aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Watched a couple of films while out at the in-laws.

Due Date - Lots of people have called it a rip off of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Well I have yet to see that. So I can't compare. I can say that it was quite funny. I wasn't rolling around holding my stomach. But a couple of bits got a good 'HA' out of me. I also like that Zack Ghaslkjg beardy man got to give crying and a semi-serious part a go. Which he did surprisingly well. The only bad part of the film was the moment when they got high and he was hallucinating... Such a stupid mistake. Downey Jr was in jail, surely he's tried pot... surely? He should know you don't see bloody horse heads. Apart from that it was pretty good. Not my favourite comedy of the year, but a pretty decent film.

7/10

Tangled - Disney's take on the story of Rapunzel. A brilliant film. Made better by the horse and chameleon. They are hilarious. Some pretty decent songs and Rapunzel is definitely wank bank material, even for a cartoon.

8/10

Child's Play - Fun for nostalgia reasons, and for the idea of a cute childs toy being a psycho knife-killer, but really it's a load of old poo and not scary. Very tongue in cheek.

Source Code - Basically Inception meets Quantum Leap. Half sci-fi, half whodunit, I enjoyed this very much.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona - The first Woody Allen film I've ever watched. I suppose it is a romantic comedy but far from the standard in that genre. Really enjoyable, funny and quite touching in parts. Great cast (Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johansen, Rebecca Hall are all excellent, particularly Cruz as an unhinged artist), characters and script. A return to form according to most reviews but I appreciate it won't be one of his best - I've got more coming to me as recommended by users on here. Still, I'd give it 8/10.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona - The first Woody Allen film I've ever watched. I suppose it is a romantic comedy but far from the standard in that genre. Really enjoyable, funny and quite touching in parts. Great cast (Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johansen, Rebecca Hall are all excellent, particularly Cruz as an unhinged artist), characters and script. A return to form according to most reviews but I appreciate it won't be one of his best - I've got more coming to me as recommended by users on here. Still, I'd give it 8/10.

I heard there is a Cruz / Johansen sex scene. Is this correct?

Vicky Cristina Barcelona was good but there was also something annoying about it that I can't put my finger on.

Great cast though who give great performances.

I thought the Wedding Crashers wasn't too bad for what it is. I always look more kindly on these types of films when they have Stiller and WIlson starring as they are both great. Especially Owen Wilson.

Up

Disney Pixar film. Totally not a kids film. It's pretty dark and whilst the ending is reasonably a happy one, it's all within quite saddening circumstances. Very enjoyable though. All the characters are great, and the premise, whilst being very far fetched, is quite original.

Jackass 2

Still not seen 3 yet, so I'm working towards it by seeing this. Usual stuff really. Depends on which of the cast you like best I think though. I'm mostly a fan of (Danger) Ehren McGeehee and Dave England who are in this quite alot. Ehren gets majorly pranked at the end, whilst trying to prank a taxi driver, which had me almost in tears. I can't stand Bam though, but his parts are reasonably limited. Steve-O goes above on beyond his outlandish pain threshold, as expected, if you dig that sort of thing. Reasonable film. preferred it to the first one I think, due to it having more Ehren and Dave.

Jackass 2

Still not seen 3 yet, so I'm working towards it by seeing this. Usual stuff really. Depends on which of the cast you like best I think though. I'm mostly a fan of (Danger) Ehren McGeehee and Dave England who are in this quite alot. Ehren gets majorly pranked at the end, whilst trying to prank a taxi driver, which had me almost in tears. I can't stand Bam though, but his parts are reasonably limited. Steve-O goes above on beyond his outlandish pain threshold, as expected, if you dig that sort of thing. Reasonable film. preferred it to the first one I think, due to it having more Ehren and Dave.

J3 has probably enough Ehren and Dave (Dave has a particularly impressive Dave speciality moment, clue - it involves poo) to keep you happy. And Bam getting 'high-fived' is one of the funniest things I've seen. I think it's my favourite of the 3 although J2 runs it close.

