aberdeen-music

[GIG] Caribou (Manitoba) + Born Ruffians (Warp/XL) @ The Tunnels

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow. Someone betta' kill me now cos it ain't gonna get any better than that!

APART FROM TOMORROW!

But srsly. One of the best gigs i've ever been to. Born Ruffians are pretty much the best pop band of the last 10 years. I thought they were amazing on records, but jeez hold me down cos live it was 384089503450 times better. Their singer / guitarist is one of those crazy talented people. What a voice! Had a wee chat with the drummer (he gave them a thumping eh!) and bassist at the end and they were pretty grounded / lovely guys despite being on an Orange advert. Bit of info for you - for the new record; same producer of Animal Collective's Sung Tongs. Makes perfect sense like, just listen to the "oh oh ah oohhh!" parts. Neato. Oh, and they're back in November apparently! Lets hope its the Tunnels and not the Moshulu. Caribou were other worldly. I'd have to spend a week in a dictionary to give a description any justice.

Oh, and the sound was impeccable tonight. Great job!

If i had to pick a downside; Girls Aloud down the bottom LEFT corner. I mean really, WTF was going on there? I know it's all about having fun, but they were completely off their face. It was quite a noisy crowd as well...that was slightly disappointing. Hopefully the STFU policy tomorrow night with work out. It really has to. (I also had sore feet at the end , but that's irrelevant really..).

P.S Did anyone else hear the heckle of "yaaaaassss miiiiin!! " at the end. Own up!?

That was ace.

Only caught the end of Born Ruffians' set, but Caribou were pretty much worth the tenner alone.

Deeecent.

I heard the heckle at the end, I think it came from the middle. I also hope the STFU policy tomorrow is enforced in a Facist Dictator-esque way.

...no-one in the bottom right corner was noisy. :( It was all front left!

Guest idol_wild

P.S Did anyone else hear the heckle of "yaaaaassss miiiiin!! " at the end. Own up!?

That would have been myself.

That was probably the best night of music I have ever witnessed in Aberdeen. Both acts were truly stunning.

The chattering crowd was a bit annoying, but it seemed as though Caribou just cranked up the volume immediately after the quiet parts where chatter was noticable. I liked it.

Oh, and they're back in November apparently! Lets hope its the Tunnels and not the Moshulu.

When I spoke to them afterwards I picked that up as they're coming back to the UK in November - nothing booked as yet...

But yeah, that was just a perfect night - in more ways than one. :love:

roll on part two!

Guest bluesxman

I just couldnt get into Born Ruffians, they were good musicians and all but just seemed to be playing variations of one idea. I think they reminded me of They Might Be Giants too much, never liked them either.

Caribou were great though, I wish their albums sounded like that. Pity the crowd became ridiculously noisy during the quiet number, forget its name

And Gatechien in the other room were just amazing, even better than when I saw them in Drummonds, that bass player is incredible. The drummer is of course none too shabby either.

really really good gig, best thing I've been to since akron/family. personally i didn't find the chating (noise levels) that bad at all, and I don't think the band would of even noticed or cared. people seem to have developed abit of a complex about this, ofcouse people are going to talk at gigs, they are drunk with thier friends and having a good time. maybe this was all brought on by the mogwia incident? and people are afaird other bands wont return to aberdeen, but gigs are the same everywhere.

Caribou were great though, I wish their albums sounded like that. Pity the crowd became ridiculously noisy during the quiet number, forget its name

I wish they had sounded more like their albums! I thought they started off great, but when they were at their loudest I just got bored. If they'd been any quieter they would have been drowned out by the chatter though. I know I'm being unrealistic to expect the nuances of the recorded music of course, but I don't really get a visceral thrill from live music.