aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Guest Tam o' Shantie

watched deathproof last night. not really convinced, and still wish i could have seen it in its original format as a double with the rodriguez flick. the format of the movie was pretty ridiculous with it basically being 2 seperate stories albiet similar in theme one after the other. furthermore, the kooky 'grindhouse' vibe with the tatty film quality, intentional jump cuts, misaligned dubbing etc was only really apparent in the first half, save for a 5 minute window with no colour in the 2nd part...just seemed like they got lazy and couldnt be fucked doing the fx for the second half.

"OMG but tarantino totally wanted you to get annoyed by that and think that it was a lazy movie and that the flow of the movie was really weak and that he probably spent more time trying to reference his own earlier movies than actually working on this one" well i guess i was suckered.

the dialogue was so typically tarantino that it became a bit predictable. snappy, sassy monologues that try hard to be 'quotable' like some of the lines from reservoir dogs, pulp fiction etc but just fail. the self referencing, even for a casual fan was pretty OTT, big kahuna burger, "don't blaspheme" etc. for any tarantino nerds, there were probably a million others that i missed.

people have been slagging his formula off for a while but i would probably say that it was my least favourite movie that he has done, in the format that I saw it last night. the grindhouse idea was really most of its appeal, and seperating the two really didn't do tarantino's part much justice as a single feature length.

watched deathproof last night. not really convinced, and still wish i could have seen it in its original format as a double with the rodriguez flick. the format of the movie was pretty ridiculous with it basically being 2 seperate stories albiet similar in theme one after the other. furthermore, the kooky 'grindhouse' vibe with the tatty film quality, intentional jump cuts, misaligned dubbing etc was only really apparent in the first half, save for a 5 minute window with no colour in the 2nd part...just seemed like they got lazy and couldnt be fucked doing the fx for the second half.

"OMG but tarantino totally wanted you to get annoyed by that and think that it was a lazy movie and that the flow of the movie was really weak and that he probably spent more time trying to reference his own earlier movies than actually working on this one" well i guess i was suckered.

the dialogue was so typically tarantino that it became a bit predictable. snappy, sassy monologues that try hard to be 'quotable' like some of the lines from reservoir dogs, pulp fiction etc but just fail. the self referencing, even for a casual fan was pretty OTT, big kahuna burger, "don't blaspheme" etc. for any tarantino nerds, there were probably a million others that i missed.

people have been slagging his formula off for a while but i would probably say that it was my least favourite movie that he has done, in the format that I saw it last night. the grindhouse idea was really most of its appeal, and seperating the two really didn't do tarantino's part much justice as a single feature length.

I totally agree with you. I did see it in the original grindhouse format and Planet Terror and the shorts definitely carried it. I also made the huge mistake of attending a midnight showing after getting hella blunted outside the theatre first.

I could barely stay awake.

I watched the 40 Year Old Virgin and The Ringer at the weekend. Seen them both before but both are still good for a chuckle.

Re Grindhouse, I've seen Grindhouse in it's original format at a one off showing at Vue, and both Death Proof and Planet Terror are 20 minutes shorter. It makes the films much better because when they released them seperately they had to put back in all the boring filler that they cut out because it wasn't very good to pad out the time. The films flow much better in Grindhouse format.

I watched few films on Sat, ended up staying up till 5am to finish them they were that good!!

Firstly watched

Fred Claus - Getting in the xmas mood now I can relax, having bought all my presents, so watched this, pretty light hearted xmas family comdey, got a few chuckles out me, but wasn't the best xmas film....loads of famous people in it tho!

Transsiberian- Really enjoyed this, thriller with Woody Harrelson and the girl from 51st State,travellers get involved in a some drug smuggling scandal, great movie, kept me wondering what was going to happen next or how they were gonna end up, recommend

Taken-liam neeson's daughter & her pal taken from an apartment in france for sale, liam is an ex-goverment agent so decides to track her himself, another good thriller type movie, and is quite shocking the things that go on in the world, quite distrubing seeing the girls taken for druging up and prostitution

Oh I forgot, I also watched some Xmas movies at the weekend.

Xmas with The Kramps, a Tim Allen vehicle which also reunites Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis. Aykroyd is dependable as ever, but Jamie Lee Curtis is given nothing to do except be neurotic and scream a lot. She's just annoying in it. It was an alright film, not great. Tim Allen and Dan Aykroyd save it.

Also watched Scrooged, hands down the best Xmas movie ever. It's not Bill Murray's finest role, but he does squeeze in a few of his trademark deadpan moments. Of course being an Xmas movie they all become better people at the end. Also features an unrecognisable David Johansen (lead singer of the New York Dolls) as the Ghost Of Christmas Past, a scuzzy NY taxi driver. Absolutely fantastic.

On Saturday, I watched....

