aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

It's extremely well made and if you can buy into it's movie universe and rules, then you'll have a ball. Sadly, I just couldn't switch on to it at all, same as with The Matrix.

As I said in my earlier post, it's likely an age thing with me...though I still adore LOTR and other fantasy or sci-fi movies, so go figure!

This one left me cold though, maybe because of Nolan's style of direction - to smug and up-his-own-arse for me.

I absolutley hated The Matrix but got totally wrapped up with Inception, I thought it was really good, probably because the premise isn't quite as far fetched.

(Terminator 1/2 aside, sci-fi movies tend to bore the living shit out of me....)

Inception - I thought the concept behind this film was very good, but I thought it was about 45 minutes too long, it was really really slow and I didn't really enjoy it. The last third of it was really difficult to follow. Not for me I'm afraid.

Don't Say A Word - Run of the mill thriller starring Michael Douglas and Brittany Murphy. It was entertaining enough, but nothing really original and I don't care much for MIchael Douglas.

Friday the 13th Part 2 - Not as good as the first one, but a few decent scares.

thought Inception was a good film worth watching in cinema. the ideas/concepts not exactly groundbreaking but was largely impressed with cinematograhpy(sp?). there have been a few comparisons with other movies but none(i've seen) mention some of the ones I was thinking of Nightmare on Elm Street, shared dream with Freddy (yeah i know he's dead & if you die, you die!), Total Recall and also vanilla sky. perhaps i'm way off the mark as i'm sure there are probably loads other better examples like the constantly mentioned Matrix.etc.

Inception - 2/10. Really awful. Thought provoking? Any thought at all that was provoked by it completely unravelled the dumb plot. I'd argue it would be more enjoyable if you were in it for mind-numbing, repetitive action type thrills. It was a great cast, that unfortunately all failed to deliver even mediocre performances.

The special effects of the folding architecture was awesome and that is almost all the good I can think to say of the film. Also...

I actually quite liked the end. If it did keep Spinning then it goes someway to excusing the fact that no character is developed in the slightest and that the whole plot is entirely flimsy - still a cheap ploy that can't redeem the film

The Hurt Locker - Not really what I was expecting, not really a plot to speak of, rather a series of very, very exciting set pieces. Enjoyed it though.

The Bounty Hunter - Oh dear God. This was terrible. One of the worst films I've ever seen. In fact most of the time I was just racking my brains trying to work out if I had ever seen a worse film. I reached the conclusion that AI: Artificial Intelligence was indeed worse, but not by much.

Inception - Tough film to watch, it's quite full on and you really need to pay attention. Very enjoyable though, I thought Nolan did a cracking job of sucking you into the story and the universe he creates. I wouldn't say it's as great as some of the reviews are suggesting but it's definitely worth a watch.

The Karate Kid (2010) - This was a huge surprise. I entered the cinema expecting to see a remake that would have no chance of living up the the original, how wrong I was. This was a fantastic film, Jayden Smith (as Dre Parker) was an excellent choice as the new Karate Kid and I ended up rooting for him just as much as I was for Daniel when I saw the original movie. Jackie Chan (Mr Han) is excellent as the new mentor and you can see the relationship forming between student and teacher just as in the original. The basic plot of the original remains the same albeit in a different setting (China) and a few small changes along the way. It is a kids film so there are a few bits that are a bit over sentimental however that's to be expected. A real treat to watch and one to definitely check out. I'd go as far as saying it's the most enjoyable movie I've seen this year.:up:

Clash of the Titans (2010)

Ive been a fan of the original since I was a bairn and still like to watch it now and then, clunky stop-motion effects and all. As per the old Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts movies they retain a level of charm but when I found out they were re-making CotT I was a bit excited at the thought of an update with modern day effects. How could it go wrong? In pretty much the same way as the King Kong re-make thats how. The original films had a perfectly good storyline and all that was required was to take that starting point and insert amazing effects work. Instead Peter Jackson bungs in folk swinging about on vines, Kong skating about a frozen lake on his ass and doubles the running time. In this case they have retained many of the same characters and the basic premise of the quest to get Medusas head and chucked in loads of guff. Still watchable to waste and hour and a half, much of it looks good but ultimately a disappointing waste of opportunity.

5/10.

Also watched 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' again, still ace. Apparently the American remake is being lined up with Carey Mulligan lined up as Lisbeth Salander. Which just seems a bad idea.

