aberdeen-music

Amebix reform...

David Insurrection

Hey man. Yes I did know about this show, but ain't gonna go. Sure, while I do still listen to Sedition, and hey they were are great band and caught 'em twice, coz of my feelings regarding the scene, don't really wanna make the show. A worthy event, but would prefer I give it a miss. But hey, thanks for posting this nevertheless.

And Cress? Can't say they ever really grabbed me. Did play with 'em when they made it through here in I think 1998, and caught 'em again with Dropdead and John Holmes in Glasgow a short time later. Saw 'em with Doom and Quarantine too at The Tap in Edinburgh '97.

If my talking about eighties giants like Amebix and Hellbastard may appear to contradict my feelings re. the scene, I do make some distiction between the eighties anarcho commmunity, and the scene which it would later spawn. Find today's scene disappointing on so many levels... For example I think the bands of today could learn much from those of yesteryear regarding the pushing of musical boundaries, their linking with other music communities etc.

It's cool man. Hope ya enjoy the show. I do have one friend who is going, and who like yourself knew Dek.

And for those who don't know of the man, he was previously in Fife punk band Jap's Eye. Some folks may have ran in to him at the Death Mold/Anaeroba show at The East Neuk.

I do feel I should apologize regarding my remarks re. this show. Hoping no offence was caused. My remarks were regarding my feelings towards the scene. I meant no disrespect to Dek or his memory.

HELLBASTARD!!!!! listened to that very slab not too long ago. Natural Order... fucking class

Bazz

When Natural Order came around the band had all but abandoned their driving dirtier early sound. Stead we got a cleaned up and totally uninteresting trad metal release which frankly left me cold. Sorry, but I guess due to musical differences, we ain't gonna agree on this matter. But hey, each to their own and all that.

If folks would like to check out Scruff's earlier musical dabblings, then ya really gotta check out anarcho giants The Apostles. Visit the MySpace page dedicated to the band here: MySpace.com - THE APOSTLES - UK - Punk / Post punk / Industrial - www.myspace.com/pre1985apostles Brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...

Amebix reform

Crust/thrash legends AMEBIX have announced they have reformed with drummer Roy Mayorga (STONE SOUR, ex-SOULFY, NAUSEA) and have recorded studio material and video footage to be released with an upcoming DVD overlooking the band's history and the impact left behind by their legacy. The DVD will include original band interviews and live footage, as well as interviews with Jello Biafra (ex-DEAD KENNEDYS), NEUROSIS, and Max Cavalera (SOULFLY, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY, ex-SEPULTURA). Mayorga, who also produced and mixed the studio tracks, temporarily filled in behind the drumkit for SEPULTURA's 2006 European tour with IN FLAMES following Igor Cavalera's absence.

Rob "The Baron" Milller (AMEBIX vocalist/bassist) writes on his myspace: "The DVD is coming together really well, looking over the whole history of the band through interviews, etc. I thought a logical conclusion would be to show how all of us are still creating stuff in our own right, I also wanted to think about showing how strong the songs were, and got the idea to contact Stig about maybe jamming a couple of songs to see how it felt. I also had made contact with Roy so thought I would talk to him about this as Spider (original AMEBIX drummer) has Tinitus and is no longer able to play. I really didnt expect Roy to say 'yeah, in a heartbeat!', so that left me in the situation of having to put my money where my mouth was and book flights for everyone to meet up in Ireland last week at the DVD project base, to have a shot at making a video of some of the songs. My thinking was this: if its no good we will be honest and appraise it accordingly, no-one will ever need to know, and at least we had a shot. However, it was absolutely fucking MAD! Ten times better than the original versions: tighter, heavier, stronger. So what the hell to do? We are going to use this footage and tracks for extras on the DVD, probably doing the whole project DIY now, with a website set up for us to sell our own stuff through, trying to put screencaps and footage on there as the project comes along."

AMEBIX was formed in England during 1978 and are a band that many consider to have started the sub genre crust punk. The band first appeared on the first Crass Records 'Bullshit Detector' compilation LP followed by the release of several now highly-regarded releases. Their music was heavily influenced by Motrhead, Black Sabbath, Venom, and early Killing Joke and combined with an ethos and worldview akin to Crass, represented their non-traditional lifestyles. In 1985 the band met Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys and become the first UK signing to his label, Alternative Tentacles with the release of their 'Arise' LP. In 1987 the band signed to Heavy Metal Records for the album 'Monolith' though difficulties from the release led to the band eventually splitting. Such notable bands as Sepultura, Neurosis, Napalm Death, and Deviated Instinct have since paid homage to the band.

