aberdeen-music

Is there an aberdeen-music Beat-em-up scene ?

>>RosS<<

Hi folks,

Just wondering how many people actively play beat-em-up games, and if so which?

I recall a fair few people yapping about Sf2 last time i used these forums, (over a year ago mind) anyone still big on that?

Hopefully we can gather up a enough people who play the same at a high enough level to perhaps make an evening of it.

Personally i consider myself competitive at SF2 and SC2. I also dabble a bit in Doa4, but i can't say im to keen on it.

On a similar note, anyone itching for the release of SF4 and SC4, gonna be a good year.

I don't have a 360 but I love beat em ups and occasionally play them online with MAME or other arcade emulators.

The main one I play is Street Fighter Alpha 3, but I also have a blast at King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, SFII, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Smash Bros.

A night of beat em ups would be an excellent idea. I loathe the fact that I was born in the generation after the booming arcade scene because I was too young to go to them :(

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I loathe the fact that I was born in the generation after the booming arcade scene because I was too young to go to them :(

Don't mean to rub salt, but they were indeed great days! Most Saturday afternoons were spent at Codona's with a tenner's worth of 20p coins going into machines like Double Dragon, P.O.W., Vigilante and Vendetta. I could complete Double Dragon with 40p once I'd sussed that cheeky elbow move on the big cunts you couldn't knee in the face.

These days I make do with Streets of Rage and Final Fight and any obscure Japanese scrollers Craig (Skull Commander) sticks on. Rushing Beat was an absolute corker.

:up:

I was down the "carnies" the other day with my lad hoping to show him some good video games. Apart from the abundance of shitty shoot em ups, and racing games, i couldn't find one arcade game! Crazy...

What's more, we settled on a few games of mario kart the arcade as its one of his faves at home..... SINCE WHEN after coming first in a racing game did you have to enter another quid to get the next level?!? What a gip! We found Crazy taxi the arcade and cracked on for ages at it for just 50p...must be the way the games are going.

I can vaguely remember the arcade days from my youth, but even by then it was dying... SF2 Alpha at the leisure centre was a good one...our youth club had a great NES arcade machine, all the NES classics, but it was a timed machine (the only benefit of which being you could reset the machine at anytime and pick another game, while your money kept ticking away), so you had to keep feeding in the coins, and you always got so far through track and field or simon's quest when some prick would hit the reset button.

VIGILANTE....that was a great game! Ditto the Double Dragon's...

I assume you guys have heard about Street Fighter IV?

Gametrailers.com - Street Fighter IV - AOU 2008 Amusement Expo Trailer

These days I make do with Streets of Rage and Final Fight and any obscure Japanese scrollers Craig (Skull Commander) sticks on. Rushing Beat was an absolute corker.

Ah' date=' Rushing Beat was released as Rival Turf! here I think. It is considered as having one of the worst front covers for a game ever:

[img']http://kidfenris.com/rivalturf.gif

The game is a complete ripoff of Final Fight.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
rivalturf.gif

The game is a complete ripoff of Final Fight.

Whoa! Never seen that before, bought my copy unboxed. Truly dreadful cover...

Nothing wrong with ripping off Final Fight. The perfect beat-em-up, for me, involves wrestling moves in your repertoire.

And Rival Turf has a touch of genius:

Angry mode!

Whoa! Never seen that before, bought my copy unboxed. Truly dreadful cover...

Nothing wrong with ripping off Final Fight. The perfect beat-em-up, for me, involves wrestling moves in your repertoire.

And Rival Turf has a touch of genius:

Angry mode!

I have just bought that game with the same box, so next time your over you can get a good laugh!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't kow about you guys, but i don't find playing beat-em-up's nearly as enjoyable as playing offline. If we get enough people up for it who agree ona game or two to play, we could set up something offline. Perhaps see about playing in cafe-lan or something.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to help me learn VF5 or just own me to feel good about themselves, look me up on gamertag C0rbul0.

Oh and roll on Street fighter 4, im almost as excited about that as i am Soul calibur 4, it's gonna be a nice year for beat em ups.

• 4 months later...
Don't mean to rub salt, but they were indeed great days! Most Saturday afternoons were spent at Codona's with a tenner's worth of 20p coins going into machines like Double Dragon, P.O.W., Vigilante and Vendetta. I could complete Double Dragon with 40p once I'd sussed that cheeky elbow move on the big cunts you couldn't knee in the face.

My parents used to have a Vigilante machine in the shop they ran for a wee while..can't remeber for the life of me what the other machines in the shop were, but Vigilante sticks out in my mind. I play it nowadays mind, and it's impossible :down: But the machines used to pay the rent on the shop alone, which tells you how much of a draw they were.

Rainbow Islands will always remain one of my favourite arcade games, along with Final Fight. I first completed Final Fight in Spain on holiday, and Haggar is still as mean as he always was ;)

I actually think the demise of the arcade game is the reason that so many arcades closed down or are now struggling nowadays (anyone visited Stonehaven's arcade recently? dearie me...) - no-one really wants to pay a pound for 3/4 minutes on a machine.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
My parents used to have a Vigilante machine in the shop they ran for a wee while..can't remeber for the life of me what the other machines in the shop were, but Vigilante sticks out in my mind. I play it nowadays mind, and it's impossible :down:

I seem to remember Vigilante being one of the easier ones of that ilk, most of them got killed with one hit. Assuming this is the one where "Madonna" got captured? The plot was always a tad basic in beat-em-ups: "Woman gets kidnapped, kick shit out of everything that moves until you get to the end".

Emphatically :up:

On SF 2, if you take E honda and make him do the rapid arm move thingy, it is basically impossible to counteract.

I'm sure some nerd will have devised some sort of method (you can almost get by it by doing Bison's sliding move) but it's bloody impossible to crack generally.

I used to be addicted to Street Fighter as a kid. Started to get back into SF2 through xbox live but nobody plays it.

On SF 2, if you take E honda and make him do the rapid arm move thingy, it is basically impossible to counteract.

I'm sure some nerd will have devised some sort of method (you can almost get by it by doing Bison's sliding move) but it's bloody impossible to crack generally.

I used to be addicted to Street Fighter as a kid. Started to get back into SF2 through xbox live but nobody plays it.

Every character has a move that beats it, normally standing or crouch jab, or a jump in timed right.

Ryu and ken can jab dragon punch it everytime for free etc.

However, it works a charm vs 99% of people online, i have so many angry mails in my inbox from people calling me a no skill noob cause I rolled them double perfect with honda it's not even funny.

Most people arent playing HF online atm due to the fact that SSF2T:HDR open beta is out, and it has by far the ebst netcode of any cmercially released fighter, it also looks awesome to boot! But having said that, playing beat em ups online is nothing compared to an offline rumble, so if you think you have game sign up in the other thread!

I actually think the demise of the arcade game is the reason that so many arcades closed down or are now struggling nowadays (anyone visited Stonehaven's arcade recently? dearie me...) - no-one really wants to pay a pound for 3/4 minutes on a machine.

Stonehaven arcade was the shit back in the day - Street Fighter II and Afterburner (I think it was, it was that huge fucking machine) aswell as Space Harrier with that moving seat thingy. Badass.