aberdeen-music

Ps3 Or Xbox?

Jim Stax

I'd vote neither. I had a 360 but i sold it; i prefer my dinosaur pc to that thing. How long has the PS3 been out? I'd guess the range of games will get better in the long run.

PS3 has been out a little over a year and as an interesting side it sold 1 million units quicker than the 360 (and also the PS2) in the UK.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 360 suffered from being unable to meet demand though which undoubtably prevented it from acheiving sales as quickly as the ps3 has.

That is true, but still the numbers don't lie. You could argue that the PS3 was facing an uphill struggle against an already established console with a large fanbase and draw of exclusive titles and lower prices though...

That is true, but still the numbers don't lie. You could argue that the PS3 was facing an uphill struggle against an already established console with a large fanbase and draw of exclusive titles and lower prices though...

i think the ps3 as cheap blu-ray player coupled with the large playstation fanbase has helped it along quite nicely. still a long way to go before it catches up with 360 though in terms of sales and games sold. looks like there's room for all 3 this generation though.

That is true, but still the numbers don't lie.

Don't Sony base the numbers on units shipped to retailers rather than units sold? Which prompts embarrassing moments like sony execs saying you couldn't find one on the shelf and penny arcade going into a load of shops taking pictures of unsold PS3s on the shelves.

i aintplayed the ps3 but I bought a 360 and I have to say I love it

ace combat, call of duty and pro evo = damage

So far, I have to say, that gaming doesn't get much better than COD4 online. :up: So my initial disgust at microsoft has softened somewhat now that Microsoft are going to fix my xbox as well as the cost of buying a wedge of games for the PS3 being a bad idea.

• 7 months later...

Much as I hate to rake up old debates, I now need to replace my PS2, and wondered where the expert opinion lies now? I'm looking to the future in HD, and tend to like the realistic COD type games. I also want something that won't be obsolete next month. But I'm no slave to trends. Point me to the sensible option, please. Do I go 360, or is the PS3 worth the extra?...

I own a 360 and am very happy with it, but have played my mates PS3 enough to have an almost non-biased view...

The PS3 is a sexy machine. and almost certainly better than the xbox (i even love the look of the ps3). You can customise the PS3 a lot more as its far more open to file-sharing sorta stuff than the 360. Streaming your computers media is pretty easy to do as well. Blu-ray if you've got an HD TV as well is still a huge point (no word on 360's blu-ray drive, won't hold my breath on that coming out any time soon)

The 360 in my opinion LOOKS better. I prefer the controllers despite having played with playstation controllers for a decade or so. Also, if you've got Vista then its simple enough to do the media streaming thing from your PC that the PS3 can do. The interface is pretty cool as well, although rigid and nowhere near as customisable as the PS3. I believe all Xbox's from last year have got a different processor or something like that making them sooooo much less likely to become faulty, so reliability issues when comparing the two consoles are irrellevant now. Plus even if you do get the Red Ring of Death things then there is that 3 year warranty.

At the end of the day, it'll come down to games. Xbox has a bigger selection due to being out longer. I also think, that the games I've seen run on both consoles, run better and look better on the 360 (GTA not included, slightly better on ps3) although thats splitting hairs and there is next to no difference. In terms of exlusives then again 360 has far more ones that are worth buying (Gears of War, Halo, few others that I can't think of right now) although PS3 has Metal Gear which is probably my favourite game of all time.

Reading this back, I guess its absolutely no help. It has to be said if your planning on playing online a lot than the 360 is the better option. If your looking for a all-in-one home entertainment system and money isn't really a factor then PS3 is the best choice.

I hate my PS3.

I own both (and a Wii but I got bored of it and gave it to my mum so she could play tennis) and my PS3 has sat completely unused for months.

Here are the reasons I would recommend a 360:

Achievements: Ok PS3 has trophies now but I dont know of a single game that supports them.

Even the worst games drag me back in to try and get those elusive few achievements.

No 20 minute installs: When I get a new game I want to play it right away not in 20 of the slowest minutes ever to pass in the history of man.

Nicer Home Page thingie: Nothing wrong with PS3s but I just prefer the 360s. I just hope they don't fuck it up with this next update.

Reasons to get a PS3:

You like large black bricks: It does look good but thats all.

MGS4: but only if you like watching games and not playing them

Guest treader.
Much as I hate to rake up old debates, I now need to replace my PS2, and wondered where the expert opinion lies now? I'm looking to the future in HD, and tend to like the realistic COD type games. I also want something that won't be obsolete next month. But I'm no slave to trends. Point me to the sensible option, please. Do I go 360, or is the PS3 worth the extra?...

get a 360. they are the future.

I own a 360 and am very happy with it, but have played my mates PS3 enough to have an almost non-biased view...

The PS3 is a sexy machine. and almost certainly better than the xbox (i even love the look of the ps3). You can customise the PS3 a lot more as its far more open to file-sharing sorta stuff than the 360. Streaming your computers media is pretty easy to do as well. Blu-ray if you've got an HD TV as well is still a huge point (no word on 360's blu-ray drive, won't hold my breath on that coming out any time soon)

The 360 in my opinion LOOKS better. I prefer the controllers despite having played with playstation controllers for a decade or so. Also, if you've got Vista then its simple enough to do the media streaming thing from your PC that the PS3 can do. The interface is pretty cool as well, although rigid and nowhere near as customisable as the PS3. I believe all Xbox's from last year have got a different processor or something like that making them sooooo much less likely to become faulty, so reliability issues when comparing the two consoles are irrellevant now. Plus even if you do get the Red Ring of Death things then there is that 3 year warranty.

At the end of the day, it'll come down to games. Xbox has a bigger selection due to being out longer. I also think, that the games I've seen run on both consoles, run better and look better on the 360 (GTA not included, slightly better on ps3) although thats splitting hairs and there is next to no difference. In terms of exlusives then again 360 has far more ones that are worth buying (Gears of War, Halo, few others that I can't think of right now) although PS3 has Metal Gear which is probably my favourite game of all time.

Reading this back, I guess its absolutely no help. It has to be said if your planning on playing online a lot than the 360 is the better option. If your looking for a all-in-one home entertainment system and money isn't really a factor then PS3 is the best choice.

So the PS3 is "almost certainly better" than the Xbox, yet you prefer the Xbox controllers and the games you've seen run on both consoles objectively run better on the Xbox, and the Xbox also has a better selection of games.

???

Baffled.

I have both and 360 is better, however it still has a major case of the gremlins thus why I can't play mine just now. Where as PS3 is solid as a rock and runs so much better than the Xbox.

If a game is released on both formats and it's not an online shooter I buy it on PS3 because I know it'll run no problem and not break. I have a madden game on both my Xbox and PS3 and the one on the PS3 is much better as it can handle the major loading required where as the Xbox tends to struggle and freeze on regular occasions.

Saying all that about the hardware though, Xbox does have a 3 year guarantee now. However this is only if you get the 3 red lights. Not anything else, that is only a year cover. So if your hard drive breaks (happened to a friend of mine) you have to pay, if you have an optical failure (happened to another friend) or if your CD drive breaks you have to pay. Like what happened to me and it's not particularly cheap.

So the PS3 is "almost certainly better" than the Xbox, yet you prefer the Xbox controllers and the games you've seen run on both consoles objectively run better on the Xbox, and the Xbox also has a better selection of games.

???

Baffled.

Well it is *technically* a more powerful machine is it? I don't know much about the technical aspect but it is isn't it? They just haven't really harnessed its full power (hence games running better on the Xbox). Sorry if I didn't make it clear as I was talking purely in the Specs aspect of the consoles, although I would've thought it was an easy assumption to come to given I did go onto say I preferred the Xbox.

!!!

Hope you're nae baffled nae more.

I'm a dedicated Nintendo fan so I guess I could give an unbiased view of the 360 and the PS3, having now played both (but not owning either). The PS3 does a lot technically, but as far as I'm concerned... I buy a games console to play games on, not to bullshit about on. At the end of the day, you're forking out a lot of money for a console that basically doesn't have that many exclusives and is more show than content. The 360 has a much larger selection of games and is a lot cheaper. I'd go with the 360 anyday.

That's all well and good if you only want to play games. The PS3 is a very good DVD upscaler, Blu Ray player and Multimedia streamer. I only have one system under my TV (other than my AV Amp) these days rather than 4 and can effortlessly stream wirelessly to my TV. I can also, using my PSP, stream wirelessly through to my other Amp in my bedroom.

There are a descent amount of exclusives for the PS3 and the games are as good as on the Xbox, which lacks quality control games-wise in my opinion. There are very few absolute stinkers on the PS3.

I don't play many games at all really, though when i do the PS3 more than caters for my Assassin's Creed/ Tiger Woods cravings.