Also watched 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' again, still ace. Apparently the American remake is being lined up with Carey Mulligan lined up as Lisbeth Salander. Which just seems a bad idea.

Sat down to watch this the other night but the subtitles seemed off, I reckon I could have done a better job and I only know three Swedish words, one of which is ombudsman. Are the subtitles meant to be a bit "literal"?

Sat down to watch this the other night but the subtitles seemed off, I reckon I could have done a better job and I only know three Swedish words, one of which is ombudsman. Are the subtitles meant to be a bit "literal"?

Dunno, my copy seemed OK to me but I don't know any Swedish...I have had instances before when watching a DVD where the subtitle and vocal synch seemed out but I have no idea whether that is a DVD fault or what...

Dunno, my copy seemed OK to me but I don't know any Swedish...I have had instances before when watching a DVD where the subtitle and vocal synch seemed out but I have no idea whether that is a DVD fault or what...

Hmm, well here's the actual subtitles that I had, from the start of the file:

Today they pass judgment

against the journalist -

and the responsible publisher

from Millennium, Mikael Blomkvist, -

who is accused

for gross slander -

of the successful financier

Hans-Erik Wennerstrm.

Blomkvist accused of Wennerstrm

Illegal arms trafficking and fraud -

over 60 million.

The Swedes have always had

divided opinions on Blomkvist.

His supporters believe he is

the last idealistic journalist.

But now his long career as

journalistic watchdog may be over.

In the case Wennerstrm Vs. Millennium

Is defendants Mikael Blomkvist declared -

guilty in six of

eight allegations.

The accused is sentenced

three months' imprisonment -

and a compensation of 150,000

dollars to Hans-Erik Wennerstrm.

Just seemed a bit clunky and "off" to me?

Guest Bob Knob

Watched From Paris with Love last night. Dear god it's awful. I just can't take Travolta seriously A) as a bad ass and B) with that stupid fucking BearForceOne beard he sports. Shite storyline too.

Deleted.

Interview With The Vampire - Great film, great story, amazing costumes and scenery, and a star turn from a young Kirsten Dunst as a bloodthirsty vamp stuck forever in a child's body. However a horribly miscast Tom Cruise ponces around and makes Lestat the gayest vampire in the history of gay vampires (and that includes the Twilight saga). Which spoils it a bit.

The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009) Run of the mill action/thriller with nothing particularly good about it in terms of performances or storyline. 5/10

Green Zone Matt Damon as a morally conscious maverick soldier looking for the truth during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The basic premise was a bit daft but it was a great film. Really tense and exciting from start to finish. 8/10

Godfather III - Much-maligned final episode in the trilogy. Hampered by casting of non-actress Sophia Coppola in pivotal role, but great performances by Pacino, Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach and Talia Shire make it more than watcheable. 7/10

Fish Tank - Kitchen sink drama starring unknown (apparently she was discovered whilst arguing with her boyfriend a train station!) Kate Jarvis, who's fabulous in the role of Mia, a smart, resourceful but very troubled 15-year-old living in a shithole Essex scheme (Barking, I think) with her MILF mum and younger sister. Michael Fassbender of Inglourious Basterds fame (he played Lt Archie Hicox) does a good job in the role mum's new boyfriend, who has clear designs on Mia. 8.5/10

The Sopranos - Obviously not a fillum, but my partner and I have been watching back to back episodes starting from the pilot and I thought I'd mention it here. We're currently at episode 1 of Series 5. This is just THEEE best thing ever to grace the telly, eclipsing - for me anyway - The Wire, X-Files, Twin Peaks and Life on Mars. Completely and utterly compelling with some of the finest acting and the most fleshed-out characters you'll ever see. 1,000,000/10

Oh dear god, was made to sit through the newest Trek movie again with some friends, was even worse the second time, a barely scraped 0.5/10!

..and I agree wholeheartedly with Norseman. What an unholy pile of shite - only the Clash of the Titans remake is worse. Simon Pegg is Britain's Jim Carrey - a fucking annoying, overexposed, talentless twat.

I recently watched all of the sopranos from start to finish, while I don't agree it is better than the wire, it is absolutely wonderful television. 2nd best behind the wire for me.

The (relatively) new Star Trek film is awesome! Can't believe it would get any hate. One of the most enjoyable films of the last couple of years.