aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Wackness

Friendship, love, and coming of age in New York City, summer of 1994. Luke Shapiro has just graduated from high school, sells marijuana, and trades pot for therapy from a psychologist, Dr. Jeffrey Squires. Luke is attracted to a classmate, Stephanie, who's out of his league and Squires' step-daughter. By July, he's hanging out with Stephanie, taking her on his rounds selling pot out of an ice-cream pushcart. Then things take a turn. In the background, Squires and his wife as well as Luke's parents are having their troubles.

82%

I watched The Poisedon Adventure on Channel 4 on the weekend. Remember it from when I was a kid, but didn't remember it being so harrowing! When the old manny's (who is also the Grandpa in the origibal Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) wife dies it's harsh as fuck! Good film though, everyone dies...

Switchblade Romance - Not as good as I thought it was going to be. Twist was a bit thin. Ace gore though.

The sideboard/head interface bit is still one of the most amazing horror scenes I've seen.....

Last night I watched 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?' which we have had knocking about the house a while but not got round to watching. As with some old movies the music can be a bit overly melodramatic at times but it's a really good movie. 8/10.

I also watched 'Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan' over the weekend which wasn't as good as I'd remembered but still one of the better Star Trek films I've seen. KHAAAAAN. 7/10.

Switchblade Romance - Not as good as I thought it was going to be. Twist was a bit thin. Ace gore though.

Agreed - the twist is a bit cliche (damn lesbians!), but the gore makes up for it.

I really think the bit where the girl is hiding in the wardrobe is the best throat-slitting I've seen in a movie, the air escaping from the victim's neck before the claret flows is a work of art.

And the bit at the end with the angle-grinder? Genius :up:

This weekend I watched:

A Nightmare On Elm Street 6 - Freddy's Dead. Lacks any real scary moments, and has a little bit too much of the campy comedy that the NOES series became. Though unlike 4 and 5, it at least has an interesting plot and some decent characters. It's not the best Freddy sequel but it's not the worst by far, it's at least watchable. Features some odd cameos from the likes of Roseanne Barr, Alice Cooper (as Freddy's dad!) and Johnny Depp.

NOES 1 - Good! Scary! Freddy is evil!

NOES 2 - Basically the first film again but with added gay undertones.

NOES 3 (Dream Warriors) - Good! Scary! Freddy is evil! Heather Lagenkamp is back in it!

NOES 4 (The Dream Master) - BORING. Shit plot and basically a boring comedy. Stupid crap cliches a-plenty.

NOES 5 (The Dream Child) - Just truly awful. A new low, not just for the series but for humanity.

NOES 6 (Freddy's Dead) - A good sight better than the last two, and probably better than the second one, but the computer game sequence is ludicrous and a bit cringeworthy.

NOES 7 (New Nightmare) - Good! Scary! Freddy is evil! Heather Lagenkamp is back in it! Intelligent plot! Freddy is real!

In order of goodness : 1, 3, 7, 6, 2, 4, 5. I'm looking forward to the remake as it's going back to when Freddy was properly evil and scary, not just some cock making wisecracks.

Anyway, I give NOES 6:

The Butterfly Effect - Quite a clever and fairly high concept little thriller, which is let down a bit by plot holes and a poor cast. Still it's quite enjoyably and will keep you watching until the end. The version I watched was the "Director's Cut" and had a different ending to the one I saw in the cinema. I preferred the cinema ending.

The Gift - a 2000 supernatural thriller with an ensemble cast, about a girl who disappears in a little backwater town in the Deep South. The police turn to a local psychic to help find her. I really enjoyed this film. The storyline ran along nicely and the majority of the cast played their roles really, really well. Cate Blanchett was fantastic, as was Giovanni Ribisi who really stood out. Also great performances from Greg Kinnear, Hilary Swank and Katie Holmes. The only one who let the side down was Keanu Reeves who really doesn't have the range or the screen presence to play a really convincing baddie, in fact he barely has the range to play a human being. It's only weak point really was that it relied a little bit too much on cheap scares.

This one is well worth checking out.

Cannibal Ferox. Part of a batch of DVD's borrowed off Dave Death, and one of the original video nasties which I've been meaning to watch for years. Settled down to watch it last night.

It was absolute fucking cobblers.

:down:

Most of the so-called video nasties should have been banned on quality grounds alone. Usually total pish. Last House on the Left was possibly the worst film I have ever seen.

