aberdeen-music

Kef closing: Memories and opinions

Guest Giles Walker

dundee scamps kingsize getting up and playing ultrasounds instruments before being thrown out.

inspired by this memory, which i'd totally forgotten about, i'm trying to think of some of the 'gems' from the grassy verges of my recollection:

* Sona Fariq, leaping around the venue infront of 20 people...

* My friend Debs getting invited up to sing Wuthering Heights with China Drum and stage diving after an energetic performance...

* Sitting in a semi-circle right infront of the Pecadillos (?) with stoney "impress me" faces after they wouldn't let Clocker share their backline or something...

* Singing for RATAMS, and watching the circle pit main each other to Rage and Deftones songs...

To be fair, a lot of my memories are of hosting the AUBL Halloween nights, or the Air Guitar championships with Jonny A Go Go. And stuff like that. I'll do anything for free booze...

How did that work out for you?

They never played it, luckily all the fans were about 14 so they didn't beat us up. I'm now trying to remember why I was there in the first place...

Dude wasnt that a Harry Ds gig?

Haha, it did possibly happen at a Harry D's gig as well, but that would have been in good spirits, I think it was the night in The Moorings that I played with you guys you're thinking of.

First ever gig I went to was at Kef, and I am gutted that it is going. Highlights include:

- Lightyear's Neil whapping his cock out on stage

- Extreme Quiche/Pork Pie when Captain Everything played

- King Prawn's first gig at Kef (I have never seen downstairs so packed)

- Capdown's two nights, both amazing sets

- Liber8's wall of death during Morning Lush

- Many Quik gigs

- Precipeace was such an amazing night, although never go up to play 'The Chicken' when you are pissed out of your face

- Various circle pits which hurt like fuck

- My mate who ALWAYS lost his glasses/shoes in the mosh pit

- Various Ketchup and Jungle Nations (the ones which I can remember)

- People's faces when we played there for the first time

There is a sincere lack of places that I want to go in town as it is, but this is a major loss for Aberdeen. :(

HOW DID I FORGET THIS? I remember going home to my mum asking if I enjoyed the gig. I didn't know what to tell her. That gig was amazing. My friend Sam (SamWise, if he still posts) accidentally bought Captain Everything's album, thinking it was Lightyear's. I had to change it for him, with Lightyear subsequently ripping it out of CE. All in good faith, obviously.

Can't believe it's going to be a hotel, that's crazy.

HOW DID I FORGET THIS? I remember going home to my mum asking if I enjoyed the gig. I didn't know what to tell her. That gig was amazing. My friend Sam (SamWise, if he still posts) accidentally bought Captain Everything's album, thinking it was Lightyear's. I had to change it for him, with Lightyear subsequently ripping it out of CE. All in good faith, obviously.

Can't believe it's going to be a hotel, that's crazy.

even i forgot that, then they brought a canoe on stage, did he not also go on to the dance floor with his trousers at his ankles?

First ever gig I went to was at Kef, and I am gutted that it is going. Highlights include:

- Extreme Quiche/Pork Pie when Captain Everything played

- King Prawn's first gig at Kef (I have never seen downstairs so packed)

- Capdown's two nights, both amazing sets

- Liber8's wall of death during Morning Lush

- Many Quik gigs

- Precipeace was such an amazing night, although never go up to play 'The Chicken' when you are pissed out of your face

- Various circle pits which hurt like fuck

- My mate who ALWAYS lost his glasses/shoes in the mosh pit

- Various Ketchup and Jungle Nations (the ones which I can remember)

- People's faces when we played there for the first time

There is a sincere lack of places that I want to go in town as it is, but this is a major loss for Aberdeen. :(

the extreme quiche and pork pie challenge rocked. i also remember one of the aubl christmas nights, when we did a ''eat as much christmas pies challenge'' think wee Aaron from gilman street won it, he ate something like 18 christmas pies, his present for that was another pack of 6 mince pies, which i believe, he also ate.

I'm sorry but i stand by my comment, although i agree that Lunik is a good dj.

It is naive of you to think that Kethup was the first regular night playing Breaks (breakz??) Electro and Minimal techno, Tunnels and Snafu have had Vjs playing regularly for years and there is no such thing as back to back 6 deck battle mixing.

It is a shame that Kef is closing but seriously what the hell are you talking about? I think Lunik and Darryl would be the first to admit that they were not the pioneers of Breaks, Electro or Minimal Techno in Aberdeen. Get a grip.

The Works, Glow 303, Lava and Kef have put on some amazing nights in the past and i think this thread should maybe concentrate on that since we can't stop the closure. I am not up for trying to turn it into some sacred cow.

There was a period in the late 90s and early 00s where it seemed there were endless amazing guests in that place. Kenny having Dj Noize, Cash Money, DJ Krush and heaps more amazing hip hop djs on a Tuesday night?! and then you could pretty much guarantee that thursday through to saturday was gonna be good as well. I had so many good nights back then.

Hey Giles - I definitely agree that we were not pioneers of breaks, electro or minimal in Aberdeen, and I'm not sure what back to back 6 deck battle mixing is either - compuphonic you've confused us with your semantics ?(

It's an emotional time this, and there are a lot of fingers being unfairly pointed, and I'm not wanting to flog this dead horse either, but I would just like to add that, although relatively new to the promotions game, I've never treated KETchup as a hobby. We don't have guests, by choice, because we know that we can entertain a crowd. The proof is in the pudding - or rather the youtube

That's me said my peace, Giles :up:

It is naive of you to think that Kethup was the first regular night playing Breaks (breakz??) Electro and Minimal techno,

Fair comment, Lunik is a bit of a kleptomaniac...

Tunnels and Snafu have had Vjs playing regularly for years

Not billed as a regular part of the night ? Which nights are doing that ?

and there is no such thing as back to back 6 deck battle mixing.

Yeah I made that up, must have spent too long on the playstation.. I've been told it was only 4 decks (cause the 2 computer decks were being controlled by CDJ's anyway) and it wasn't a battle, just competitive mixing (with 3 mixers) - I believe there isn't a name for this sort of thing??? but it did really happen !

The Works, Glow 303, Lava and Kef have put on some amazing nights in the past and i think this thread should maybe concentrate on that since we can't stop the closure.

Yes, the way your original post reads, it sounds as if you are having a go at people putting their own time, effort and money into trying make a go of a diverse range of nights hosted at a club that has been freewheeling for a few years. I'd thought you were calling them a bunch of lazy amatures.. o_O

A lot of people put a lot of effort in behind the scenes at clubs like Kef so that folk can have a choice of a good night out. Those folks have already had a kicking this week as their services are no longer required, so I'm saying thanks for your efforts, and not blaming their abilities...

Anyway.. Kef R.I.P. Belmont Street has changed significantly in the last 5 years, it doesn't really fit into the place it once defined...

I imagine the last night is going ot be a bit of a riot :up:

Just remembered Idlewild were amazing at Glow! Got the Captain EP signed at that gig! fantastic. When they were good 'n' all that............

Also the Needles & GoldBlade was a particulary brilliant night, must have been 10 years ago now! I remember it well as that was when I was a pup and never got hangovers - was out the very next day getting into a similar state!

Guest Neutral

Hope it goes out with a bang, maybe someone should fire out letters to a heap of bands who played previously and see if they would be willing to come for an extra long benefit gig

Id volunteer for that

Highlights for me

Capdown, King Prawn, Miocene, Fishstock and getting covered in leg ooze, chanting you suck at the kennedy soundtrack :p god they were horrendous.

it will be sad to see it go and i for one will come to the last night, assuming im onshore at the time