aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Getaway

Stars Steve McQueen, directed by Sam Peckinpah and also has the only appearance I've ever seen for Al Letierri other than in The Godfather getting shot in the heid by Al Pacino. What's not to like about this film? Well, not much other than Ali McGraw being a pish actress. The blood looks like paint as well. Other than that it's pretty cool. 8/10.

Man on the Moon

Jim Carrey plays Andy Kaufman, 70's era American comedian, best known as Latka in 'Taxi'. Danny DeVito plays his manager, Christopher Llloyd plays himself as part of the 'Taxi' castbut Danny DeVito was also in that show so his character isn't representedCourtney Love plays his girlfriend (it's OK, she is actually pretty good. She was good in 'The People Vs. Larry Flynt' as well, flying in the face of the current image of a women who seems to be more out of control than Richard Hammond in a race car). I kind of vaguely remember the 'Taxi' programme from when I was a nipper but can't recall much about Andy Kaufman, I think he was more an American thing and probably only became better known through this film. His comedy was based around challenging audiences and doing routines that involved no apparent jokes. So in a way a pioneer of alternative comedy I suppose. He later started wrestling women, which makes for some of the funniest sequences. I don't know why I have never watched this film before but it's really good. 8/10.

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll - Excellent biopic about the late, great Ian Dury, with a knockout performance by Andy "Gollum" Serkis as the man himself.

The narrative is quite frantic and disjointed at times, with the use of montage, cartoons and fourth wall, but it's highly entertaining once you get into it. Some hilarious dialogue and life observations too.

Highly recommended for fans of Dury and especially for those who haven't yet embraced this true genius.

**** 1/2

saw sliding doors last night on channel 4 for the first time in years and I still love it. I am a sucker for that type of British flick mind! Even more astonishing it was written and directed by the chap who used to play Joey in Carla Lane's 80's scouse sitcome, Bread! Peter Howitt.

Ghostbusters 2

Decided to try it again after it was going cheap on Play.com. It's not a BAD film, it's just a poor relation to the original. I think I still feel the same as when I saw it years ago, the storyline is pretty weak, satisfying comedic moments are few and far between and the ending seems over and done with rather rapidly. I'm still unconvinced a further sequel after 20-odd years is a good idea. 6/10.

I was lent a copy of "Bring it on" a couple of weeks ago as apparently I'd really enjoy it. I've just finished watching it, and it hasn't left me with the feeling that I need to poke out eyes. An enjoyable Sunday afternoon watch, and I fucking hate singing, dancing, fun and happy endings. Not as clever as it thinks it is however...

3/5

• Upvote 1

'Watched Anvil:The Story of Anvil' last night. Absolute belter of a movie. It is actually dangerously, and scarily close to a real life 'This is Spinal Tap'. A must for anyone who loves comedy and old metallers crying. And absolutely no need to enjoy the music.

Brilliant.

I saw it a couple of months ago, its a brilliant film.

The Hangover. I was pretty disappointed having been told it was hilarious. Perhaps it was my mood but I just didn't really find it funny. The boy with the beard's speech on the roof was good and Heather Graham breastfeeding was ok.

You're dead inside. Mike Tyson air drumming and finishing a roll by smacking the beardy guy in the coupon? Amazing.

The Debt Collector

Billy Connolly plays an ex-gangland heavy, Nicky Dryden, who has spent 18 years in prison after Ken Stott's policeman, Gary Keltie, locked him up. He is now an acclaimed sculptor married to a journalist and Keltie is disgusted by his acceptance into the arts circle after his previous violence and carries out a campaign of harrassment (ruining an art gallery opening, turning up at a wedding with a bus full of people directly affected by Dryden's past, etc) until events spiral to a final confrontation. A violent young ned who idolises Dryden and tries to gain his approval adds complications.

I saw this years ago when it first came out and at that time I found it difficult to separate Connolly from his stand-up persona but revisiting now, having not watched Connolly doing comedy for some time, he is actually very effective in the part. Ken Stott is also excellent. Nice Edinburgh location spotting opportunities as well.

9/10

You're dead inside. Mike Tyson air drumming and finishing a roll by smacking the beardy guy in the coupon? Amazing.

The Debt Collector

Billy Connolly plays an ex-gangland heavy, Nicky Dryden, who has spent 18 years in prison after Ken Stott's policeman, Gary Keltie, locked him up. He is now an acclaimed sculptor married to a journalist and Keltie is disgusted by his acceptance into the arts circle after his previous violence and carries out a campaign of harrassment (ruining an art gallery opening, turning up at a wedding with a bus full of people directly affected by Dryden's past, etc) until events spiral to a final confrontation. A violent young ned who idolises Dryden and tries to gain his approval adds complications.

I saw this years ago when it first came out and at that time I found it difficult to separate Connolly from his stand-up persona but revisiting now, having not watched Connolly doing comedy for some time, he is actually very effective in the part. Ken Stott is also excellent. Nice Edinburgh location spotting opportunities as well.

9/10

I think I may be suffering from Goofball Overexposure.

Will give the Debt Collector a go, sounds good.

Sherlock Holmes - Starring Jude Law as Watson, Eddie Marsan as Lestrad and Robert Downey Jnr....as...well...Robert Downey Jnr.

You'd think a movie about one of the great fictional detectives would have some mystery and suspense - instead, it was another blockbuster CGI-fest.

Having said that, it was watcheable, but definitely a trick missed there.

** 1/2

American Psycho.

Watched it far too often recently, but there's something about it I just fucking love. I think the lead character, Patrick Bateman, is brilliant and Bale portrays him excellently.

Also Jared Leto getting fucked up with an axe is brilliant.

"TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING BASTARD"

Glorious.

apkillpaul5qz.gif

The film is good but it's not a patch on the book, if you haven't read it I strongly recommend you to do so :up:

The Hangover. I was pretty disappointed having been told it was hilarious. Perhaps it was my mood but I just didn't really find it funny. The boy with the beard's speech on the roof was good and Heather Graham breastfeeding was ok.

Alan.....I thought he was a good character, how disappointed he was to find the baby's name wasn't Carlos! I thought it was a good comedy, nothing to glaringly obvious in the storyline for a rom com/dick flick. The problem tho when people tell you something is hilarious it bigs it up too much only to be a let down :(

I watched some of my fave childhood films yesterday - classics!

Lost Boys

Labyrinth

Goonies

Alan.....I thought he was a good character, how disappointed he was to find the baby's name wasn't Carlos! I thought it was a good comedy, nothing to glaringly obvious in the storyline for a rom com/dick flick. The problem tho when people tell you something is hilarious it bigs it up too much only to be a let down :(

I suppose so. It was nothing new in terms of goofball comedies in the vein of Seth Rogen, Will Ferrell films etc. of which there is an abundance.

I remember him finding out the baby wasn't called Carlos and possibly missed some subtlety as I don't remember thinking it was funny at all. I thought the Chinese bloke was terribly unfunny. Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable.