aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Predators - watched it at the cinema but missed the first ten mins due to the missus finishing late at work, some cock sitting in my chair then knocking my hotdog flying when I decided to just go by them and sit in the nearby chairs since the film had already started. Now that I've seen the whole thing, I feel I can pass judgement. Enjoyed it on the whole, but Topher Grace is incredibly annoying pretty much every moment he's on screen. If they insisted on having that character, why not have someone like Steve Buscemi do it? He'd have done it much better, even if trying to play it the same way.

Splintered which was so awful I mention it only as a warning to others. No idea how this got in my queue..

Shadowmakers AKA Fat Man and Little Boy Spent much of the movie trying to figure out that Robert Oppenheimer is Howling Mad Murdoch from the A-Team. It's a very Hollywood take on the subject of the Manhattan Project with hand-wringing intellectuals versus paranoid generals, still quite interesting.

Secretary

Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader star in this offbeat movie about a girl, just released from a mental institution who gets a job in lawyers office and starts a sadomasochistic sexual relationship with her boss. Great movie. 8/10

Elizabeth

Period piece, starring Cate Blanchett as the young Queen Elizabeth 1st and her ascent to the throne following the death of Queen Mary (Kathy Burke). Superb movie with an interesting cast, featuring Daniel Craig, Kelly McDonald, Sir John Geilgud, Joseph Fiennes, Angus Deayton and Eric Cantona as a French emissary. Blanchett is excellent in the title role, but the show is stolen by Geoffrey Rush as her protector, Lord Walshingham. 9/10

The Disappearance of Alice Creed

When I saw Eddie Marsan's name in the credits, I thought that this might be good. But it's beyond dreadful. Even the naked form of Gemma Arterton can't save this dreary mess. Avoid. 1/10

American Gangster

Entertaining, if wildly inaccurate, portrayal of the rise of Harleem drug dealer Frank Lucas (Denzel Washington), following the death of the legendary Bumpy Johnston. Russell Crowe plays Richie Roberts, the honest cop working against a corrupt police department to bring him down. Also stars Cuba Gooding Jnr and Idris "I'm in everything" Elba. The movie, by Lucas' own admission, is "20% accurate". 7/10

I watched the Human Centipede yesterday.

I actually felt physically sick at times.. not because the film is overly graphic but because of the way it forces you to think about some pretty horrible concepts.

Don't think I'd recommend this film as such but I'm definitely intrigued to see the sequel next year..

Don't fancy this one at all. Imagin a Human Centipede/Serbian Film double bill, gadz min.

Watched The Killer Inside Me the other night. I thought it was brilliant. Not as grizzly as it had been made out to be, a couple of very violent scenes though.

Coincidentally had watched the first episode of The Trip the night before, also directed by Michael Winterbottom and also brilliant. He's one versatile mofo.

Don't fancy this one at all. Imagin a Human Centipede/Serbian Film double bill, gadz min.

Watched The Killer Inside Me the other night. I thought it was brilliant. Not as grizzly as it had been made out to be, a couple of very violent scenes though.

Coincidentally had watched the first episode of The Trip the night before, also directed by Michael Winterbottom and also brilliant. He's one versatile mofo.

I really enjoyed The Killer Inside Me, though like you i thought the violent element was not as grizzly as it'd been made out. Casey Affleck was fantastic in it.

I actually want to see Human Centipede and possibly A Serbian Film as well, just purely out of cinematic interest of course (and maybe to add a little spice to Asphyxiwank Wednesdays).

I really enjoyed The Killer Inside Me, though like you i thought the violent element was not as grizzly as it'd been made out. Casey Affleck was fantastic in it.

Quite fancy that one. I saw the 1976 Stacey Keach version back in the 80's, which was quite good.

And it's "grisly" - unless of course, there are bears in it (as opposed to bare erses).

Sorry :O

Predators - watched it at the cinema but missed the first ten mins due to the missus finishing late at work, some cock sitting in my chair then knocking my hotdog flying when I decided to just go by them and sit in the nearby chairs since the film had already started. Now that I've seen the whole thing, I feel I can pass judgement. Enjoyed it on the whole, but Topher Grace is incredibly annoying pretty much every moment he's on screen. If they insisted on having that character, why not have someone like Steve Buscemi do it? He'd have done it much better, even if trying to play it the same way.

I watched this last week and totally never realised Topher Grace was in it, who did he play?

