aberdeen-music

The Zuu

Lemonade

Did anyone ever attend Moshulu before it became Moshulu when it was still known as The Zuu? They used to have the most legendary Sunday Nights in about 1998/1999 in there.... 10 entry and a free bar all night, you got issued one glass when you got in and you exchanged your empty glass at the bar for a drink of your choice. Then when you finished your drink you swapped that empty glass for another 1 drink. brilliant, except if you put your glass down while you went to the toilet somebody would swipe it so they could have 2 empty glasses and get 2 drinks at a time and they wouldn't give you another one!

They always used to have cheesey student dance records playing. I remember going once to see a live DJ set by Greigsy.... yes that twat from Northsound 1. The shame. The best part about the Zuu is that is was always totally packed with sluts. Sluts at the bar, sluts on the dancefloor, just sluts as far as the eye could see. You had to be a complete socially inept gargoyle not to get a trap in the Zuu. Loved it! :up::cheers:

My sister and brother law first met in there. Apparently it was a bit like liquid in a way. Didn't know anything about a free bar.

How did they afford a free bar?

They only did the free bar on a Sunday. When you think about it though, the tenner you paid at the door (10 years ago remember) although only getting you maybe 5 drinks at bar prices would have probably bought a 3litre bottle of vodka at the wholesale prices the bar are buying it at, so you weren't really drinking a tenner's worth of booze. Yeah they probably didn't make any profit off it but it got people in the club and it might have helped them make money other nights. I had some great nights in the Zuu. Mind you it was thef irst nightclub I went to when I first moved here from Fraserburgh so I would have been impressed with anything really.

It wasn't free, you paid a tenner.

I remember Zuu, it was a dump, really not that different to Moshulu except the music played.

I prefered Ministry personally.

I think the layout was similar though I seem to remember there being a wall between the bar and what is now the the comfy seats, and a load of booths. Also the DJ was really high up. Like there was like a huge DJ riser and he was about 20 foot in the air. I remember singing along to "I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester", which tells you what kind of club it was.

They only did the free bar on a Sunday. When you think about it though, the tenner you paid at the door (10 years ago remember) although only getting you maybe 5 drinks at bar prices would have probably bought a 3litre bottle of vodka at the wholesale prices the bar are buying it at, so you weren't really drinking a tenner's worth of booze. Yeah they probably didn't make any profit off it but it got people in the club and it might have helped them make money other nights. I had some great nights in the Zuu. Mind you it was thef irst nightclub I went to when I first moved here from Fraserburgh so I would have been impressed with anything really.

If memory serves there were never enough staff on so you ended up ten deep at the bar, thus preventing you from drinking too much.