aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Outlander

Jim Caviezel plays a spaceman who crash lands in Norway in 709 AD followed by a monster whose species his race had thought obliterated to take over their planet, with surviving monsters subsequently killing his family once they had set up a colony. He is captured by a tribe of Vikings led by John Hurt who have been battling with another Viking tribe led by Ron Perlman, the monster kills various Vikings on both sides so they join forces and Caviezel ends up helping them try and kill the monster.

An OK movie, but I don't think it would warrant a second viewing for me personally. 5/10.

Mongol - I can't really give a truly fair rating of this film because I was really tired and I kept nodding off. The battle scenes were pretty epic, brutal and lots of claret, but the bits in between were quite dull. Very dull in fact. I'm not saying it was a bad film, it was beautifully shot and well made, but it just was of no interest to me. If Mongolian language subtitled epic biographies of 13th century emperors are your thing, you may enjoy this. Otherwise I'd probably avoid this.

National Lampoon's European Vacation - This is good but not as good as the original. It relies a little bit too much on slapstick-style humour and visual gags, while the first one was more character based. An amusing enough jaunt through Europe with Clark & co., and it may actually have more LOL moments than the first one, but towards the end the laughs dry up and it all gets a bit silly. They end up getting embroiled with slimy Italian bank robbers in Rome and have a big car chase, which falls flat, and Beverley D'Angelo gets her own story arc at the end and gets far too much screen time, giving her ample opportunity to prove what a lousy actress she is. Still, fucking funny though.

The Departed. Woo hoo - A film I actually liked! A bit corny in a few places and a bit long (I suck at watching films) but great acting and a good story with an unexpected twist. If there's one accent cooler than slightly posh Aberdeenshire it is the Boston accent :up:

Now that was a good film. Really enjoyed it. Though controversial as it may sound, I thought Jack Nicholson was very badly miscast. He's too into gurning and pulling funny faces to play a dangerous character anymore. Plus he's fucking ancient.

Now that was a good film. Really enjoyed it. Though controversial as it may sound, I thought Jack Nicholson was very badly miscast. He's too into gurning and pulling funny faces to play a dangerous character anymore. Plus he's fucking ancient.

I thought that was one of Jack's best in years.

I watched Awaydays last night.

I read the book about 10 years ago when it came out, it's a football hooligan story but focussed on the 'casual' movement around Liverpool in the late 70's. It was an OK movie, great soundtrack (lots of Joy Division, Bunnymen, Magazine, early Ultravox) but I'm going to have to read the book again as I'm sure it told the story in a slightly more successful way with reasons for events better explained. Some rather gratuitous Stanley knife use depicted which can't be a good idea in this day and age. The main culprit is a right horrible wee scrote, kudos to the actor concerned. Unless he is like that in real life of course. 7/10.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (original Robert Wise-directed 50s version)

Awesome, so much better than the shite re-make. Still stands up for a 50-odd year old movie. If you like like Sci-fi this should be essential viewing. 8/10

Angels and Demons

Bog-standard, predictable Hollywood sequel fare that completely lacked any balls at all. Totally tip-toes around any criticism of the catholic church. Plus, wouldn't sky detonation of an anti-metter bomb shower the Vacitan in weird big-bang radiation? 4/10

Young Guns

Bought in a fit of nostalgia mega-cheap in the latest Play.com sale. The Brat pack do Western, with Emilio Estevez as Billy the Kid alongside Charlie Sheen (pre-hookers and drugs), Kiefer Sutherland when his roles covered more than a 24 hour timespan, Dermot Mulroney and Lou Diamond Philips. Factually I'm sure it's pure tripe but I found it still watchable and entertaining. Even with the 80's guitar solo music. 7/10.

Clash of the Titans

Another Play.com bargain. I've loved this film since I was a kid, Ray Harryhausen effects are naturally dated but it is still a fun movie. I'm really hoping the upcoming remake is great. 7/10.

Sin City

Just fancied rewatching this on Saturday night, still a great movie and pretty much all good acting, especially Mickey Rourke and Elijah Wood was great as Kevin, he should try and do more atypical stuff. 9/10.

Frost/Nixon

Not bad, good performances all round, Frank Langella especially. Only gripe was the final effort by Frost to do some swotting up for the final interview to save the day. It may well have happened in reality but felt like a clichd finale in the film context. 8/10.

Carlito's Way - which was absolutely fantastic. I loved this film. Mafia and gangeter films are almost always brilliant and this one was no exception. Pacino was great as the bad guy trying to go straight, and getting sucked into the gangster stuff again against his will. Though Sean Penn really managed to steal the show from him. Incredible performance from Penn. If you haven't seen it, watch it.

Flags of Our Fathers - WWII film directed by Clint Eastwood about the Battle of Iwo Jima and the soldiers involved in the iconic photograph "raising the flag of Iwo Jima" and the political/marketing bullshit that followed. As far as Hollywood created Pacific WWII films go, it's a lot better than Pearl Harbor :laughing: Not amazing but a good story based on truth with pretty good action scenes.

The Black Book - Dutch film about an undercover jew in Nazi occupied Holland (I'm a bit obsessed with WWII at the moment). Very tense and set at a good pace if a little corny at times. A very attractive female lead :love:

Would recommend both if you like that sort of thing.

The Black Book - Dutch film about an undercover jew in Nazi occupied Holland (I'm a bit obsessed with WWII at the moment). Very tense and set at a good pace if a little corny at times. A very attractive female lead :love:

I thought this was excellent. Paul verhoeven returning to his 'roots' after a string of awful films. War films are ace.

Last night I watched Knowing, was OK, again fairly predictable towards the end; but better than I was expecting.

I couldn't have put it better about 'knowing' myself!

Films seen this week....

Schizo - 1976 brit slasher flick from horror maestro Pete Walker - pretty gory and a nice but predictable twist in the story. Starring a young and hot looking Stephanie Beacham and Peter Sellers ex wife the late Lynn Frederick who was branded a gold digger as she ended up getting the entire sellers estate. Also she was married to David Frost briefly. A must see if your a fan of grainy 70's British horror.

Valkyrie - aye not bad, Tom Cruise was outshadowed by a cream of sturdy British acting talent (Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Kenneth Branagh etc.) but was well worth watching. Yeah deffo enjoyed it quite a lot actually.