Prince Caspian

Awful, awful movie. I was yawning after 10 minutes. No drama or tension. Lame dialogue. Inept cast. Hollow and soulless. How could the director & producers completely fuck-up CS Lewis work?

The Happening

Intriguing premise and terrific start, but degenerated into a real snoozer. Wahlberg is an OK actor, but he couldn't carry this movie. Zooey Deschanel may well have the best peepers in hollywood, but I'm afraid that's all she did in this mess - stumble about the set with her headlamps on full beam. Worst. Script. Ever.

The Happening

Intriguing premise and terrific start, but degenerated into a real snoozer. Wahlberg is an OK actor, but he couldn't carry this movie. Zooey Deschanel may well have the best peepers in hollywood, but I'm afraid that's all she did in this mess - stumble about the set with her headlamps on full beam. Worst. Script. Ever.

Empire is calling that the worst film of the year.

It's meant to be really good, they've done an English remake called Quarantine which is meant to be a bit rubbish.

Ahhhh is that the remake, saw that advertised in the cinema! I thoguht it looked ok tho...but if it's a remake, probably not as good as the first!

Got 'More' to watch on Wednesday (movie night with pals!)

I bought 'Big Trouble in Little China' cheap a while back in a fit of nostalgia, unfortunately I found it to be hopelessly pish nowadays, crap special effects and that old slapper from Sex in the City being rubbish.

I also revisited 'Escape from LA' for the same reason and found it a pish film for many reasons but also good in a crap kinda way. I think my expectations were too high first time round due to an enduring love of 'Escape From New York', definitely Kurt Russell's finest John Carpenter collaboration, closely followed by 'The Thing'.

Mean Machine on Film4 last night, along with The Hills Have Eyes straight after it. I'm pretty sure I posted about seeing that for the first time last month in here when I watched it on film4, so there you go.

Also watched Mean Girls tonight, not as spectacularly pish as I expected it to be...and Lacey Chabert :up:

Saw the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time, wasn't impressed though Jessica Biel looked pretty foxy in it. Leatherface was a bit of a woose in it, I could have taken him pretty easily. :0)

Also watched Star Wars:Phantom Menace again and got even more annoyed with it, so many nit picks it was unbelievable. I thought I might have liked it better after a long period of time but I ended up being even more dissapointed. The war scene at the end with the Jar Jar folks against the droids was just cringe worthy. Why when the big control ship blows up do some of the robots heads fall off??? Also if the shield on the big control ship is impenetrable how does Anakins fighter get in the hanger to blow it up from the inside out? Also, how can the Jedi swat away the laser bolts with their lightsabers, looking at the arm speed when they do it the bolts can only be going 100mph or so, a good old fashioned bullet would soon them pesky Jedi off! I could type dozens of paragrpahs on all the annoying points in this film. Don't get me started on the lamest battle droids of all time either!

I'm not going to cover myself in glory here, and I'm not defending the mostly-shiteness of TPM, but....

Why when the big control ship blows up do some of the robots heads fall off???

I'm guessing the Battle Droids are powered remotely from the control ship, and their heads are held on magnetically - no power, no magnetism, no head....

Also if the shield on the big control ship is impenetrable how does Anakins fighter get in the hanger to blow it up from the inside out?

Different types of shielding - hanger bays in Star Wars are magenetically shielded, rather than standard defensive ray shielded, allowing ships to pass through - see how the Falcon lands in the Death Star hanger bay in ANH without anyone being sucked into space.

Also, how can the Jedi swat away the laser bolts with their lightsabers, looking at the arm speed when they do it the bolts can only be going 100mph or so, a good old fashioned bullet would soon them pesky Jedi off!

Power of the force my friend! Vader (and later in the prequels Obi-Wan) can deflect blaster bolts with their hands

I could type dozens of paragrpahs on all the annoying points in this film. Don't get me started on the lamest battle droids of all time either!

Yeah, the droids are annoying, good point. The Super-Battle Droids and Droidekas are cool though...

Also watched Mean Girls tonight, not as spectacularly pish as I expected it to be...and Lacey Chabert :up:

Watched some of it last night and was reminded of just how great a film it is. Very funny stuff and a great script. Lindsay Lohan clearly has real talent as well which just makes the stuff she gets up to in her private life all the more galling.

I'm not going to cover myself in glory here, and I'm not defending the mostly-shiteness of TPM, but....

I'm guessing the Battle Droids are powered remotely from the control ship, and their heads are held on magnetically - no power, no magnetism, no head....

