aberdeen-music

How do you eat sardines and pilchards?

Guest Neutral

Guest Neutral

Do you eat them whole?

Just finished my first ever tin of sardines, got halfway through and had the thought that i never usually eat the heads and bones of animals which was quite off putting

In the end it tasted quite nice straight out of the tin, sardines in brine it were

It seems like a lost art, weren't sardines/pilchards a staple part of the diet decades ago? maybe that is why there were no neds

I keep them stocked in my cupboard in case of nuclear warfare with Johnny Foreigner.

It is indeed an acquired taste though, and t'children could use a lesson in Omega-3-rich Sardines vs Captain goddamn Birdseye.

Guest Neutral
i've never had em, do you actually eat them whole then? head, eyes and tail yea? not sure if i could do that. are they crunchy cause of the bones?

apparently you get headless ones, i ate them whole and you get used to the crunchiness after the first few mouthfulls

You get boneless ones but are missing out on the calcium content if you eat them

i've never had em, do you actually eat them whole then? head, eyes and tail yea? not sure if i could do that. are they crunchy cause of the bones?

As a man who's about to get hitched, you should definately consider this classic 'dad' foodstuff.

The bones are sort of crumbly, not crunchy. A bit like solidified clumps of sugar, without the sweetness.

Sweet Jesus, I love Sardines.

Guest Neutral
As a man who's about to get hitched, you should definately consider this classic 'dad' foodstuff.

The bones are sort of crumbly, not crunchy. A bit like solidified clumps of sugar, without the sweetness.

mans got the crunchiness description spot on

actually sounds quite good. might have to buy a tin and give it a whirl :)

bloody mary sardines on toast

mix sardines with ketchup, tabasco, worcestershire sauce, rougly mashing them all together. Season with lemon juice, celery salt and black pepper to taste. Spread hot toast with butter, pile on the sardine mixture and finish with a light sprinkling of vodka.

I'd like to see pubs serving stuff like this

This is one of the foods which kept prior generations healthy so I thought I'd give it a go

It's a shame you can't really buy them super-fresh here, one of my fondest food memories is having a plate of chargrilled sardines with salad and olives in harissa at a cafe in a tiny village in morocco.

I've seen "fresh" sardines in places like sainsbos fish counter, but they looked all dried out and unappetising, probably having been frozen and thawed out before being left to sit on the counter all day.

If you like oily fish, the coast is heaving with mackerel all summer, they are fun to catch and bbqed or hot smoked they are just like a big chunky sardine.

Guest Neutral

This is one of the foods which kept prior generations healthy so I thought I'd give it a go

I would like to see a return to the old eating habits and food manufacturing processes. Try to buy foods without added salt or sugar and see how easy it is

mackerel is one of the tastiest fish out there and also relatively cheap, I like to go fishing up north during the summer the water is much cleaner and all the produce is fresh something which is quite difficult to come by in aberdeen

Here's some mackerel I caught during an hour down the rocks between stonehaven and bervie last year, don't they look DELICIOUS? They were nice hot-smoked over oak chips, eaten hot straight off the bbq or the day after after being chilled in the fridge, whipped up with some handmade mayo. I love catching and eating fish so I'm all for sardines.

mackerel.jpg

Here's some mackerel I caught during an hour down the rocks between stonehaven and bervie last year, don't they look DELICIOUS? They were nice hot-smoked over oak chips, eaten hot straight off the bbq or the day after after being chilled in the fridge, whipped up with some handmade mayo. I love catching and eating fish so I'm all for sardines.

mackerel.jpg

fairplay, i like a bit of mackerel. sounds like a great way to eat em too. i well fancy some fish now.