aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Daybreakers

The world has become such that vampires dominate and humans are in short supply so Ethan Hawke's vampire hematologist needs to invent a blood substitute. He doesn't do human blood because he isn't really happy being a vampire. He gets in tow with some humans including a women who never wears a bra under her skimpy vest and Willem Dafoe who used to be a vampire but due to some gubbins involving sunlight and water was 'cured'. Ethan and co. try to prevent human extinction while Sam Neill the evil vampire boss tries to ensure a successful human blood substitute is found and humans die out so he can make lots of cash. Not bad, some good ideas, some borrowings from 'Blade' and 'True Blood', quite well done.

8/10

Salem's Lot

The proper 3 hour version, not the cut down shorter one. Still pretty good for a 30 year old vampire film, only really let down by David Soul's 70's haircut and denim ensembles. He gets jiggy with Holly McClane as well. Yipp ky ay mother fucker. Also it's quite tricky not laughing at James Mason when he is supposed to be spooky when you have watched too many Eddie Izzard shows.

8/10

Dune

I've had this DVD knocking about for ages so finally decided to give it a go. I saw this film on TV years ago but could remember nowt about it. It's based on the Frank Herbert book and is directed by David Lynch. It has lots of very David Lynch bits but I think it probably only makes any sense if you have read the book (which I haven't). The plot is all over the shop. Much of it looks pretty good, some of the effects are pretty wank and it has big worms that look like cocks. Lots of well known folk in it - Kyle Maclachlan, Patrick Stewart, Brad Dourif, Sean Young, Francesca Annis, Jurgen Prochnow and even The Exorcist himself, Max Von Sydow. Oh, and Sting. Who is shite. Probably the worst of Lynch's films but worth at least one watch.

5/10

I like that fat lad and the charcter he plays in the films he is in. I'd like to see his new 'un, but it's got the abhorrent Russell Brand in it.

I like the bit when McLovin is following the girl down the hall to look at her arse, and then nervously mutters "It's 10:32", and tells his friends "I told her what time it was"

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - A bit bizarre this one, it's a send up of the film-noir genre. Basically a guy is mistaken for an actor and comes to LA but gets mixed up in a murder investigation. Downey Jr is in top form and Val Kilmer seems to have a lot of fun playing his character.

I thought the middle bit (I think it was the middle bit?) in this seemed like forever. It's a good film, but I think a lot of it was filler. If the titles weren't so cool and I didn't like Downey Jr so much I think I'd have liked this film less.

I went to see A Bout De Souffle sometime last week and it was awesome. A bit confusing (or I thought?) at the start, but very good once you get into it.

Going to crack on through my Hitchcock boxset sometime this week, along with seeing Heartbreaker at some point too. Should be fun times.

An Education Based on a true story, 16 year old lassie starts going out with a shady older man in 1960s. I thought this was pretty decent, it was just over an hour and a half which suits me in an age where films seem to go on forever. Mrs Bigsby thought it was one of the best films she had seen in a while though so maybe it's a chick flick. Part of the problem may be that I read the true story in The Guardian last year, interesting story and worth taking five minutes to read if you can't be bothered watching the film.

Lynn Barber on her liaison as a 16-year-old with an older man | Culture | The Observer

Shutter Island Psycological thriller with Leonardo DiCaprio, directed by Scorsese. You have to say that with this and The Departed Scorsese has had a return to form, even if they're not up there with his very best work. It's pulpy trash but Scorsese is so good it just looks beautiful, so well made and surprisingly Mrs Bigsby enjoyed it a lot too. Recommended.

Shutter Island Psycological thriller with Leonardo DiCaprio, directed by Scorsese. You have to say that with this and The Departed Scorsese has had a return to form, even if they're not up there with his very best work. It's pulpy trash but Scorsese is so good it just looks beautiful, so well made and surprisingly Mrs Bigsby enjoyed it a lot too. Recommended.

Is this out on DVD to rent now?

Green Street. For the umpteenth time. It's all a bit silly and overdramatic, but I still like it.

The Crow. Haven't watched it in years. Brandon Lee's performance isn't quite the virtuoso acting masterclass I remember it being from when I was 15, but it's still a damn good film.

