aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I considered watching this, but opted for The Departed instead. I'm not sure if I made the correct decision though.

The Departed is superb and undoubtably a better film than Top Gun. But not necessarily a better Sunday night film.

The fight in The Departed where he smashed that guy's face in with the coat-stand is the only part of The Departed I can ever really remember, but blimey, what a part.

Top Gun

The dialog and acting gets worse every time I see it but I still love this film.

Awesome, awesome movie. I still get a lump in my throat every time

Goose dies.

I watched Hard Target last night. Jean Claude Van Damme takes on a group of rich bastards who pay homeless guys $20,000 and give them a 5 minute headstart to get out of the city before they come after them with rifles and bow and arrows and stuff. To quote The Misfits, "we're hunting humans!". John Woo directs and it's very recognisable as a John Woo film. It's surprisingly good, lots of action and ass kicking. JCVD's character Chance Boudreax is the man that every guy should aspire to be like. Mullet and all.

Here's him running away from an explosion:

600full-hard-target-screenshot.jpg

Here's him punching out a fucking snake.

2zemidw.jpg

And standing on a motorbike while shooting.

van-damme-hard-target.jpg

And simply looking cool in a trenchcoat.

hard_target4.jpg

LAD!

• Upvote 1

The fighter. - Pretty pants. Bale is good, in that he actually acts whereas Marky Mark just seems to play himself in every-fucking-thing he's in. Shit ending. Nothing really happens of any note and it tries to be both a kitchen sink drama and a caricature ensemble thing, without being either very well.

I thought about watching The Departed again, but also opted for Top Gun. It's incredible guys. The volleyball scene is outstanding.

The gay subtext in that scene is as subtle as a flying mallet.

Howl

Superb biopic about Allen Ginsberg and his seminal book "Howl and Other Poems", centered around the 1957 obscenity trial. Great central performance by James Franco, who's shaping up nicely as a serious actor.

The director uses a split kind of narrative which alternates between straightforward courtroom scenes, cartoons depicting the poems stanzas, a mock interview with Ginsberg and archive footage. 'Ole Don Draper himself, Jon Hamm, plays the defence attorney, with the excellent David Strathairn as the prosecutor. Fabulous. 10/10

The fighter. - Pretty pants. Bale is good, in that he actually acts whereas Marky Mark just seems to play himself in every-fucking-thing he's in. Shit ending. Nothing really happens of any note and it tries to be both a kitchen sink drama and a caricature ensemble thing, without being either very well.

Have to agree I couldn't help feel a little disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Jackass 3

The slapstick was brilliant, the scat and spew less so. At times I thought I was going to vomit.

The King's Speech

Deserved all the plaudits it got. I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about this film. It was genuinely brilliant, entertaining and enthralling. Great performances from all involved.

Had a dream I stole Tom Hanks' Jeep and converted the back seats/boot into a bed so he'd be more comfortable, but he was ABSOLUTELY raging at me and said "MY JIGSAWS WERE IN THE BOOT" and kept trying to punch me.

8.5/10. Would watch again if necessary.

The King's Speech

Deserved all the plaudits it got. I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about this film. It was genuinely brilliant, entertaining and enthralling. Great performances from all involved.

I've not heard or read a bad word about this film, so I'm going to make the effort to watch it.

True Grit (2010) - Classic Western storyline with fantastic actors, well directed with a great script. I love Jeff Bridges 8/10

xXx - Extreme sports enthusiast turned secret agent in sub par Bond rip off. I don't even like Bond films. This stank. Hot bird in it though. 2/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Green Hornet

Pretty enjoyable but nowhere near as well executed as the recent Marvel superhero films. Could've been better than it was.

Buried

Fantastic premise. Brilliant performance from Ryan Reynolds. I just felt a bit disappointed at the end for some reason

I think it's because it had the bleak death ending and I'm a sucker for a happy ending

Dinner For Schmucks - The best part is obviously Carell doing his Brick/Michael Scott routine. If he gets typecast, it wouldn't be the worst thing, he's just so funny at it. Pretty decent film. Laughed quite a lot. 8/10

Cyrus - I think it was meant to be a comedy, but I didn't laugh much. I enjoyed it. But it wasn't funny in the slightest. So I mean, a a comedy it was maybe 2/10, but as a movie without a genre I'd give it a solid 7.

Much of my viewing lately has been via cinema visits or DVD watches with my son.

The Smurfs

A few smurfs get transported through a time portal to New York, closely pursued by arch enemy the wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) and his cat Azriel. They end up in Doogie Howser MD's home while trying to find a way to get the portal back to get home. Better than expected, some good laughs interspersed with some cheesy shite.

7/10

Cars 2

Bad guys are sabotaging races that Lightning McQueen is competing in. Idiot tow truck Mater gets mistaken for a secret agent by real car secret agent Finn McMissile (Michael Caine) at a race in Japan. Things spill around the world to Paris and London. QUite enjoyed this, decent Bon spoofy type stuff.

8/10

How to Train Your Dragon

Weedy Viking kid befriends a rarely seen and dangerous type of dragon and learns that their real nature is not as previously thought. His Dad is the head Viking who wants to kill dragons and is determined to find their nest. You can see where this is going. Really liked this one.

9/10

Tangled

New take on the tale of Rapunzel. Some OK laughs but more girly than others above. The wife enjoyed it more than me.

6/10