aberdeen-music

Kef closing: Memories and opinions

Guest Giles Walker

Guest calumunderkills

Surely the best ever gig has to be the Dykeenies last year..........

Probably because it was the only time The Underkills played there!!

That's my favourite memory of Kef anyway!

I remember going to watch my mate's band Rescue Party supporting some American band I hadn't heard of a couple of years ago. Didn't even go downstairs when the main band was on.

Turned out it was We Are Scientists!! My ticket cost 5 and I didn't even watch them - that will haunt me forever..... It would have been ace to watch them in a venue like Kef!!

I am going there to see Slaves To Gravity next Friday, my last visit to Kef. Seen a fair few good bands there though unless you walked passed and saw a poster you never knew what was going on there.

There are quite a few gigs booked for May so I am wondering if these have now been rebooked or the bands are unaware of the situation?

I am going there to see Slaves To Gravity next Friday, my last visit to Kef. Seen a fair few good bands there though unless you walked passed and saw a poster you never knew what was going on there.

There are quite a few gigs booked for May so I am wondering if these have now been rebooked or the bands are unaware of the situation?

Pretty sure it's been moved to Cafe Drummonds

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Surely the best ever gig has to be the Dykeenies last year..........

Probably because it was the only time The Underkills played there!!

That's my favourite memory of Kef anyway!

I remember going to watch my mate's band Rescue Party supporting some American band I hadn't heard of a couple of years ago. Didn't even go downstairs when the main band was on.

Turned out it was We Are Scientists!! My ticket cost 5 and I didn't even watch them - that will haunt me forever..... It would have been ace to watch them in a venue like Kef!!

That's what you get for automatically ignoring bands that aren't hip and established.

show has been moved to drummonds, other acts booked will either be performing at the tunnels or at drummonds.

those involved are all aware of the current changes that are going on.

Its not really underground, as that whole Patagonian Steps bit is built up: Clarification Corner

I suppose that doesn't make it so weird that it's being turned into hotel rooms.

It's still weird.

Anyway, to chip in something on topic, I had a blast when Grooverider spun rekkeds there, back in the day. FREE GROOVERIDER!

My happiest memory of Kef is of a gig where some absolutely terrible only-on-the-bill-to-sell-tickets band were playing, and giving them a hell of a lot of stick for being absolutely terrible. Giving them hell in front of their 'fans' (read : neds) and nearly reducing their 'singer' to tears was quite possibly one of the funniest/worst things I've ever done. Being threatened by a bunch of kids to "shut up or else" was also bloody funny.

I only wish I could remeber who I was actually there to see...

Guest calumunderkills
That's what you get for automatically ignoring bands that aren't hip and established.

Being in a band myself, I don't as a general rule ignore bands who aren't hip and established! It was just the way that night panned out - a load of folk I hadn't seen or spoke to for ages were upstairs chatting and drinking and we just kind of forgot to go downstairs when they were on!

Gutted I didn't see them properly though!

Pretty gutted it's closing to be honest, I go pretty much every week. It's about the only half decent club in Aberdeen, other than maybe Snafu. But tbh Snafu doesn't do a lot for me other than the fact they sometimes get good djs like Erol Alkan and Vitalic.

I don't really pretend to be a connaisseur of dance/dj'ing etc but generally I liked what I heard at Kef. And it sure as hell beats the listening to a rundown of the top 40 in Priory, Pearl Lounge or Liquid. I might just stay away from clubs completely now. Aberdeen is fucking shit :down: