aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Wedding Singer is ace. As is Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Anger Management, Mr Deeds, The Waterboy, 50 First Dates, The Longest Yard... Sandler is great.

The less said about Bedtime Stores the better though.

Haven't seen Zohan or Funny People.

Not seen any of them...is Mr Deeds the one with lovely Winona?

Watched 'Funny People' recently. Everyone was better than Adam Sandler, which is not to say he was bad, just outshined by the essentially 'supporting' cast. That may have been the point of the whole film though. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Wouldn't go out my way to watch it again, but I wouldn't switch it off if it came on the telly.

Watched 'Funny People' recently. Everyone was better than Adam Sandler, which is not to say he was bad, just outshined by the essentially 'supporting' cast. That may have been the point of the whole film though. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Wouldn't go out my way to watch it again, but I wouldn't switch it off if it came on the telly.

I wouldn't mind seeing it but the running time is seriously putting me off. If Life of Brian and Police Academy can become comedy classics in under 90 mins then there's no need for Judd Apatow to pad these fuckers out so much. Fair enoughif it's The Godfather or The Good The Bad and The Ugly, but two and a half hours for an Adam Sandler film? Overkill.

I watched Nightbreed last night, which was Clive Barker's follow up to Hellraiser. It was meant to be a trilogy apparently but this one was such a massive flop that it never happened. It starts out as a pretty straightforward horror story, people get slashed by a masked killer, and a young guy has dreams about scary monsters killing people, and it turns out the people in his dreams were the real people who were being killed. However it soon becomes more fantasy than horror, as it tuns out the monsters are real and a part of an ancient tribe who have been secretly living in an underground civilisation called Midian, underneath an old cemetry in the middle of nowhere. When the townspeople get wind of a tribe of darn dirty demons living nearby they get the pitchforks out and go to try and kill them. There's a lot of jazz about prophecies and chosen ones and the likes. It's actually pretty darn good. See it.

it looks a bit kitsch and camp from the cover but it's really not.

nightbreed_shot4l.jpg

nightbreed.jpg

I watched Nightbreed last night, which was Clive Barker's follow up to Hellraiser. It was meant to be a trilogy apparently but this one was such a massive flop that it never happened. It starts out as a pretty straightforward horror story, people get slashed by a masked killer, and a young guy has dreams about scary monsters killing people, and it turns out the people in his dreams were the real people who were being killed. However it soon becomes more fantasy than horror, as it tuns out the monsters are real and a part of an ancient tribe who have been secretly living in an underground civilisation called Midian, underneath an old cemetry in the middle of nowhere. When the townspeople get wind of a tribe of darn dirty demons living nearby they get the pitchforks out and go to try and kill them. There's a lot of jazz about prophecies and chosen ones and the likes. It's actually pretty darn good. See it.

nightbreed_shot4l.jpg

nightbreed.jpg

Fantastically underrated film. I love it. It's probably one of my favourite "horror" films.

nightbreed_shot4l.jpg

nightbreed.jpg

Christ, I've not seen that in years - David Cronenberg is in it is he not?

Christ, I've not seen that in years - David Cronenberg is in it is he not?

He is indeed, along with a black guy from ER, according to my girlfriend. I didn't recognise anyone else. You can only get it on Region 1 for some reason, though allegedly there's a directors cut coming out this year.

He is indeed, along with a black guy from ER, according to my girlfriend. I didn't recognise anyone else. You can only get it on Region 1 for some reason, though allegedly there's a directors cut coming out this year.

I think I've still got an old VHS copy somewhere...it's based on 'Cabal' by Clive Barker if I recall...

Trueamundo. There's been a directors cut due out for nearly 20 years. I'm not holding my breath.

