aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

So I have been watching a lot of Seagal films. 4 on Sunday alone. Jesus.

After you've got through the rest, try and pick up 'Hard To Kill'. It's one of the earlier ones, and it's simply cracking.

Saw American Pie for the first time in ages on the telly a few nights ago. Still works now, the Nadia-in-Jim's-bedroom sequence is a work of genius....

Sherlock Holmes

Went to see this at the cinema with The Kid when it came out - didn't really care for it. Wached it again with The Burd the other night and we both throroughly enjoyed it. Wee Rab Downey Jnr & Jude Law make a great pairing. Only slight quibble was Guy "Fackin Mockey Caaahnt Innit?" Richie's inclusion of faux martial arts - "Elbow to the jaw, trauma to the solar plexus, heel kick" - that was pish.

The Burd and I watched this last night. I'd previously viewed it on my laptop whilst working in Angola, so it was good to see it again on a decent sized screen. Great movie with good performances from One-Two, Faramir, Lt Archie Hicox and McNulty.

After you've got through the rest, try and pick up 'Hard To Kill'. It's one of the earlier ones, and it's simply cracking.

I'm pretty sure that's one I saw back in the day - in any case it's on order off Amazon along with 'Marked for Death' (ordered this on Region 1 as apparently the Region 2 is cut to shit - the Under Sieges were noticably hacked up in the fights. After watching films like 'Martyrs' I find it incredible that Steven Seagal action films are still cut!).

I watched 'Fire Down Below' last night, which was not bad. Seagal plays an Environmental Protection Agency agent who goes to investigate alleged waste dumping in mines in the Appalachian mountains disguised as an odd-job man who fixes folks porches. Kris Kristofferson is the evil business guy and Levon Helm from The Band plays the town preacher. Seagal goes to the town dance with some bit of stuff and there is a band led by a guy with an awesome mullet and Seagal gets hold of a guitar and starts giving it laldy. He also wears an incredible stripey leather jacket. There aren't that many fight scenes though, this seems to be the beginning of his fatter period.

7/10

Sounds amazing. Me and the bird actually went through a period where we had a policy of only hiring Steven Segal films. This was on the basis that we were often disappointed by films that didn't have Steven Segal in them and the fact that you know what you're getting with Segal.

This lasted until we hired one that didn't have one good fight or one good one-liner in it and didn't actually make any sense. I even watched it again the next day just to ensure that we hadn't missed anything but just sat their muttering "who the fuck is that guy?" and "what is he talking about?". It's a horrible feeling to be intelectually defeated by an action movie. I actually think it might have been 30 of his films spliced into one and repackaged. We also encountered the problem that we'd go to the video shop and say "have we seen that one yet?" and never be sure because they all have the same picture of him holding a gun with an explosion as a backdrop.

....and here endeth my Steven Segal monologue.

Plinth, you should check out the one I referred to above and see if it makes any sense to you. Pretty sure it was this one:

Today You Die (Video 2005) - IMDb

Saw American Pie for the first time in ages on the telly a few nights ago. Still works now, the Nadia-in-Jim's-bedroom sequence is a work of genius....

Nadia is so hot.

Back To The Future - Still awesome, even better in the cinema. 25 years on, I still notice some subtle little things I've never noticed before every time I watch it.

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid - Kid starts high school, tries to look cool, fails. A bit like American Pie, if all of them were 11. A lot funnier than you might expect.

The Expendables - This was nothing special, worth seeing for the all-star cast, but it's all just a bit dull really.

Threads

80s TV film about a nuclear attack on the UK and the after-effects. Inevitably dated in many ways but pretty horrific stuff in any case. Like the rantings and imagery of a Crass album made real. I vaguely remember when this was on TV when I was a kid and my mates speaking about it but my Mum wouldnt let me watch it. I can kind of understand why.

8/10

Up

Bought this and Wall-E in a 2 for 15 quid deal in Asda. Nominally for my son but in reality for me. Up was ace but incredibly sad at the same time.