<MEGA POST ALERT>

MacGruber: didn't expect much but was actually very funny and enjoyable. For fans of SNL/Hot Rod/Lonely Island etc

Prince of Persia: bog-standard action blockbuster, everything you'd expect and more CGI.

The Killer Inside Me: Properly gets you inside the mind of a serial killer. Afflek is great. Violent, but justifiable. Good film.

Sex & the City 2: Actually kind of enjoyed it despite being dragged in against will. But slightly racist.

Doomsday: Neil Marshal's take on Mad Max/Escape from New York in Scotland. Really enjoyed it.

Doubt: Priest Seymour Hoffman vs Nun Meryl Streep, couple of intense scenes but pretty boring overakk. The Mrs loved it though.

Knowing: was really promising until two fucking ridiculous scenes marred the film. Never bounced back.

Inglourious Basterds: Full of great scenes. Tarantino's best dialogue. Great cast. Top knotch

Drag Me To Hell: Sam Raimi goes old school, really, really enjoyed the retro take on horror. Great black comedy moments too.

The Air I Breathe: stop the press, Brendan Fraser and Sarah Michelle Gellar are great actors!!! Poignant drama.

Coraline: Burton-esque goth flick about a teenager. Absurd story, no appeal other than visuals.

Grosse Point Blank: Whole film based around one pun. Seems to be a cult flick but didn't think it was 'all that'.

War Inc. :Spiritual sequel to GPB, funnier and wittier IMHO. Decent political satire.

Blindness: City of God director does a blindness epidemic. Slow start but tour-de-force at the end.

The Spirit: poor man's Sin City. Inferior in every single way.

Mlena: (Italy) Nostalgia-driven film about a teenager's first love, not amazing. Get the uncut version for more Monica Bellucci!

Changeling: Jolie saying the words "My son" for two hours. Didn't do much for me, wuold be good drinking game though.

Role Models: Feel-good comedy about fatherhood and Role Play, just as good 2nd time round.

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance: (Korea) Great flick about poetic tragedy. Dramatic powerhouse in parts.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist: Quirk-o-meter almost broke. Some good bits but generally flat.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Bigger reviews and other features here

Hey what's the name of that film where Michael Cera plays an awkward geeky teenager?

:popcorn:

Everyone's favourite bird-faced actor seems to have had so much trouble trying to shake off his Arrested Development character... Superbad, Juno, Nick & Norah, Year One, Scott Pilgrim...

Although I guess now that Jesse Eisenberg's and Christopher Mintz-Plasse are on the scene he may be struggling for work now.

Watched Death Proof what a weird movie, cinematography, costumes, music, main cars and lingo makes you believe it's in the 70's but the mobile phones and some background cars make you realise it's really no set then at all. The plot would have been good imo if they didn't spend so much time with talking and spent a bit more time taking peoples faces off with wheels and seeing severed limbs flying around. Maybe it's because I fell asleep through the first half and had to start the second half again.

I know Tarantino's films can centre round the dialog but the conversations the girls had round tables etc were ridiculous - girls just don't speak like that to each other!! Ha ha

DULL

Everyone's favourite bird-faced actor seems to have had so much trouble trying to shake off his Arrested Development character... Superbad, Juno, Nick & Norah, Year One, Scott Pilgrim...

Although I guess now that Jesse Eisenberg's and Christopher Mintz-Plasse are on the scene he may be struggling for work now.

He might be able to break out a bit in Scott Pilgrim. The character in the comic is kind of headstrong and impulsive a lot, and the trailer shows moments where he's justifiably awkward (meeting Ramona properly for the first time, etc.)

What I'm saying is that the potential is there for him to play a slightly different character, so we'll see if he rises to the occasion. Also I'm so excited for that goddamn movie.

Sadly, I saw them when they came out :(

I watched 'The Black Dahlia' last night Thought it didn't really capture the film noir feel well enough to work....quite disappointed in it. The acting veered between mumbly understatement to total ham.

Aye watched it a few years ago. Great subject matter and De Palma is normally ace but this was poor.