This is on Wikipedia so it must be true. There isn't a Director's Cut until Friday. :bat:

Mark Miller, a friend of Barker, asked if he could track down the missing 25 minutes of footage that was cut out of the director's cut of Nightbreed. Miller discovered, after talking to a production executive at the studio, that the footage was never actually lost but readily accessible. When asked, a studio executive said that there was not a big enough audience to warrant the studio spending money on a new, extended cut of the film.[24] A VHS copy of Barker's 145 minute version of the film's mid-1989 workprint was recently discovered. It does not feature any of the re-shoots of ***spoilers***.[25] The extended cut version will be premiered on March 27th 2010 as part of the Horrorhound Weekend.[26]

Fish Tank

Andrea Arnold's follow-up to 'Red Road' and even better than that in my opinion. A lass in her mid-teens called Mia spends her time in an empty flat practising dance routines. She seems to be a bit of a loner, the only real social interaction she has is with her abusive mother and her foul mouthed sister, apart from some confrontations with other teenage girls and some local pikeys. Her Mum gets a mysterious new boyfriend who Mia starts to grow closer to...9/10.

Dorian Gray

Decided to get this out after reading the book 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde recently. As expected it's a sexed up variant designed for more modern audiences but much of it is reasonably faithful to the book's basic plotline, which is actually pretty vague in terms of details and at less than 200 pages I suppose needs some padding for film. Colin Firth was actually quite good playing Dorian's mentor into sleaze rather than his usual bumbling toff. 7/10.

Fish Tank

Andrea Arnold's follow-up to 'Red Road' and even better than that in my opinion. A lass in her mid-teens called Mia spends her time in an empty flat practising dance routines. She seems to be a bit of a loner, the only real social interaction she has is with her abusive mother and her foul mouthed sister, apart from some confrontations with other teenage girls and some local pikeys. Her Mum gets a mysterious new boyfriend who Mia starts to grow closer to...9/10.

Dorian Gray

Decided to get this out after reading the book 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde recently. As expected it's a sexed up variant designed for more modern audiences but much of it is reasonably faithful to the book's basic plotline, which is actually pretty vague in terms of details and at less than 200 pages I suppose needs some padding for film. Colin Firth was actually quite good playing Dorian's mentor into sleaze rather than his usual bumbling toff. 7/10.

I thought Fish Tank was class, but struggled a bit with Dorian Gray. Have you seen the original film? It's really good,

I've recently been enjoying Shattered Glass, which is the true story of the journalist Steven Glass (not to be confused with ex-Aberdeen winger of the same name) who worked at a political supplement in America called The New Republic, who basically fabricated a ton of stories to further his career. Absolute star turn by Peter Sarsgaard as the magazine's editor, and Hank Azaria is good in it as well.

Also, just watched Revolutionary Road tonight, which I thought was ace. Two good performances from Leonardo DiCaprio (also good in Shutter Island, I thought) and Kate Winslet, but Michael Shannon stole the show, for my money.

Watched Time Travellers Wife last night, more of a love story than anything, was quite interesting but by the end of the film I felt like I was robbed of some of the story as not that much happened and was getting confusing working out what was going on (maybe I was just sleepy)

Thought it would be better

The foot Fist Way: Danny McBride plays a watered down Kenny powers. Stick to Eastbound & Down.

5ive Girls: Even Hellboy (Ron Perlman) can't save this zone horror flick. Rubbish.

Titanic: funny seeing how sketchy an actress Winslett was, DiCaprio looks about 15. Too epic at the end.

Conversations with other women: Decent! Looked like a crap girlie film but really enjoyed it. Great acting.

Blades of Glory: never really matches the first 15 minutes, but it's worth a watch, if only to see Jenna Fischer.

The Dark Knight: shits all over Batman Begins from a great height. Cracking film. Ledger's best?

The Fall: can't bash on about this film enough. Best looking film in history, easily.

Zinda: Oldboy re-make pretty much scene for scene but with the best ripped out. I am dissapoint!

mair reviews

17 Again - a new take on tried and tested formula, in which a guy in his mid-30s (Matthew Perry) wishes he was young again and becomes a teenager (Zac Efron). So far so Freaky Friday / 13 Going On 30 / Big, but this puts a slighty different spin on things because it's an adult becoming young whereas normally it's a kid becoming an adult. Anyway he goes back to school and befriends his own kids and tries to win back his estranged wife. It's actually pretty funny, and although it's a bit soppy in places (it is a rom-com after all) it never gets overly schmaltzy. Zac Efron is surprisingly good in it, though he still has a bit of work to do to prove that he's actually an actor and not just a 6-pack and a cool haircut.

Enjoyed this film a lot.