Most of the so-called video nasties should have been banned on quality grounds alone. Usually total pish.

Too true, but I was about 7 back then and remember the fact that I wasn't meant to watch them meant that I'm going to on principle at some point in my life.

Most of them have been pretty grim, but I'll keep ploughing through them for completion's sake.

:up:

Never seen it. The exceptions that prove the rule are The Exorcist, Straw Dogs and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, although the first two probably aren't real "video nasties" I guess despite being banned.

It has it's moments, but it goes on for too long. I think it was banned for one short scene where a homeless guy is shown being drilled right in the forehead. The so-called "punk" band next door are diabolical too. But worth a watch, just to see it if nothing else.

:up:

I saw the new Harry Potter film and it was fucking ace. Granted I've read all the books etc, it would be easy to get lost if you haven't but if you have it's the bollocks. Some really nice cinematography in it as well, nothing like the other films that were just geared to turn the books into summer blockbusters. Some of the effects were amazing. Especially the looking into the pencieve, that was visually stunning.

Book is still better because of how much the film misses out, but if you do like the books this one is great. :up:

I'm not really in to Harry Potter, but I went to see this with my girlfriend and it was pretty decent.

Although, isn't big HP meant to be a totally class wizard and the saviour of the world an' that? In that case, why is the best spell he knows 'stupify'? When those Gollumy things are crawling out of the water, probably about to devour his soul, the best thing he can come out with is the magical equivalent of a slap on the wrist. Poor effort mate.

He should have kept Snape's book, that was more like it.

'Suspiria' wasn't on the Nasties list but it is ace. Weird but ace. 'Tenebrae' was the Dario Argento film that was classed as a Nasty. And it's also ace. But this all depends whether you like Argento movies really, tend to be short on plot but big on inventive death scenes and starange but great music. They did tend to get cut back in the day but most can be obtained uncut now. I recommend the 2 mentioned plus 'Opera' and 'Deep Red' as staring points. 'Phenomena' is also worth a watch with an early role for Jennifer Connolly, completely random Iron Maiden songs on the soundtrack and Donald Pleasance. And a murderous monkey. And insects who play detective. You have to watch it really....

'Cannibal Holocaust' is a much better effort than Ferox. The uncut version is a bit gruesome and distressing due to real animal killings though.

'Driller Killer' pretty much kicked off the whole nasties thing because the cover and ads in video mags showed the tramp getting his head drilled in glorious close-up technicolour and drew attention to what was being punted out of the video shops. It is however a rather dull film, hard to believe the same gut who made the amazing 'King of New York' was responsible. Actually, he has made some other dung over the years other than that...

I watched The Poisedon Adventure on Channel 4 on the weekend. Remember it from when I was a kid, but didn't remember it being so harrowing! When the old manny's (who is also the Grandpa in the origibal Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) wife dies it's harsh as fuck! Good film though, everyone dies...

I saw that was on at the weekend, but missed it! Ace classic disaster movie! Haven't watched the re-make and not sure I would like to, it would spoil it surely!

I watched Mystic River, Clint Eastwood directed movie (based on a novel) set in Boston about 3 childhood friends who get reunited when one of their daughters is killed and one is the main suspect. Film full of great actors Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, Laurance Fishbourne, Tim Robbins...which resulted in a quite a powerfully scripted film. Good acting, good twists and keeps you thinking throughout. No thrills, just character setting and a good storyline

Thumbs up!

I saw that was on at the weekend, but missed it! Ace classic disaster movie! Haven't watched the re-make and not sure I would like to, it would spoil it surely!

I watched Mystic River, Clint Eastwood directed movie (based on a novel) set in Boston about 3 childhood friends who get reunited when one of their daughters is killed and one is the main suspect. Film full of great actors Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, Laurance Fishbourne, Tim Robbins...which resulted in a quite a powerfully scripted film. Good acting, good twists and keeps you thinking throughout. No thrills, just character setting and a good storyline

Thumbs up!

Agreed, that's a fantastic film.

This weekend I watched:

The Gift - a 2000 supernatural thriller with an ensemble cast, about a girl who disappears in a little backwater town in the Deep South. The police turn to a local psychic to help find her. I really enjoyed this film. The storyline ran along nicely and the majority of the cast played their roles really, really well. Cate Blanchett was fantastic, as was Giovanni Ribisi who really stood out. Also great performances from Greg Kinnear, Hilary Swank and Katie Holmes.

No shout out to Holmes' baps? no?