aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Super High Me Documentary about an American comedian who takes the Super Size Me format and swaps McDonalds for Marijuana. For 30 days he smokes none and takes various physical and mental tests. For the next 30 days he smokes from dawn til dusk and takes the same tests. The film is cut with sections of stand up are quite funny and has a sub-story about the legalisation of weed in California Vs the illegality of it in the USA. It doesnt really say much or prove anything (other than smoking increased his sperm count!) but was quite amusing nonetheless. 7/10.

Top Secret 80s WWII Spy Spoof with Val Kilmer by the makers of Airplane! I didnt even know this film existed. Pretty funny if you like that sort of thing. 7/10

Johnny Mad Dog Gritty, violent film about African child soldiers in a fictional West African country. I imagine this was an honest portrayal of what it is/was like in some of these countries. It was pretty terrifying, gruesome and well shot but the story itself wasnt particularly engaging. 5/10

Brooklyns Finest Don Cheadle, Richard Gere and Ethan Hawke play Brooklyn cops with their own separate stories. I almost switched this off after half an hour because it was so riddled with clichs and hammy acting. Im glad I didnt though because the acting and the story seemed to get better as it continued to the point that I rather enjoyed how it all ended. 7.5/10 (an extra 0.5 for Wee Bey and Omar from the Wire)

Ice Age 2 - Meltdown Not as tear-jerking as the first one. (When they give the baby back? Yup, I bubbled again. I'm a right shirt lifter.) But still good. A fun kids film. Nothing more to really be said about it. Hopefully I'll be watching a few new films as it's only two days until I open presents and an awful lot seem to be rectangular cuboids.

Anyway, Ray Romano against Queen Latifa works pretty well. And there's some bits where you giggle like a kid. Like the dodos copying Sid - brilliant.

Been watching a few Jet Li films recently for no apparent reason other than they're the closest films to hand when I put the preceeding one back in its place.

War - Jet and Statham in a film that is absolutely terrible. Only really worth watching for Devon Aoki and Nadine Velasquez. Having said that, they're barely in it anyway.

Romeo Must Die - The first film made in America that he was actually the leading man in. Alright, funny in places, but ruined by some shonky CG. Aaliyah's quite hot in it.

The One - Watchable nonsense, the storyline of which is like a badly updated Highlander concept. Statham's in this one too, but much less annoying. Delroy Lindp is for some reason my favourite in the film - apart from Carla Gugino.

The Expendables - Ace! Not as good on a second watching, but still brilliant just for the sheer nostalgia brought on by it being so sweet a homage to the late 80s/early 90s action films I grew up on (right down to the deliberately bad CG fire near the end) and comical action hero lines.

Monsters - interesting and mostly enjoyable low-budget science fiction film. Having said that, the plot was a bit contrived and it also falls between a lot of stools: not enough action for an action film, not enough cleverness for a high-brow film, not enough science fiction for a real SF film. A good film but perhaps a missed opportunity given the interesting premise on which it's built.

I'd do her in real life simply because of how hot her character is in Megamind.

Titan made a brilliant bad guy too - but I still hate jonah hill!

xx

Shove on a loop of her animation on the tv and doing it from behind sounds good.

Anyway,

Meet The Parents - Little Fockers Much funnier than I thought it would be. And Jessica Alba? Nice addition to the cast. Some really funny jokes. The story didn't seem that important it just seemed to be joke after joke after joke. Which, IMO was quite nice.

I wish they had just called it Little Fockers. But then again, the kids don't actually play that big of a part in the film.

What with the shite weather and all, its been a veritable smorgasbord of movies at Casa Diesel. Here are a few...

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane

Found it in the Blu-Ray cheap racks. There was a very good reason why it was there. Suspense-and-shock-free slasher movie. Utter gash. Avoid. 0/10

The Unborn

Well made horror movie with some good ideas and visuals, but strangly uninvolving. Stars the cutie who played "Beth" in Cloverfield. Gary Oldman, Carla Gugino (rrrrr...) and the ubiquitous Idris Elba pick up some pocket money in supporting roles. 4/10

Up In The Air

Terrific serio-comic character study with Big Handsome George and Vera Farmiga. Mr Clooney plays socially detached, but charming consultant who travels all over the US firing people on behalf of the companies who are making them redundant. He rents a 1-bed flat and spend about 320 days a year "In The Air". A chance encounter in hotel bar and a new colleague forces him him to re-evaulate his life. Absolutely superb. 9.5/10

