aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Juno Really enjoyed this. Funny and rather touching.

Mongol : The rise to power of Genghis Khan Pretty good. Kinda like a Mongolian Braveheart, i.e. lots of sword fighting, a love story and some poetic licence where history is concerned. Completely missed out a massive chunk in the story - how he went about uniting all the tribes which is surely his most fascinating achievement -which was a bit shit.

The Condemned This film starred Stone Cold Steve Austin and Vinnie Jones. 10 death row inmates bought from third world prisons by an internet TV station. Plonked on an island with various weapons. Last one alive wins their freedom. Best line: I come from a fishing village 80 miles north of Anchorage. Its called go fuck yourself.

Stone Cold Steve Austin's Character wins

Since when do you like films?

The Good, The Bad and The Weird: This is a korean remake of its almost namesake. Also known as "Joheunnom Nabbeunnom Isanghannom". I thought it would be ridculously shit but it was actually good, if you like fighting, action and Korea's finest actors. "The Bad" is played by the man who portrays Stormshadow in the new G.I.Joe film.

Since when do you like films?

The Good, The Bad and The Weird: This is a korean remake of its almost namesake. Also known as "Joheunnom Nabbeunnom Isanghannom". I thought it would be ridculously shit but it was actually good, if you like fighting, action and Korea's finest actors. "The Bad" is played by the man who portrays Stormshadow in the new G.I.Joe film.

If you enjoyed that then I would check out director Kim Ji-woon's previous titles. Top filmmaker IMO.

500 Days of Summer

Watchable. Inoffensive. Can't find anything particularly bad about it but didn't think it was anything special either. Zooey Deschanel in danger of being typecast as 'kookie alternative chick' forever more if not careful. 7/10.

Death Proof

A re-watch. I like it, probably Tarantino's least satisfying film and could do with some trimming - I never saw the shorter cinema version but would quite like to for comparison. The stunt lass Zoe is pretty bad as an actress. Kurt Russell reminds us why 'The Thing' and 'Escape From New York' are amazing, i.e. he was in them...8/10.

Recently watched these foreign films....

Maria Full of Grace - Superb

Nine Queens - Quite good, kept guessing

Got Novo to watch next...

Also watched with a frienda cause she'd never seen it, Return to Oz. Quite a dark and sinister follow up to Wizard of Oz, one of the longest sequels after the original ever made, some 46 years after the original.

To follow the Oz theme we have The Wiz to watch, a motown adaptation of Wizard of Oz starring Diana Ross, Michael Jackson & Richard Pryor

Both excellent films. They re-made Nine Queens for Hollywood, with George Clooney in the lead role. I haven't seen it, but it's probably not as good.

Have you seen Novo? Sounds a bit like a cross between momento and 50 first dates lol!

Will report back.

Will also check the george clooney remake, nothing like a bit of GC...whether the film is pants or not!

Feck almost forgot went to see Sherlock Holmes last night was a good film, but couldn't help but feel slightly let down for some reason!

Have you seen Novo? Sounds a bit like a cross between momento and 50 first dates lol!

Will report back.

Will also check the george clooney remake, nothing like a bit of GC...whether the film is pants or not!

Feck almost forgot went to see Sherlock Holmes last night was a good film, but couldn't help but feel slightly let down for some reason!

I think it's called Criminal? Something like that anyway. Clooney would make a great conman. I was just talking about him the other day, he's one of the very few actors whose films I would go and see purely because he is in it. The only others probably being Bill Murray and Samuel L Jackson.

EDIT - right title, wrong actor. George Clooney isn't in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_(film)

Cass - Quite an interesting look at one man involved in football hooliganism back in the 70s and 80s. Obviously based on a true story and even one of the first scenes was quite powerful showing a young Cass being picked on for being black and being raised by white parents. Really made me think about how I'd feel if that was me back then. I'd recommend.

Kingpin .....Loved it...I seem to be going through a phase of watching films with Woody Harrelson in them....

I also found There Will Be Blood very very very very boring....DD Lewis is a bloody good actor though..

Steve Vai is a good guitarist but I wouldn't want to listen to the cunt play for three hours.

Ken i honestly thought the film would never end......But it did and i sighed quite hard....Then had melted cheese and toast with a cuppa tea and life was good again...

Watching Sherlock Holmes tonight. Hope its good

Cass i watched a while ago and tbh it was just ok....I did like the fact though that he was one of the few who didnt end up going down the drug route....The guy from work who lent me it stated it was one of his all time favourite films.......To say i was very disapointed is an understatement its not even in my top 50. Each to there own i suppose.

Went to see Avatar yesterday...I was a little sceptical and wasnt sure if I would like it. It was compelling enough to be able to sit almost 3 hours in the cinema. I though it looked like it was going to be like Fern gully with actors (this was without really watching any of the trailers, just brief glimpses). After watching it I think it was still like Fern gully.....from what I remember of that film!

I thought it was a little drawn out at parts, but overall quite enjoyable.

Sherlock Holmes 2009

LOVED IT go see it....The fight scenes are awsome how they are directed....Cant say enough about this film loved it and have now seen it 4 times lol.........

Im one of those guys who could continually watch the same thing over and over if i enjoy it....

I dont usually give 10/10 but i say this is 10/10

One day removals.

Apologies if it's already been discussed (i've not kept entirely on top of this thread).

My girlfriend bought it for me yesterday and it's absolutely awesome. Right up my street hearing folk swearing with conviction in the mother tongue! I'd wanted to see it when it was on at the Belmont, but couldn't make it. Really bloody funny, but just so much mair appealing when you recognise the places in the film around the city & shire.

Superb min.

An excellent Stirton Project, my last Electronic band Optoplan did the music for the first version of that, about 2000/2001, just called 'Removals' then. Good work.

The Running Man - 80's action-tastic. It has it all - a typically 80's view of a Dystopian future where everything is painted grey and the corporations have taken over, loads of big explosions and guns, and an hour an a half of Arnie puns. If you haven't seen it, the plot is that Arnie is an ex-cop wrongly accused of murder and serving life in prison. He is blackmailed into taking part in the highest-rated TV show in the history of ever, a gameshow called "The Running Man", where convicts are put into a "Game zone" the size of 4 blocks, with 5 professional killers on their tail (each with a camp entrance and "signature kill", a la Gladiators or WWE) , and they have to try and survive and find their way out. If they get out they win their freedom, if they lose, they die. Nobody EVER wins.

I'm sure this doesn't need spoiler tags, but just in case:

Arnie fucks them all up and gets freed.

It was fucking good. I don't know why I've never seen it before.

The Running Man - 80's action-tastic. It has it all - a typically 80's view of a Dystopian future where everything is painted grey and the corporations have taken over, loads of big explosions and guns, and an hour an a half of Arnie puns. If you haven't seen it, the plot is that Arnie is an ex-cop wrongly accused of murder and serving life in prison. He is blackmailed into taking part in the highest-rated TV show in the history of ever, a gameshow called "The Running Man", where convicts are put into a "Game zone" the size of 4 blocks, with 5 professional killers on their tail (each with a camp entrance and "signature kill", a la Gladiators or WWE) , and they have to try and survive and find their way out. If they get out they win their freedom, if they lose, they die. Nobody EVER wins.

I'm sure this doesn't need spoiler tags, but just in case:

Arnie fucks them all up and gets freed.

It was fucking good. I don't know why I've never seen it before.

Spotted this for 2 quid in Asda the other day. Amazing to think that I paid 3.50 to rent it then 9.99 to buy it on VHS in 1989.