9/10

Wall-E

I stopped paying attention to this one half way through as I had to go and do stuff but it seemed an unusual cartoon film from what I saw. Its like if Stanley Kubrick had made a cartoon, this is what may have resulted. Im going to have to watch it again properly.

Threads

80s TV film about a nuclear attack on the UK and the after-effects. Inevitably dated in many ways but pretty horrific stuff in any case. Like the rantings and imagery of a Crass album made real. I vaguely remember when this was on TV when I was a kid and my mates speaking about it but my Mum wouldnt let me watch it. I can kind of understand why.

8/10

I'd never even heard about this until reading your post. Watching it on YouTube now :up:

North by Northwest

One of Alfred Hitchcocks most acclaimed films, it seems to be on TV regularly but Ive always only ever managed to catch snippets. Picked the DVD up for a few quid in a charity shop so gave it a whirl. Cary Grant plays a guy mistaken for a secret agent who doesnt actually exist and spends the film trying to figure out what is going on. James Mason plays the main bad guy (Eddie Izzard has spoilt films starring James Mason for me a bit) with a young Martin Landau as his henchman. It also has the famous bit where Cary Grant is pestered by a plane in a barren field that is referenced in the Simpsons.

Pretty good film, along with Psycho and Rear Window probably one of my favourites of Hitchcock Ive seen.

9/10

Edge of Darkness

Mad Mel Gibson is a Boston cop whose daughter is killed and he spends the film trying to find out why. Based on an old BBC TV series that I have also picked up on DVD but not watched yet. I thought this was pretty damn good, Mel's first film in a few years and a reminder that he is a great actor. Hopefully his personal life meltdown won't stop him making more films, that would be a waste. Ray Winstone is in it a wee bit, I don't have issues with him like some folk on here do but he plays a decent role. Danny Huston is the main baddie. Has he had some sort of plastic surgery, he looks weird these days? A couple of truly unexpected and surprising moments of violence.

9/10

I was a big fan of the TV series of Edge Of Darkness and went into the film a wee bit sceptical but have to say thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought they condensed a six hour series into a 2 hour film very well.

This week I watched...

Basement - like Ray Winstone, Danny Dyer doesn't seem too popular on this board. He does pretty much play the same character in every film and his career has never gone beyond low budget Brit horror/gangster films but I usually find him pretty dependable. I enjoyed this although an 18 rating with more blood, gore and violence would have served my appetite better. Dyer, Jimi Minstry, one of Ray Winstone's daughters and a couple of others get trapped in a spooky underground base. Not the greatest film I've ever seen but I'm a sucker for this low budget type of thing.

Spy Game - Robert Redford and Brad Pritt in this blockbuster from 2001. One of those I missed at the time and thought it might be worth viewing. Yeah it was.

Watched The Social Network and The Town recently and thought both were excellent!

Had my doubts about The Social Network before I went in and I'm still dubious as to how much of it is reality and how much is keech, but I'd recommend it.

The town looked like it'd be another average action flick and to an extent it was, but it's really well paced, Affleck is awesome in it (although I fucking love Affleck and am biased as a result). Worth a look too!

xx

Threads

8/10

Genuinely terrifying, but brilliant at the same time. I think it was Stripey recommended it to me. Just being reminded of it has given me the heeby jeebies.

As a huge fan of Tony Jaa's work, I was incredibly excited to find Ong Bak 3 in Asda. The excitement faded pretty fast when I realised how incredibly bad the film is. Couple half-decent fight scenes and the sudden use of wires in Mr Jaa's films is NOT what I was expecting. Horrendous film - if you liked any of his other films, DON'T watch it - it'll make you want to launch an armed assault on his monastary.

Buried:Ryan Reynolds in a coffin, under ground, for 94 minutes. Epic, and thoroughly gripping. Fantasticly shot and I challenge anyone not to be profoundly affected by the ending. Brilliant! 9/10

Totally agree. I think a couple of tears managed to escape at the end!

Saw Back To The Future in the cinema on Friday night... forgot just how good it was!! 10/10.