Elizabeth

Period piece, starring Cate Blanchett as the young Queen Elizabeth 1st and her ascent to the throne following the death of Queen Mary (Kathy Burke). Superb movie with an interesting cast, featuring Daniel Craig, Kelly McDonald, Sir John Geilgud, Joseph Fiennes, Angus Deayton and Eric Cantona as a French emissary. Blanchett is excellent in the title role, but the show is stolen by Geoffrey Rush as her protector, Lord Walshingham. 9/10

Love this film, pity the follow up was so dull, pretty disappointing...

The Sixth Sense - an oldie but a goodie, and still manages to be both moving and also quite spooky. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it, and don't read the spoilers online first. Also look out for a young Mischa Barton.

Adulthood - The follow up to Kidulthood, which I loved. This was a disappontment. It follws the baddie of the first piece after he gets released from 6 years in prison and tries to turn his life around and get on the straight and narrow, before being unwittingly sucked back into the street violence. Most of the characters from the first one returned, but they didn't reintroduce them so if you hadn't seen the first one for a while (which I haven't) you wouldn't really know who any of them are, also some of the plot was convoluted and overly complicated. Avoid.

American Pie 4 : Band Camp - fully expected this to be shite but was pleasantly surprised as it was funny as fuck. Lots of crude gags and imaginative swearing - exactly my type of humour.

Hellboy - Didn't enjoy this, found it extremely dull.

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers - my girlfriend is obsessed with these old musicals - me not so much. She made me watch this, I thought it was ass, and the songs weren't very good, though some of the dancing was impressive. If you like this you're probably gay.

St Elmo's Fire

My partner bought this off eBay for my daughter and it arrived yesterday so we decided to watch it. It has dated really, really badly and to be honest, it's not that good. Still, we had an evening of misty-eyed 80's nostalgia and a good laugh at Mare Winnigham's clothes!

5/10

Shut your mouth. St. Elmo's Fire is a classic! How I long for such a close group of friends who are all flawed and struggling to come to terms with their responsibilties...

St Elmo's Fire - fucking love it. An unofficial sequel to the Breakfast Club.

St Elmo's Fire - still a classic.

The Social Network: It's alright, about as good as posh spazz's fighting over ideas in court can be.

Due Date: Pretty funny, ruined by the trailers and not as good as The Hangover, but very enjoyable

Jackass 3D: Amazing use of 3D, if you like the show you'll love this. Bigger, Better, Sorer, Funnier.

The Human Centipede: Quite enjoyed it. Better than I expected, quite eerie / plausible compared to slashers etc.

Wall St Money never sleeps: Boring, long, rubbish story. Impossible to feel sorry for city bankers.

Shut your mouth. St. Elmo's Fire is a classic! How I long for such a close group of friends who are all flawed and struggling to come to terms with their responsibilties...

So....if I'm reading this correctly, you're a fan of St Elmo's Fire?

Seriously, I just found all of the characters really irritating in some way or another - or maybe that was the whole point?

Jenny Wright (Felicia) would have got it though. Oddly, she just disappeared off the radar completely and attempts to trace her for a Near Dark reunion were fruitless.

Another Year: New Mike Leigh film. I thought maybe his best for a while, although it's not a particularly funny one. A bit downbeat really. Quite thought-provoking and with some characteristically 'real' acting.

The Kids are All Right: This was kind of 'all right' I suppose - an interesting concept anyway. It sort of petered out into a fairly typical 'marital infidelity' kind of film in the end. I'd have liked a bit more on the kids and their perspective on things, which seemed to get marginalised as the film went on.

The Horde

Pretty crazy French zombie film. A group of cops go to a run down apartment block to seek revenge on the gang who killed a colleague. The building is laid seige by zombies and they have to team up to survive. No real explanation as to why the zombies suddenly appear but it's full on nutcase action all the way. Best not to think too much about plot and just enjoy guns, machetes and fists against zombies. I thought it was ace. Only 5 quid in Asda as well...

9/10

Iron Man 2

Annoyingly this was delivered by love film on DVD the week before I got a blu ray player. Still, despite only being viewed in a slightly grainy upscaled capacity it was stupid, entertaining fun. Sam Rockwell and Downey Jr were brilliant and Scarlett Johansson

was wearing a black leather catsuit. You can't ask for much more from a film.

Iron Man 2

Annoyingly this was delivered by love film on DVD the week before I got a blu ray player. Still, despite only being viewed in a slightly grainy upscaled capacity it was stupid, entertaining fun. Sam Rockwell and Downey Jr were brilliant and Scarlett Johansson

was wearing a black leather catsuit. You can't ask for much more from a film.

The Rourkester was fantastic in that too IMO

xx