AMEBIX have also recently announce a reissue of their classic 1987 album 'Monolith' through Moshpit Tragedy Records as part of the label's sliding scale download series. The nine-song album is available from the label's website complete with a print-ready sleeve for as much or as little as each visitor chooses and is even being offered for free to those without a paypal account

MySpace.com - Amebix - ROB ENDORSED, DOCTOR APPROVED - Punk / Metal - www.myspace.com/amebixuk

MOSHPIT TRAGEDY RECORDS > Burning Down The Record Industry

And talking of classic eighties anarcho material, Overground Records will be releasing the first of two CDs by Legion Of Parasites May 5th. For more information visit Voiceprint Music - Release - OVER120VPCD And check 'em out on MySpace here: MySpace.com - Legion Of Parasites - Punk / Thrash / Metal - www.myspace.com/96719349

When Natural Order came around the band had all but abandoned their driving dirtier early sound. Stead we got a cleaned up and totally uninteresting trad metal release which frankly left me cold. Sorry, but I guess due to musical differences, we ain't gonna agree on this matter. But hey, each to their own and all that.

If folks would like to check out Scruff's earlier musical dabblings, then ya really gotta check out anarcho giants The Apostles. Visit the MySpace page dedicated to the band here: MySpace.com - THE APOSTLES - UK - Punk / Post punk / Industrial - www.myspace.com/pre1985apostles Brilliant.

Wow, thats amazingly bad! And hey, I love Academy 23 and Unit....reading Andy Martin's tales of the apostles is always very amusing, I think no one hated the band more than he did!

Wow, thats amazingly bad! And hey, I love Academy 23 and Unit....reading Andy Martin's tales of the apostles is always very amusing, I think no one hated the band more than he did!

I befriended Andy in I think 1991 or thereabouts. Had written to him regarding his writing a piece on The Apostles for a then proposed book. Great guy, and a more genuine fellow you couldn't hope to meet.

Regarding The Apostles' musical pieces? Indeed Andy was far from satisfied with their output and suggests that folks instead check out his more recent works which folks can do so here: MySpace.com - UNIT - East London, UK - Experimental / Rock / Other - www.myspace.com/unitunited But amazingly bad? I cannot disagree more. Alien Asian for example is a classic of the genre.

• 3 weeks later...
Crust/thrash legends AMEBIX have announced they have reformed with drummer Roy Mayorga (STONE SOUR, ex-SOULFY, NAUSEA) and have recorded studio material and video footage to be released with an upcoming DVD overlooking the band's history and the impact left behind by their legacy. The DVD will include original band interviews and live footage, as well as interviews with Jello Biafra (ex-DEAD KENNEDYS), NEUROSIS, and Max Cavalera (SOULFLY, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY, ex-SEPULTURA). Mayorga, who also produced and mixed the studio tracks, temporarily filled in behind the drumkit for SEPULTURA's 2006 European tour with IN FLAMES following Igor Cavalera's absence.

Rob "The Baron" Milller (AMEBIX vocalist/bassist) writes on his myspace: "The DVD is coming together really well, looking over the whole history of the band through interviews, etc. I thought a logical conclusion would be to show how all of us are still creating stuff in our own right, I also wanted to think about showing how strong the songs were, and got the idea to contact Stig about maybe jamming a couple of songs to see how it felt. I also had made contact with Roy so thought I would talk to him about this as Spider (original AMEBIX drummer) has Tinitus and is no longer able to play. I really didnt expect Roy to say 'yeah, in a heartbeat!', so that left me in the situation of having to put my money where my mouth was and book flights for everyone to meet up in Ireland last week at the DVD project base, to have a shot at making a video of some of the songs. My thinking was this: if its no good we will be honest and appraise it accordingly, no-one will ever need to know, and at least we had a shot. However, it was absolutely fucking MAD! Ten times better than the original versions: tighter, heavier, stronger. So what the hell to do? We are going to use this footage and tracks for extras on the DVD, probably doing the whole project DIY now, with a website set up for us to sell our own stuff through, trying to put screencaps and footage on there as the project comes along."

And folks can listen to two tracks from said DVD here: Amebix risen dvd All new web page too.