aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Night Porter

Dirk Bogarde is an ex-Nazi SS officer called Max working as a night porter in a hotel in the late 50s who is part of a small group of ex-Nazis devising plans to delete the history of their past to avoid it being used against them. Charlotte Rampling plays the wife of a composer who comes to stay at the hotel and turns out to be an ex-prisoner-come-lover of Max during the war. When her husband goes off on his travels they revisit their sado-masochistic relationship while trying to avoid the attention of his ex-comrades. I guess this would have been pretty controversial in its day and its an OK watch but a bit drawn out. Rampling gets her boobs out dressed as a Nazi. Not often you see that I suppose.

7/10

Watched No Country For Old Men again on the telly last night.

Great film but

I don't understand the motel scene with the satchel and the air vent at all. Firstly, why bother with such an elaborate deception when the odds of discovery seem equal if he stayed put and secondly why was the adjacent room full of armed Mexicans? Were these Mexicans related to the drug deal clusterfuck and how the hell would they know where Llewelynn would be given Anton had the tracker for the transponder?

you know?

Easy A: Somewhere between Mean Girls and American Pie, quite funny, quite entertaining, main girl tries quite hard to carry film. Above average teen comedy.

RED Malkovich steals every scene, everyone else coasting like a motherfucker. Like most comic adaptations it's a decent story but the action and story have all been seen before. Middle of the road.

Being full of the cold, my life - in between doses of Day Nurse - consists of...

Fallout New Vegas

Recording guitar parts for demos

FIFA Soccer on the PS3

Eating & Sleeping

..and of course, MOVIES...

Latest batch...

The Hamiltons

Low-budget indie shocker about a parentless family moving from town to town. They kill lots of people. Utter gash. Avoid.

1/10

Tipping The Velvet

Actually a 3-part tv series, but as it came one one DVD, I'll treat it as a movie.

Fabulous lesbian drama starring Rachel Stirling (Diana Rigg's daughter) and Keeley Hawes out of Ashes to Ashes. Funny, moving and very sexy. Plenty of pervy same-sex sex for all you pervs and both leads expose their chebbs. Classic line? "I won't be buggered!"

9/10

Constantine

Enjoyable comic book adaptation with CantActNo Reeves as the cancer-riddled titular exorcist trying to buy his way into heaven by sending the souls of The Fallen back to hell. Peter Stormare plays a cool Lucifer.

8/10

Kill Bill 1 & 2

Absolutely hilarious. Funniest movie I've seen in ages. Ridiculous storyline, shite acting, risible dialogue, ludicrous action...and all the better for it!

I still despise the liberal use of Kung-Fu/Martial Arts in action movies, but at least the director isn't taking it seriously here.

8/10

My Bloody Valentine 3D

Gash acting, lethargic storyline, excellent gore.

6/10

Inside Man - Denzel plays a grizzled cop with personal problems. No way! Good film, about a bank heist, but a monumentally shit and overly rushed ending. 2 hours of build up for 5 minutes of crap at the end.

The Thing - Classic monster movie starring Kurt Russell. Good film. You really get the feeling of isolation from it, and the monsters / models still stand up by today's standards. Some nice gore too.

Saw Eden Lake over the weekend. Not bad at all, not really a horror though because you can see most of the violence coming a long way off. Kudos for not having the cliched happy ending mind.....

My mate's sister gave that to him on Blu-ray, not realising he had an X-Box, not as PS3. Gave me a shot of it and I wasn't overly impressed. Vicious little shites are always a bit of a shocker though.

• 2 weeks later...

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Finally got round to watching this the other night.

Utter bobbins. 3/10

Salem's Lot

The orginal 1979 version with Hutch out of Starsky & Hutch and Mrs John Mclaine out of the Die Hard movies.

Pish acting, shite script, dreadful special effects, but oddly endearing. Best Vampire ever too. 7/10

Hide & Seek

Gawd-awful psychological thriller Dakota Fanning and The Bobbster. Long gone are the days of Godfather II, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull & Goodfellas. Famke Janssen and Elizabeth Shue add some MILF interest. Absolute gash. 2/10

The Kingdom

Solid enough action film but one thing really annoyed me. The first half is littered with captions introducing characters and locations which only stay on screen for a split second. I read fast, but they were still gone before I had a chance to get halfway through the first word most of the time. Seriously irritating.

Good Will Hunting On the train home from work last night I was sitting next to some maths students trying to solve a problem and that made me want to watch this. Good film even if it does come across like it was written purposely to win an Oscar. Interesting characters and good acting though. 7.5/10

In the Loop - Fucking brilliant. Been meaning to watch it for ages and wasn't disappointed. 10/10

Some of the best lines ever and outstanding comedic performances. When the spin doctor squared up to the General - that's got to be one of the best exchanges in cinematic history.

You know what you look like? A squeezed dick. You got a big blue vein running up your head all the way to the temple. See, that's where I'd put the bullet. Only I'd have to stand back 'cause you look like a squirter.

I also liked:

Well, Karen, unofficially, we can call anything whatever we want. I mean, unofficially, this is a shoe, but it's not, Karen, it is a glass of water.