aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Guest treader.

I watched When Harry Met Sally for the first time ever two days ago.

I realised that I'd heard/read almost every single line in a magazine/online/book/wherever since it's release.

Still good though. The little spiel Crystal does at the end is smart.

Saw The Unborn tonight. It's a psychological thriller, apparently.

The biggest shock I got was when the first scary bit came on, the (rather attractive) lassie next to me screamed in horror. I can only assume the screen lit up enough of my face that she was able to see me out of the corner of her eye, and that caused a bigger scare than the film itself...

Anyway, yeah, I've seen worse films, but it was so bloody obvious throughout. 5/10, including a bonus point cause the chick was tidy. And another bonus point cause the chick in the film was tidy too :up:

Watched White Diamond last night. It's a documentary by Werner Herzog about a biologist/engineer/madman who builds a wee airship contraption to explore the rainforest canopy in Guyana. It's not as intense as Grizzly Man, it has a more laid back feel, but the imagery and soundtrack are pretty breathtaking.

Without getting overly wanky about it... There's a brilliant little editing technique in this film. The people say their bit to the camera then there's a few awkard moments of silence before it cuts to the next scene. It's basically the director leaving in bits that would normally be left on the cutting room floor. It happens a lot and you feel as if you get to know the characters better by seeing their natural reactions to being filmed. Like one guy starts doing silly little mimes and another fidgets for a while then just starts saying whatever pops into his mind as if he's feeling pressured to continue talking.

Watched Pride and Glory last night.

On the back cover it said "Makes The Departed look like The Bill - Johnny Vaughan", which really just goes to show how bad a film critic Johnny Vaughan is.

It was ok, but was a fairly plodding 2 hours and a very unfulfilling ending for a cop drama

After all that they 2 of the guys were caught/killed because they fucked up a robbery and the main bad guy was just sitting in a bar waiting to be arrested

I watched some good stuff over the weekend.

Friday night I watched Rope, a Hitchcock thriller from 1948. Two guys kill their friend right at the start and then hide his body in a chest in their living room while they host a dinner party around it. It's notable for a few reasons, firstly it's in real time, the film is an hour and a half long, and represents an hour and a half of the characters lives in the film. Secondly, the entire film is set in an apartment which they (the main characters and the viewer) never actually leave. Thirdly the way it's filmed, to tie in with the real-time theme the camera follows the characters around seemingly without ever cutting away (and when it does it's done very slyly) and so the film seems to just run and run without any breaks. Scenes can last up to 15 minutes without a single camera cut. It's almost like watching a play rather than a movie. Anyway, good story, good characters. It's not Hitchcock's most engaging film in terms of storyline but it's worth watching just for the brilliant way it's filmed.

Sunday night I watched Taken a blood and snotter action movie featuring Liam Neeson kicking ass and taking names. Liam's daughter gets kidnapped by some Albanian rascals while in France, who want to sell her into the sex trade. Liam, an ex-CIA man, flies to France and fucks everybody up on a one-man quest to save his daughter. It got some really bad reviews when it came out, and to be honest some of the messages it sends out are questionable - in this universe, all foreigners are evil and not to be trusted (including the police and the foreign secret service) and if you want things done properly and honestly you need to rely on the good old U.S of A. You almost expect Liam Neeson to rip his shirt off and have the Stars and Stripes tattooed on his chest or something, as he kills foreigners while exposing corruption in the French government. Also the script is quite clunky ("I'll tear up the Eiffell Tower if I have to!"), and the daughter is really badly cast. Though in saying that it's a good gritty movie that pounds the senses and gets the adrenaline going. I enjoyed it.

Last night I watched Amelie for the umpteenth time, which I just absolutely adore. Every time i watch it it's like sitting down with an old friend.

Watched White Diamond last night. It's a documentary by Werner Herzog about a biologist/engineer/madman who builds a wee airship contraption to explore the rainforest canopy in Guyana. It's not as intense as Grizzly Man, it has a more laid back feel, but the imagery and soundtrack are pretty breathtaking.

Without getting overly wanky about it... There's a brilliant little editing technique in this film. The people say their bit to the camera then there's a few awkard moments of silence before it cuts to the next scene. It's basically the director leaving in bits that would normally be left on the cutting room floor. It happens a lot and you feel as if you get to know the characters better by seeing their natural reactions to being filmed. Like one guy starts doing silly little mimes and another fidgets for a while then just starts saying whatever pops into his mind as if he's feeling pressured to continue talking.

This sounds very good....must seek it out.

Last film watched was 'My name is Sam'........sentimental, but still OK.

I watched Outbreak which I picked up on the cheap.

Fantastic cast. Shame the script wasn't the best. Hoffman was fantastic as always, it was wierd seeing Morgan Freeman as a bit of a baddie. Entertaining enough though. A solid 7/10.

i was going to mention another film where morgan freeman was a bit of a baddie, which was really good, but i thought i'd better not, cause it'd kind of be a spoiler... i'll shut up now. i'm currently watching disturbia. it's okay so far.

I watched First Blood and First Blood: Part II on Blu Ray last night and i can honestly say that they look stunning despite their age. The films were good to obviously :D

I still have Rambo III and IV to watch as well.

Also watched The Life Aquatic for the first time and i wasn't overly impressed to be honest. There were some funny bits, the music was cool (especially Bowie in Portuguese) and it looked nice. It just felt a little flat to me. Having said that, i'm not a massive fan of Wes Anderson's work anyway so i wasn't expecting much.

Watched Blue Velvet, having heard everyone going on about how great it was for years.

Thought it was pretty crap to be honest, enjoyed Hopper and Dean Stockwell but overall impression was "meh".

Hopper is awesome in it! One of the best film villains ever in my opinion. Blue Velvet is one of my favourite films.

I haven't seen that since school. It is a cracking film though from what i remember.

Indeed, Rourke is fantastic and it is perhaps the only film starring Nicholas Cage where I haven't wanted to throw the remote through the screen at his utter shiteness, ok maybe Wild at Heart excluded as well. Hopper as drunken dad is also superb.

Indeed, Rourke is fantastic and it is perhaps the only film starring Nicholas Cage where I haven't wanted to throw the remote through the screen at his utter shiteness, ok maybe Wild at Heart excluded as well. Hopper as drunken dad is also superb.

You're not wrong. I think this might actually be Nic Cage's only good film...

Rourke is great, this is probably one of his better outings (i haven't seen the Wrestler yet and the only other one that springs to mind is Sin City).

You're not wrong. I think this might actually be Nic Cage's only good film...

Rourke is great, this is probably one of his better outings (i haven't seen the Wrestler yet and the only other one that springs to mind is Sin City).

I must take umbrage with this. Have you SEEN Face/Off?!?! Or Matchstick Men? He's great in both of them.