(ah but, you clearly see the trade geezers pressing the on button for them on the ship and the droid heads weren't wobbly before hand and only some of the droid heads fell off when control was lost. Also the droids were activated after the attack started so who was driving the tanks etc and why did they stop working also? It doesn't really make sense that there wouldn't be a mechanical connection for their heads though so still strikes me as Lucas Lameness)

Different types of shielding - hanger bays in Star Wars are magenetically shielded, rather than standard defensive ray shielded, allowing ships to pass through - see how the Falcon lands in the Death Star hanger bay in ANH without anyone being sucked into space.

(I am aware of the different shielding types but why then don't all the fighters attack the hanger areas, especially as they are carrying proton torps or similar as witnessed by Anikans internal attack, makes no sense. Also, why is there a fusion reactor (or similar) in the flight bay that Anikan can blow up to cause a chain reaction, very poor design that! It's like having the engine room in the main hanger bay of a modern aircraft carrier so that when there is one we aircraft accident the whole lot goes BOOM!)

Power of the force my friend! Vader (and later in the prequels Obi-Wan) can deflect blaster bolts with their hands

(That is all very well in being able to do that but it is more the velocity of the incoming bolts that pose a question. As they are carrying out physical swings of their sabres to deflect the bolts and not much quicker than an average fencer or baseball player then the laser bolts must be travelling very slowly indeed unlike our light speed lasers. Looks like charged particle clumps launched very slowly. I still maintain if you got the drop on one of them Jedi dudes a Mach 3 travelling modern sniper bullet would have them)

Yeah, the droids are annoying, good point. The Super-Battle Droids and Droidekas are cool though...

(the big rolly fellows were pretty cool)

ah but, you clearly see the trade geezers pressing the on button for them on the ship and the droid heads weren't wobbly before hand and only some of the droid heads fell off when control was lost. Also the droids were activated after the attack started so who was driving the tanks etc and why did they stop working also? It doesn't really make sense that there wouldn't be a mechanical connection for their heads though so still strikes me as Lucas Lameness

Fair enough, the magnetism excuse is tenuous, the full droid army probably wasn't activated until battle was imminent, but there still would've been active droid pilots

I am aware of the different shielding types but why then don't all the fighters attack the hanger areas, especially as they are carrying proton torps or similar as witnessed by Anikans internal attack, makes no sense. Also, why is there a fusion reactor (or similar) in the flight bay that Anikan can blow up to cause a chain reaction, very poor design that! It's like having the engine room in the main hanger bay of a modern aircraft carrier so that when there is one we aircraft accident the whole lot goes BOOM

Don't know much about Trade Federation ships, but on Imperial ships the hanger bays are extremely well defended with turbolaser batteries, plus the Nabooese pilots arten't exactly Rogue Squadron. Point conceded on the reactor though, way too convienent...

That is all very well in being able to do that but it is more the velocity of the incoming bolts that pose a question. As they are carrying out physical swings of their sabres to deflect the bolts and not much quicker than an average fencer or baseball player then the laser bolts must be travelling very slowly indeed unlike our light speed lasers. Looks like charged particle clumps launched very slowly. I still maintain if you got the drop on one of them Jedi dudes a Mach 3 travelling modern sniper bullet would have them

Lightsabre blades have very little physical mass (they're essentially a plasma arc with the centre of gravity is the hilt), meaning they can be swung a lot faster than a baseball bat, plus that's combined with the superhuman reactions of a Jedi (or Sith) through the force. And it's cool.

Camp Star Wars talk aside, i'm watching Green Street. A man's film. I enjoyed it at the cinema. Just as enjoyable on the small screen.

"A mans film" - gold :up:

If you liked Green Street, then you'd definitely like ID and The Firm (not the Tom Cruise shite*)

Cunts kicking fuck out of other cunts...the proper way....with boots, malkies, stanleys and iron bars...nane o' this namby-pamby light sabre pish.

*worst plot device ever - Cruise is running away from the the baddies, he jumps through a window several storeys up and lands.....into an open trailer full of jute....parked between two buildings in the legal district - you see it being parked earlier in the movie....a lorry load of jute..parked in the high finance and legals district...gie's fucking peace o_O

"A mans film" - gold :up:

If you liked Green Street, then you'd definitely like ID and The Firm (not the Tom Cruise shite*)

Cunts kicking fuck out of other cunts...the proper way....with boots, malkies, stanleys and iron bars...nane o' this namby-pamby light sabre pish.

*worst plot device ever - Cruise is running away from the the baddies, he jumps through a window several storeys up and lands.....into an open trailer full of jute....parked between two buildings in the legal district - you see it being parked earlier in the movie....a lorry load of jute..parked in the high finance and legals district...gie's fucking peace o_O

I've seen ID before, dunno about the non-Cruise Firm though. Will look it up on wiki or imdb to refresh my memory.

It appears that they're remaking the firm and it should be out next year :/

I don't remember the original so i'll give it a watch. I don't think i've seen the Football Factory either o_O How'd that one slip by me!