aberdeen-music

lots of synth advice needed.

jf9tp2wd40

I need some advice here... i basically have an idea in my head of how i want my new project to sound but no idea how to go about creating it.

It will be a mixture of lots of electro, lots of group vocals, lots of vocoded vocals, small amounts of screaming, and plenty of circuit bent gadgets plus un-unusual and unconventional percussion.

The only thing i really need help with is the synthesiser side of things... I can't make up my mind wether to go for modern, or vintage synth... and TBH have no clue about equiptment...

I want a 61 key controller, but apart from that i am unsure... the budget is around 1000 but for that i want something that will basically fulfill all my needs and be useable live and able to take a bit of abuse. What would you recomend i use? Rack mounted synthesisers and a midi keyboard?

Thanks a lot for the advice, and apologies if that makes no sense... i am a synth noob, and have never played anything more complex than a microKorg.

Looks like a nicely ambitious project.

Can you clarify what that 1000 has to cover? Is it purely for a keyboard/keyboards?

I think you will get a mixed response from people regarding equipment, it's kind of like the mac/pc debate, the opinion of why bother with hardware when you could midi up to a nice laptop and use diverse range of software against buying expensive, quality hardware.

I like hardware myself. There is a great diversity in synths/keyboards at the moment. Spent some time in the Sound Control in Edinburgh at the weekend, they have a great selection to try out. Why not take a trip to somewhere like that where you could try a decent range (so basically not Aberdeen). You'd be better with an up to date synth rather than a vintage one in my opinion. If you have spare money, are a keyboard fanatic or looking for a specific sound then go for vintage but in terms of value for money there are more features on the modern options.

It all depends on how you want your project to work at the end of the day so probably best start narrowing down that idea so you aren't wasting money on the wrong toys. I like the look of the new Access Virus Snow, could be up your street and comes in under budget at about 750. It's got Midi, USB etc

VIRUS | TI SNOW

Along with other things I've been using a Virus Polar TI for the last year and it is amazing, seemingly limitless options and regular updates to its OS and fresh patches from various people for various styles of music. It also has the option to be used as plugin, as it has it's own memory powering it, takes the pressure off your computer.

Hope it goes well for you. Whatever you do, get something you'll enjoy playing.

I need some advice here... i basically have an idea in my head of how i want my new project to sound but no idea how to go about creating it.

It will be a mixture of lots of electro, lots of group vocals, lots of vocoded vocals, small amounts of screaming, and plenty of circuit bent gadgets plus un-unusual and unconventional percussion.

The only thing i really need help with is the synthesiser side of things... I can't make up my mind wether to go for modern, or vintage synth... and TBH have no clue about equiptment...

I want a 61 key controller, but apart from that i am unsure... the budget is around 1000 but for that i want something that will basically fulfill all my needs and be useable live and able to take a bit of abuse. What would you recomend i use? Rack mounted synthesisers and a midi keyboard?

Thanks a lot for the advice, and apologies if that makes no sense... i am a synth noob, and have never played anything more complex than a microKorg.

Guest davetherave

Synth stuff

Cant comment on the keyboard controller part as I play a Roland Guitar synth, but I've triggered loads of modules with this and would recommend any of the following (I still use the ones on this list, except the Kawai).

Korg Wavestation SR - or AD rackmount module, incredible range of unusual sounds.

Roland JV-1080 with the vintage and techno expansion cards installed

Roland MKS - 50 hard to find, but cool sounds.

Kawai K4R - unusual sounds, not your typical midi module.

Put any of these through a good multi fx unit to mangle the sounds further (I use a Roland GP16 and Roland RSP550).

All the above can be found on ebay within your budget?

Hope this helps?

Dave

access virus B ftw:D

its taken over my set up totally, microkorg never gets used at all anymore.

the vocoder is so good that we've decided to actually use it live too, and the usage of the external input for gating/pitchshifting external instruments like guitars is just....cool as.

best synth ever.

what sort of electro are you thinking ?

Sorry mate it can't be done with the sort of budget your talking ;(

But if you want to have a stab anyway, I'd suggest a serious look at the Arturia Collection

Arturia | | Intro

Should leave you enough left over for Ableton Live and a reasonable controller keyboard, although making the assumption that you have a suitably powerful and portable computer...

gratuitous link to my own meager synth collection compuphonic's Photos - MyBedroomStudio

Should leave you enough left over for Ableton Live and a reasonable controller keyboard, although making the assumption that you have a suitably powerful and portable computer

a decent sequencer is a must i guess, although i have to admit that i'm using cubase.

ableton just doesnt agree with me! it is very powerful though.

and your budget is only as good as what you can do with it.

Only suggested Live, as I find it better than Cubase/Logic/Pro Tools for gigging..

Although an MPC3000 would be better :love:

we'll be starting to gig next month, and yeah i'm doing fine so far with cubase.

how is ableton better? do you mean in terms of reliability, or otherwise?

I need some advice here

The only advice i can give Ross is to figure out the sounds you want your synth to make - the Virus range can do most things but i think they're more suited to dirty stuff, a'la NIN.

Nord synths are pretty cool, but for the most part are hideously overpriced considering what they do. Bands such as Muse use Nord synthesisers live, on record they use mainly Roland JP8000s.

for colon openbracket style stuff, there are a few VSTi plugins that emulate the whole 8-bit carry on.

explain more, my boy:D

JP 8000 is ace and you can pick one up for a reasonable price these days.

Go and try out some synths before you buy. I just put up a link to some stuff I wrote using the Virus TI (Polar rather than desktop but pretty much the same minus the number of keys) if you want to hear a basic idea of what it its capable of. Look at the Snow though and add a bunch of control keyboards or whatever suits and use it as a brain. Combined with a reasonable laptop and you'll be able to get the start of the sounds you are looking for. There are bunch of hardware synths with similar capabilities but take a look at the musicians and groups who use or have used Virus's as well as those who design patches Virus TI OS v2 ~ All the latest News (Info, Video, Patches) - Infekted.org - The ORIGINAL Unofficial Access Virus Forum . The TI takes a lot of processing power away from your computer and can be used along with all of the major sequencing software out there.

I sound like a rep but there is so much fun to be had!

how is ableton better? do you mean in terms of reliability, or otherwise?

Mostly for reacting to changes in your set on the fly.

If you intend to turn up, hit play and let your sequncer run from start to end, exactly as it always does then pretty much any sequencer cuts it.

Its also easier to quickly assign midi or key controllers on the fly, alternate between variations of a part etc etc.

I mostly use Logic for studio based work and transfer everything into Live for performance.

Just my preference, but also worth noting that every live electronic artist I've seen in the last 12 months has been running Live for same reasons.