I also saw Guliver's Travels. I saw Jack Black was in it. I thought hmm... then I noticed Jason Segel was in it and I was like "right we're on to a winner". We weren't. It was ok. Obviously one for the kids. Puts a modern twist on the story of Gulliver's Travels. Few funny moments but not enough "jokes that mum and dads get that fly over the kids heads" for a kids film with such great comedy actors (Segel, McDowd, Tate etc).

Wouldn't buy it on dvd. Would watch it again if it was on tv. But I'm not that fussed. It is what it is. It's not aimed at people who want clever comedy or heartbreaking drama. It's a 'funny' film for the family.

5/10

If the bird thing you mean is why didnt they just fly to mordor on the same bird that took them home, its because sauron would have spotted them miles away and killed them. They wouldnt have had a chance.

Xx

Yep, aBSOLUTELY PLUS REMEMBER THE WHOLE STORY IS OF EGO. tHE ONLY BEING THAT CAN WEAR OR TRAVEL WITH THE RING IS A HOBBIT. aLL OTHERS END UP WANTING TO EXPLOIT THE RINGS POWERS. THATS THE SINGLE REASON THE HOBBITS ARE SO IMPORTANT IN THIS TALE. THEY JUST WANT A GOOD FEED. THINK OF A GIANT EVIL INVISIBLE EAGLE WITH NOTIONS OF MIDDLE EARTH DOMINATION AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Upvote 1

Yep, aBSOLUTELY PLUS REMEMBER THE WHOLE STORY IS OF EGO. tHE ONLY BEING THAT CAN WEAR OR TRAVEL WITH THE RING IS A HOBBIT. aLL OTHERS END UP WANTING TO EXPLOIT THE RINGS POWERS. THATS THE SINGLE REASON THE HOBBITS ARE SO IMPORTANT IN THIS TALE. THEY JUST WANT A GOOD FEED. THINK OF A GIANT EVIL INVISIBLE EAGLE WITH NOTIONS OF MIDDLE EARTH DOMINATION AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't understand what just happened. I know the story and why it is how it is. I said what i said in jest. Then someone came in with caps and ruined it. :down:

Recent viewings....

Mother

Excellent Korean production about the mother of a simple-minded 28-year-old man who will stop at nothing to prove his innocence when he's accused of the murder of a young girl. 8/10

The American

Slow-moving character study about a hit man who is hiding out in a small Italian town following an attempt on his life. Intruiging and well acted. Stars George Clooney. 7/10

The Kids Are All Right

Not the famous 'Oo documentary, but a comedydrama about a same-sex couple (Annette Bening and Julianne Moore) who's lives get complicated when their teenage son and daughter make contact with their mutual sperm donor (Mark Ruffalo). Highly enjoyable with hilarious sex scenes between Moore and Ruffalo. 7.5/10

Trainspotting

Haven't seen this in years, but it's still a compelling movie, with endless amounts of quotable dialogue. Boaby Carlyle's "Franco Begbie" is the stuff of legends and Spud's job interview is a highlight. 9/10

Fanboys

A group of Star Wars geeks take a road trip to break into the Skywalker Ranch to try and get a pre-release viewing of 'The Phantom Menace' before one of them dies of cancer. Not as funny as I'd hoped it would be but did have a few good bits, several decent cameos. Seth Rogen was quite amusing as a Star Trek nerd.

7/10

Fan Boys was reasonable. Ridiculous amounts of Star Wars references too, which was fun. The girl in it was a looker also. But they always have to have a hot girl in a film about nerds. Always.

The same lass that was in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall'. I like her better with dark hair. She looks nice in her Princess Leia bikini as well.

I watched Buried last night. It was OK but I found it was wearing thin after about an hour. Ryan Reynolds as sole visual character did a good job though. Bit of continuity issues with the amount of space he had to manouvere in in my mind though. That's not talking about the obvious aids to camera movement. One minute he could barely move and the next he was turning about all over the shop.

7/10

Watched Office Space for the umpteenth time with my Dad last night. Guffaws all around.

Then watched Imagine Me and You. Lovely film, complete and total romcom with a few laugh out loud moments. Anthony Stewart Head as the slightly ditzy dad is great, I'm in love with Piper Perabo and wish Lena Hedley would show me how to yell properly at football games.