurs before Gosling's character speaks. Very good movie. 8/10

Man On A Ledge

Caper movie, starring Sam Worthington (who's actually quite good). Jamie Bell, Elizabeth Banks, some gorgeous Latino girl and a worrying thin Ed Harris. A complete load of bobbins, but well done and entertaining. 7/10

The only characters I didn't like were the girls. Terrible acting.

Le Bowf's character is nauseating and if they'd had any sense they'd have killed off his parents in between films. Even Malkovich couldn't save his character from being completely ridiculous. I know it's supposed to be a light hearted action adventure and it's probably aimed at a slightly younger audience but they still totally over egged every single performance in that stinking turd of a movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for my annual trip to the cinema yesterday and saw The Angels' Share at the Belmont Cinema. It is a Ken Loach film about a group of Glaswegian community service cons who become interested in whisky leading to some high jinx. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It has some quite gruesomely violent scenes and also some laugh out loud moments, particularly around a character called Albert who was the funniest character I've seen in years. I'd recommend going to see this but don't read too much about it beforehand. The story of the actors is quite fascinating also as few of them are trained professionals. I thought the dialogue was very realistic, perhaps as a result of this. 9/10.

• 3 weeks later...

Mighty Ducks 1 - A touching Disney story about a group of tearaway, ice hockey playing kids who hit rock bottom before fighting through the adversity to triumph.

Mighty Ducks 2 - A touching Disney story about a group of tearaway, slightly older, ice hockey playing kids who hit rock bottom before fighting through the adversity to triumph.

Mighty Ducks 3 - A touching Disney story about a group of tearaway, even older, ice hockey playing kids who hit rock bottom before fighting through the adversity to triumph.

The last two nights have been great.

• Upvote 6

Watched the Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It was probably a mistake reading the book immediately before watching this. They fairly ramped through the plot and left out huge chunks of story that was essential for softening some of the more extreme parts of Lisbeth's character and setting important context for the rest of the film. Where the Wennerstrom affair took up the final third of the book and was always hanging over the characters throughout, in the film it was barely mentioned until the end.

Still you have to expect siginificant changes when taking a novel and cutting it down for the screen. On the whole the important bits are there and the film does a good job of standing on it's on two feet.

• Upvote 1

I watched a fair howk of movies lately. I can't even remember what I've watched.

21 Jump Street - hella funny. Would watch again and again. Was better than I expected considering Channing Tatum is a lead in this.

The Guardian - Pretty decent. Apparently I had seen it before but I couldnt' remember half of it. Good ending.

Woman In Black - I slept with the light on last night. Holy fuck.

Ted.

That new film made by Seth MacFarlane, starring Hollywood niceguy Marky Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis. It was pretty good. Thought it started slow, but it gets good. The story itself is a typical boy loves girl, boy loses girl, boy fights to win girl back story. Ted is essentially a drug taking partying bachelor version of Peter Griffin who simply gatecrashes a dull love story by being foul mouthed. It was taylor-made for Marky Mark because it's set in Boston, so Marky Mark's delivery of his ever-present Boston accent is useful, and there are plenty of reminders that it is set in Boston throughout aside from Marky Mark's accent, including chasing a bad guy through some car park and into the stands of Fenway Park, where the Boston Red Sox play their home games.

Its only a 15 rated film, despite very prominent drug use, nudity, the word CUNT, and a detailed description of Ted penetrating a co-worker with vegetables. I thought it should have been an 18.

Everyone's in it. A few Family Guy folk, Patrick Stewart narrating, Joel McHale from Community, Phoebe's brother Frank from Friends - the one who yells "MY SISTERS GONNA HAVE MY BABY!!". Great guy.

Good film. Bit of a weak story, but plenty of funnies.

• Upvote 1

Guest Bob Knob

Lost in Translation.

One of those films that's been out for ages that everyone seems to have watched apart from me. I really liked it. A good film to chill out to and the soundtrack is awesome. Now I really want to visit Tokyo.

• Upvote 1

Woman In Black - I slept with the light on last night. Holy fuck.

Poove.

Not only did I put the lights out after watching "Woman In Black", I removed all the bulbs and crushed them with my bare feet, before reading the Necronomicon whilst shouting the Lord's Prayer backwards. After that, I stood in a pentagram and said "Candyman" into the mirror 5 times....so I did.

• Upvote 4

Ted.

That new film made by Seth MacFarlane, starring Hollywood niceguy Marky Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis. It was pretty good. Thought it started slow, but it gets good. The story itself is a typical boy loves girl, boy loses girl, boy fights to win girl back story. Ted is essentially a drug taking partying bachelor version of Peter Griffin who simply gatecrashes a dull love story by being foul mouthed. It was taylor-made for Marky Mark because it's set in Boston, so Marky Mark's delivery of his ever-present Boston accent is useful, and there are plenty of reminders that it is set in Boston throughout aside from Marky Mark's accent, including chasing a bad guy through some car park and into the stands of Fenway Park, where the Boston Red Sox play their home games.

Its only a 15 rated film, despite very prominent drug use, nudity, the word CUNT, and a detailed description of Ted penetrating a co-worker with vegetables. I thought it should have been an 18.

Everyone's in it. A few Family Guy folk, Patrick Stewart narrating, Joel McHale from Community, Phoebe's brother Frank from Friends - the one who yells "MY SISTERS GONNA HAVE MY BABY!!". Great guy.

Good film. Bit of a weak story, but plenty of funnies.

Exactly what I thought.