aberdeen-music

FREE Aberdeen compilation CD to be released March 21st

It's been a year in the making but Granite City Records Volume 1 is finally going to be released. The CD will have an initial press run of 3000 featuring 16 great Aberdeen acts. The aim for this release is to simply bring more attention to the local music scene from Aberdeen and outside the city and money made from gigs will go towards getting more copies of this CD pressed. We want to get this CD in record shops across the country, get it on the radio and for it to be heard by everyone in the City.

The CD will be launched at Cafe Drummonds on Friday 21st March with live music from the following artists:

Eric Euan

Eskimo Blonde

Flaming Katy

The Snake Temple Kings

The Phoenix Band

9pm- 2am , 4 entry

18+

Plus FREE CDs all round :)

We hope to see many Aberdeen-Music users down to show their support for this project

• 2 weeks later...

This is great from the perspective of promoting Aberdeen bands and I really mean that, but why free?

Free=inferior its how people think when they get free music or films.

To manufacture 3000 CDs would have cost at least 1500 so I really dont think a charge of 2 quid to cover such costs would have Aberdonians running to the hills and with that money another CD could be financed and who knows maybe even make some profit to spend on one particular promising act.

However its great to see an Aberdeen label pressing such a quantity and promoting the local bands. But I cant see how any label can survive on such economics unless your eccentric very well off music lovers.

This is great from the perspective of promoting Aberdeen bands and I really mean that, but why free?

To manufacture 3000 CDs would have cost at least 1500 so I really dont think a charge of 2 quid to cover such costs would have Aberdonians running to the hills and with that money another CD could be financed and who knows maybe even make some profit to spend on one particular promising act.

However its great to see an Aberdeen label pressing such a quantity and promoting the local bands. But I cant see how any label can survive on such economics unless your eccentric very well off music lovers.

free makes it available to absolutely everyone and i believe they will be sent across the land far and wide for peoples listening pleasure.

for the benefit of those who weren't listening to the radio could someone post the tracklisting.

we have a track on it, i think were maybe the opening track?( how esteemed!!!) but i know we were played on the radio on sunday both original 106 and northsound

so already weve had a little bit of exposure from it

its a good idea with the best intentions and i believe kirk will also be handing them out at moshulu at the door of our gig (with kartta / right hand left / ten easy wishes ) on the 29th.

i hope something good comes of the cd as kirk etc have worked hard on it and all the best for it.

Still wondering who's on the CD.....

And the tracklisting is:

1. The Little Kicks - Don't Give Up So Easily

2. Eddison - Killer Scene

3. Fiction/Action - Missing Control

4. The Hijacks - Slow Down

5. 10 Easy Wishes - An Historic Event

6. Flaming Katy - A Shot at Glory

7. Eskimo Blonde - Smile

8. Lady Mercedes - Hey Lady Hey

9. Kartta - Henri Got Cancer

10. PVH - Outside is in the Morning

11. Escape to Victory - Escape to Victory

12. The Phoenix Band - The Saint and the Satan

13. The Snake Temple Kings - Where Did You Go?

14. Kitchen Cynics - Richard in Bedlam

15. Eric Euan - The Continent

16. Level Four - Furtherance

And the tracklisting is:

1. The Little Kicks - Don't Give Up So Easily

2. Eddison - Killer Scene

3. Fiction/Action - Missing Control

4. The Hijacks - Slow Down

5. 10 Easy Wishes - An Historic Event

6. Flaming Katy - A Shot at Glory

7. Eskimo Blonde - Smile

8. Lady Mercedes - Hey Lady Hey

9. Kartta - Henri Got Cancer

10. PVH - Outside is in the Morning

11. Escape to Victory - Escape to Victory

12. The Phoenix Band - The Saint and the Satan

13. The Snake Temple Kings - Where Did You Go?

14. Kitchen Cynics - Richard in Bedlam

15. Eric Euan - The Continent

16. Level Four - Furtherance

Fiction/Action. Cool. How was launch?

Haha, no we are certainly not well off, although probably eccentric. We received help from Aberdeen City Council with funding for the project so that were able to give them away free and money from the launch night covered all costs and left some more towards re-press.

For us, there was so many promising acts that we wanted to share with people in Aberdeen that obviously like music yet for one reason are unaware of and of course to people outside of Aberdeen. Already at least 5 bands from the compilation have benefited by receiving radio airplay from I believe 4 different stations and we hope that number will increase in the next couple of weeks too.

Because the CD is free, there is nothing to lose by people hearing it and the variety of bands will hopefully get people interested in other genres within the local scene too.

There is possible plans to work with individual bands releases but right now it is early days so we just want to push this as much as possible.

For those of you that weren't at the launch (and thanks to that were, it was a great night), the CD is currently available from Cafe Drummonds and we aim to get in many different shops, bars, venues etc within the city in the next week!

If you can only get a copy by paying to get into the launch night or subsequent gigs, it's not really 'free' as such is it? ?(

He did say it's in Drummonds and going to be in shops and pubs. So I imagine it'll be available in a walk in and pick it up capacity as well.

Guest bluesxman

Managed to get a copy in Drummonds yesterday, only had a cursory skip through most of it so far but putting aside the stuff Ive already got or been involved in (Fiction/Action, Kitchen Cynics, Kartta) the stand out tracks for me were The Phoenix Band and PVH. PVHs track reminded me a lot of Kling Klang. The Phoenix Band track just had a great hook that caught my ear, nice ska styled verse and cool laconic female vocal. Initially reminded me of Clinic for some reason. Whens their next gig, anyone know?