Black Death

British/German production starring Sean Bean as a knight who leads a team of witch hunters during the Black Death. The team are dispatched to a village that has seemingly escaped the plague and where a dead-raising necromancer is rumoured to live. Decent pot-boiler, but ultimately disappointing. 5/10

Shelter

Julianne Moore plays a female forensic psychiatrist who discovers that all of her patient's (Jonathan Rhys-Meyers) multiple personalities are murder victims. Plays like an X-Files episode, which is a compliment. Worth a few beers and some popcorn. 7/10

Broken Embraces

A news report about the death of a corrupt tycoon causes a blind screenplay writer to revisit his past in this beautifully shot, well acted and slow-moving mystery. The story moves back and forth between the present and the key events of 14 years previous. Stars Penelope Cruz, who gets her lungs out in a few scenes. Subtitled. Pretty good. 7.5/10

Robocop

Hadn't seen it in yonks. Still absolutely brilliant. Compulsary viewing. Phil Tippets now-obsolete stop-motion effects look even better in the age of soulless and sterile CGI. Kurtwood Smith's Clarence Boddiker is one of the best movie villains ever - "Can you fly Bobby?". Unmissable. 10/10

The Wrestler - not actually very good, in my opinion. Or maybe it was good... It seemed good when I was watching it and I'd heard it was excellent but I immediately forgot about it as soon as it finished. Rourke is good, but thet characters around him are pretty dull. 6/10

Its Complicated - Yer fella' from the American Office is funny and Meryl Streep is obviously a very good actress, but the film was awful. Not surprising really, even for a rom-com. 4/10 (ps: Steve Martin's face...)

Diesel, Up in the Air is brilliant IMO. I'm surprised that not many other people I know like it. Clooney is such a dream.

Of Gods and Men - A film about a group of French monks in Algeria, getting caught up in the crossfire between Islamist terrorists and the army. It centres on the dilemmas they face in dealing with the deteriorating situation, whether they should stay or leave, get protection from the army or treat injured terrorists. Beautifully paced, filmed and acted - probably the best I've seen all year. One of those films it takes a while to recover from.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 - I can't wait until the next one. I kept wondering all the way through "where are they gonna cut it in half!?" But it was done perfectly. If there was one more swear word it probably would've been a 15, due to the harry/hermoine naked thing going on near the end. Oh, it seemed as if they got Daniel Radcliffe to take his top off at every chance, but apart from that it was probably the best of the series so far. And as far as I can tell it has kept the most in from the books out of any of them.

I'm sure I went to see something else. Can't remember what...

Uncle Boonmee who can recall his past lives: Splendidly unorthodox Thai film. I'm a big fan of slow films where not much happens and this fits the bill really well. Kind of like a Thai Tarkovsky - resolutely quirky throughout and about as far removed from most current films as you can get. The sound is really amazing in this film - adds to the dream-like atmosphere a lot.

The Bucket List - life long mechanic/family man Morgan Freeman and hospital owner/heartless multi millionaire Jack Nicolson have terminal cancer. As such they decide to write a list of things they'd like to do before they die and with Nicolson's character's money set about doing this whilst teaching each other a thing or two along the way. The story is a bit naff and sentimental as you'd expect but the performances from the two greats are....great. I probably cried a bit at the end. 7/10

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Formulaic rom-com with the same actors and style of humour as films like Super Bad, Knocked Up, Role Models etc. It's quite clever how they are making essentially mushy films like this that appeal to men/boys because the humour is the off the wall brand. I think the main actor Jason Segel is hilarious and the love interest Mila Kunis is pretty tasty. Russell Brand puts in a good turn as Rock Star Aldous Snow, the same character he plays in "Get Him to the Greek" 7.5/10.

Dirty Harry - I probably don't need to give a synopsis of this one. I'd never actually seen it before so watched it last night. Stylish, tense, funny, cool, violent, ace. 10/10

Guest Bob Knob
I haven't watched it but I saw it in HMV - A Serbian Film

I read the plot, the controversies and the reviews (all of which say don't watch it), so why do I want to watch it? Anyone here had the guts to sit through it? Was it worth it?

I've watched it and I will never watch it again.

I haven't watched it but I saw it in HMV - A Serbian Film

I read the plot, the controversies and the reviews (all of which say don't watch it), so why do I want to watch it? Anyone here had the guts to sit through it? Was it worth it?

The one in HMV will be cut. Seeing as the only point in the film is all the tasteless stuff, really not much point watching the cut version.

I don't fancy it myself.