aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

A couple of rewatches -

The Proposition

Screenplay by Nick Cave, stars Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston and Emily Watson. Ray Winstone plays an English police Captain based in the Australian outback who captures 2 of 3 brothers blamed for the murder of a family. Guy Pearce plays the elder one, Charlie, who Ray Winstione makes the titular proposition to - if he goes into the outback to track and kill the eldest brother (Danny Huston), then his younger brother will be freed. If not back by Xmas Day in 9 days, said brother hangs. A really good film, amazing shots of outback Australia, gruesome violence and good performances all round. Also has a good soundtrack by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, although Dirty Three fans will recognise snippets as being old D3 tunes recycled.. 9/10.

Stepbrothers

Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly play two 40 year old loafers still living at home with their Mum/Dad respectively. Mum and Dad meet at a conference and get married so the 2 end up sharing a room and battling for supremacy before finding a common enemy in Will's younger brother and joining forces to start their own company. Pretty funny film, Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly act as children really well. 'Boats and Hoes' rap scene is amazing. 8/10.

I was aware that Wallace wrote the book it's based on, yes.

You spot the cameo? I was pleasantly surprised by the film. Corny and cliched in parts but as with any romantic comedy, it all depends on the chemistry between the two love birds and I thought it worked well. That Zooey Deschemel (sp?) is a treat, quite a good singer too.

You spot the cameo? I was pleasantly surprised by the film. Corny and cliched in parts but as with any romantic comedy, it all depends on the chemistry between the two love birds and I thought it worked well. That Zooey Deschemel (sp?) is a treat, quite a good singer too.

Gonna have to look again I think. Didn't spot it at all!

As for Jaseyboi, didn't realise he had based it on his experience, no.

I've a friend who has raved to me about the book, so I'm keen to see the movie / read the novel.

I watched it without reading the book and thought it was triumphant. Honestly recommend seeing it in the dark, on a cinema screen.

Maybe not if you've got a merry attitude that you wish to maintain however. I walked home up icy George St. listening to Low, sighing a lot.

Precious. Story of a 16 year old black lassie in Harlem who's abused by her parents and already has two kids. Great acting all round, including by Mariah Carey and Lenny Kravitz (seriously).

Really good, but really, really hard going. I haven't seen The Road yet, but it sounds like if you watched it in a double bill with Precious you would be slitting your wrists.

Yes Man - What a brilliant film. Was quite inspiring and would be quite interesting to try someday, but not if an old lady was to proposition me. Zooey Deschanel is a cute little thing too. Saw her in 500 Days of Summer and thought the same. Definitely worth a watch I would say.

I really enjoyed Yes Man too, quite an uplifting film. Loving the bands name 'Mnchausen by proxy'

Watched The Lake House on Saturday, was confusing to start with, bit of a love romance through letters but two years apart....in the end became quite predictable...5/10

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Amazing special effects, severe lack of decent storyline. Or maybe the existing storyline was just way too overstretched, this film lasts 144 minutes but I reckon it could have had a good 45 mins shaved off without losing anything in terms of plot - the whole thing just seemed to be an excuse to serve up ever more outlandish effects sequences but I was completely bored after about 90 minutes. I actually found the later battle scenes quite confusing when there were too many Deceptacons involved, they all look kind of similar when in the fast action mode. Anyway, Shia La Bouef goes off to college before being tracked down by Deceptacons who want the information that has somehow become transplanted into his head after he finds a shard of the power cube thing from the first film. The college plotline seems to only serve the purpose of introducing a long distance relationship and faithfulness aspect to his relationship with Mehan Fox and also to introduce a 'wacky' roommate who is just pretty pointless and annoying. The rest is pretty much just battles between big robots. Which is OK by me but not for 2.5 hoursmaybe an over-excitable Craig Charles commentary track would improve it...

5/10 but that is mostly for the effects.

Antichrist

A couple retreat to their cabin in the woods to grieve for the death of their child. The woman goes increasingly mental and rather horrible things start to take place in between possibly symbolic sequences of deer with dead foals hanging out of them, a crow who can't be killed and a fox who pauses from disembowelling itself to talk. I'm quite possibly not clever enough to see the symbolism.

Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg are the only actors (other than non-talking extras in a couple of sequences) and both do a pretty good job. I can't quite decide how I felt about this film, it looked really good and has a very effective atmosphere to it, but it felt like a lot of the sex and violence sequences were there purely for shock value and the film could have done without them, or at least been a bit less graphic in terms of the violence. However, I'm not sure that the film would have carried so much notoriety had they been missing

5/10 because I'm undecided either way.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Amazing special effects, severe lack of decent storyline. Or maybe the existing storyline was just way too overstretched, this film lasts 144 minutes but I reckon it could have had a good 45 mins shaved off without losing anything in terms of plot - the whole thing just seemed to be an excuse to serve up ever more outlandish effects sequences but I was completely bored after about 90 minutes. I actually found the later battle scenes quite confusing when there were too many Deceptacons involved, they all look kind of similar when in the fast action mode. Anyway, Shia La Bouef goes off to college before being tracked down by Deceptacons who want the information that has somehow become transplanted into his head after he finds a shard of the power cube thing from the first film. The college plotline seems to only serve the purpose of introducing a long distance relationship and faithfulness aspect to his relationship with Mehan Fox and also to introduce a 'wacky' roommate who is just pretty pointless and annoying. The rest is pretty much just battles between big robots. Which is OK by me but not for 2.5 hoursmaybe an over-excitable Craig Charles commentary track would improve it...

5/10 but that is mostly for the effects.

It is worth 9 out of 10 for Megan Fox alone!!

:up:

Nine - a new musical with an all-star cast, including Daniel Day Lewis in the lead role, and featuring Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Judi Dench, Sofia Loren, Marion Cottilard and Fergie off of the Black Eyed Peas. It's about an Itailan film director who's career has taken a bit of a slump and the inspiration he's taken from the various women in his life. The cast all put in stellar performances, especially DDL and Marion Cottilard, the songs are really good for the most part and the movie looks absolutely stunning. The problem is it's a little bit meandering and clunky, and it's a bit up it's own arse, with all the weird fantasy sequences and stuff. The very definition of all style and no substance. It's like a darker version of Moulin Rouge, with better music. It's quite raunchy in places as well, if you like good musicals and girls writhing about on the floor in bustiers and stockings, then you'll enjoy this.

nine-movie2.jpg

The Savages - a drama about a brother and sister who don't talk and are pulled back together when their elderly father takes ill with Alzhemers and they are forced to take care of him. Philip Seymour Hoffman is superb in it, but unfortunately both the lead characters are unlikeable tossers, and it makes it difficult to feel any sympathy for them, even at the end when they are supposed to have become better people. Worth a watch, but not brilliant.

photo_03.jpg

The Savages - a drama about a brother and sister who don't talk and are pulled back together when their elderly father takes ill with Alzhemers and they are forced to take care of him. Philip Seymour Hoffman is superb in it, but unfortunately both the lead characters are unlikeable tossers, and it makes it difficult to feel any sympathy for them, even at the end when they are supposed to have become better people. Worth a watch, but not brilliant.

I felt totally cheated by this one. The trailer made it look like a hilarious black comedy but it was just plan old grim - and not really funny. Laura Linney was looking pretty yummy though.

but unfortunately both the lead characters are unlikeable tossers, and it makes it difficult to feel any sympathy for them, even at the end when they are supposed to have become better people.

This was the same problem I had with Sideways when it was released. Not a bad film but I found myself really not giving a fuck about the 2 main characters as they were both arseholes.

Watched The Hangover and Inglorious Basterds at the weekend. Both were pretty good without being oustanding. Think Inglorious Basterds would have been better without Brad Pitt's over acting in it though. Turning his character down a notch would have made for a better overall movie.

This was the same problem I had with Sideways when it was released. Not a bad film but I found myself really not giving a fuck about the 2 main characters as they were both arseholes.

Watched The Hangover and Inglorious Basterds at the weekend. Both were pretty good without being oustanding. Think Inglorious Basterds would have been better without Brad Pitt's over acting in it though. Turning his character down a notch would have made for a better overall movie.

I liked Sideways. The bit at the end when he had learned not to be so uptight, and he was drinking his prize bottle of wine with a portion of Chicken McNuggets - great piece of film :up: