aberdeen-music

Ps3 Or Xbox?

Jim Stax

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you won't get an unbiased comment. everyone will just tell you to get the ones they like.

to be honest though, both are good and you should pick it based on the exclusives available on each platform. you should be able to get your xbox replaced as i believe they have a two year warranty for certain faults. try taking it back to where you bought it from too and see if you can get an exchange.

alternatively, buy a wii.

Given my disgust at my xbox going 'sorry you can't use me coz I'm built badly' I thought I would sound out this forum in the hope of reading some unbiased thoughts on the battle of the console. If I have to fork out for a new family console then which would be money well spent?

Depends if you want it just for games or for other practical applications like Blu Ray etc?

I prefer the PS3 but my main reason for getting it was as an upgradeable Blu Ray player/DVD upscaler. There are some cracking games available and on the horizon too though. I love the wireless streaming through wifi (as standard) aspect of the PS3 and stream music and film direct from my external hard drive (linked to my BT homehub).

PS3 is not without small reliability problems as well, though not to the same extent as the 360 (Mainly Blu Ray drive failures).

They are also a cock load quieter than the 360 as well.

I think I give a pretty unbiased opinion, and I really find it difficult to recomend the PS3 as a gaming machine. If you want a cheap blu-ray player, then by all means get it, but there are hardly any decent format exclusives at the moment, and 99% of the multi platform titles are superior on the 360. Obviously the 360 is a really badly built machine, but you should be able to pick up a wider range of games at a more affordable price. Even some new releases are cheaper on 360 (recent example Devil May Cry 4).

Obviously there is the Wii as well, but as much as I like it, I see it more as a console to compliment either the PS3 or 360, with it not having a lot of the mainstream multi format games.

you won't get an unbiased comment. everyone will just tell you to get the ones they like.

to be honest though, both are good and you should pick it based on the exclusives available on each platform. you should be able to get your xbox replaced as i believe they have a two year warranty for certain faults. try taking it back to where you bought it from too and see if you can get an exchange.

alternatively, buy a wii.

Got a Wii ;)

PS3 is not without small reliability problems as well

Though, in the event of this happening, the sony technical help seem quite good, a friend of mine called up today with a dud blu-ray unit (he has the original euro 60gb which they dont make anymore), they've got a new one lined up and will be delivered by friday.

thought that was pretty good customer service.

I'm not going to wade too far into this topic as I bought my PS3 on launch day after months of saving and salivating and dont regret it one bit. If it were not such a derogatory remark to make, i would consider myself a fanboy.

The only thing the PS3 needs is more games (2008 should see to that).

I wouldn't mind some form of achievements system like the 360 too, but i think there's going to be something like that built into Home when it surfaces (getting 100% on Assassin's creed with not so much as a "well done" or "get a life" is still smarting :) )

Depends if you want it just for games or for other practical applications like Blu Ray etc?

I prefer the PS3 but my main reason for getting it was as an upgradeable Blu Ray player/DVD upscaler. There are some cracking games available and on the horizon too though. I love the wireless streaming through wifi (as standard) aspect of the PS3 and stream music and film direct from my external hard drive (linked to my BT homehub).

Also like the xbox you can link it upto your pc and play music and videos through it in proper high def.

An added bonus is that if you have a PSP, you can link it to your PS3 and remotely start and access the PS3 over the internet and watch videos and music from your computer on your PSP via your PS3.

Plus add the fact that Sony are releasing an adapter for the PS3 that lets you use it as a freeview box and a video recorder where as xbox lets you watch all the extra channels on BT Vision, but not freeview channels, if you use BT BRoadband.

should maybe just go for a different console in each room. I was always a Sony man and it took me a long time to jump to another format. I like the 360 but hearing about so many similar problems is causing be to doubt a continued relationship, I also pay microsoft for online and that grates a smidge. Given the 3 yr warranty it looks like I will get it replaced or fixed so problem solved, eventually. one thing to get a new console but a heck of a lot of money spent on games.

Be on the blower tomorrow to Mr Gates.

Have now upped my appetite for a PS3. I quite like the look of them, bit retroish...

I'm reading about crazy shot here i don't understand and it's ace. Gonna buy them all and then get in a mess of cables and them hate them all.

ta

xbox live is better than playstation network though which is why you pay for it. though home looks interesting but rumours abound that live will be getting a very large makeover this year.

personally i think the 360 is a better games machine. but now that blu-ray is the winner then if you're interested in watching hidef films then a ps3 is a great buy as a cheap blu-ray player. though i'd expect microsoft to announce a blu-ray add on this year. also many games apparently run faster on xbox and some ps3 games apparently take ages to install onto the hard drive whereas you just stick the game in and off you go on xbox, devil may cry 4 being an example but i've not seen this myself so could just be internet heresay.

Right now i'd vote ps3.

if only because i know us versions of rockband play on it...

not so with the 360. i have found this out the very very hard way.

bah.

or....hack your 360 and it'll play any region disc. not hard to do either. though the mods would get real pissed real quick if i linked info o nhow to do it again.

however, if you'd like to know more pm me.

the pirate strikes again.