aberdeen-music

Damm Cineworld

kirkt

I would actually go to the cinema to see films directed by people like werner herzog, andre tarkosvky, jean luc goddard, rainer fassbinder etc, but these films will never be shown in cinemas now because cinemas are in the business of peddling mindless hollywood shite to popcorn eating cretins.

Wrong. I saw Grizzly Man at the Belmont.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Beats me why anyone would want to go to the cinema anyway. As one chimp said, just have a bit of patience and wait for the DVD to come out. Last time I went to the cinema must have been a good 8-9 years ago, and I only went reluctantly to stop the bitch moaning. You can't beat watching a film in the peace of your own home. And, incidentally, it's a film, not a fucking "movie" as we're not in America. Anyway, in a cinema you have to put up with the sounds/smells of other people and their bastard brats, whereas in your own place you can eat what you like, smoke, and pause the film to go for a piss/get another tin from the fridge etc. No comparison, really.

:up:

I think it's so the can't smuggle booze in. But I've never understood the mentality of those guys chucking beer. It takes you about half an hour to queue up for a beer in the first place, then you pay about four quid for the privilege. And you're going to chuck it away?

Err, I think you/they have that one a bit of the wrong way round.

What they should be doing is buying the beer, drinking it & refilling the bottle when nature takes its course.

Then is the time to chuck! ;):D

Also remember that places like the exhibition centre are subject to a wider range of public licencing/H&S conditions & restrictions than a smaller venue & it is not unknown for certain acts to place extra conditions on their rider that can affect what goes in & out of the hall. Maybe because of past responsed to their crap performances?

Beats me why anyone would want to go to the cinema anyway. As one chimp said, just have a bit of patience and wait for the DVD to come out. Last time I went to the cinema must have been a good 8-9 years ago, and I only went reluctantly to stop the bitch moaning. You can't beat watching a film in the peace of your own home. And, incidentally, it's a film, not a fucking "movie" as we're not in America. Anyway, in a cinema you have to put up with the sounds/smells of other people and their bastard brats, whereas in your own place you can eat what you like, smoke, and pause the film to go for a piss/get another tin from the fridge etc. No comparison, really.

:up:

QFT, I think being able to watch a film in the background while you are working or whatever, being able to pause it, skip back if you missed a tiny detail and so on is actually quite empowering, films start to lose their mystique to some extent if you watch them in this way and you have a better chance to see them for what they are beyond the hype.

I haven't been to an actual cinema in maybe 10 years, but I've seen a lot of great films since then and I don't feel I've lost anything by avoiding the whole cinema-going experience, if anything it's increased my appreciation of film and allowed me to explore what is out there with impunity on the slightest whim - instead of paying for a ticket and sitting in a theatre with a bunch of plebs watching the latest hollywood blockbuster.

Guest Steven Dedalus
QFT, I think being able to watch a film in the background while you are working or whatever, being able to pause it, skip back if you missed a tiny detail and so on is actually quite empowering, films start to lose their mystique to some extent if you watch them in this way and you have a better chance to see them for what they are beyond the hype.

I haven't been to an actual cinema in maybe 10 years, but I've seen a lot of great films since then and I don't feel I've lost anything by avoiding the whole cinema-going experience, if anything it's increased my appreciation of film and allowed me to explore what is out there with impunity on the slightest whim - instead of paying for a ticket and sitting in a theatre with a bunch of plebs watching the latest hollywood blockbuster.

So basically, you're giving off about people causing hassle in the cinema, eating crisps and whatever, and complaining about the selection of films on offer, and the fact that we casn only apparently go to see 'hollywood blockbusters'......but you haven't been to a cinema in 10 years.

I really fail to see your problem.

It's like, I was in Largs about 15 years ago, and I thought it was rubbish. Should I still be complaining about that?

Get a grip, man! The 21st century has happened without your approval!

So basically, you're giving off about people causing hassle in the cinema, eating crisps and whatever, and complaining about the selection of films on offer, and the fact that we casn only apparently go to see 'hollywood blockbusters'......but you haven't been to a cinema in 10 years.

I really fail to see your problem.

Uhm, these are the reasons I don't go to the cinema, I don't live in a cultural vaccuum. I haven't bought a CD in 10 years either but I still listen to music and can criticise the way the industry works can't I?

As far as the 21st century goes, going to the cinema and buying CD's are fast becoming quaint archaic passtimes incase you hadn't noticed.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Uhm, these are the reasons I don't go to the cinema, I don't live in a cultural vaccuum. I haven't bought a CD in 10 years either but I still listen to music and can criticise the way the industry works can't I?

As far as the 21st century goes, going to the cinema and buying CD's are fast becoming quaint archaic passtimes incase you hadn't noticed.

Sir, you're an eejit.

Be quiet for a bit.

Agreed, but a trip to the cinema for me is a social event, something I am inclined to cling onto in a world that increasingly exists entirely upon flickering laptop screens.

I think it's less flickering laptops and more big HD plasma screens with surround sound that are eating into cinema ticket sales...

To most civilised people, I don't think the concept of "getting out of the house" involves paying money to sit in a squalid cinema and clap along to some moronic hollywood film with a couple of hundred sub-human proles.

Do you ever leave your squat Stripey?

Or do you even have a place to reside?

Or is that too corporate and sellout too?

I've never read such nonsense regarding everything in the entire world being 'shite', 'corporate' blah blah blah from one individual in my life.

Hero.

:finger:

Do you ever leave your squat Stripey?

Or do you even have a place to reside?

Or is that too corporate and sellout too?

I've never read such nonsense regarding everything in the entire world being 'shite', 'corporate' blah blah blah from one individual in my life.

Hero.

:finger:

Actually I'm a very "outdoorsy" person with a mortgage and car etc, not some kind of filthy hippie. Though I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring up such things in a thread about the cinema.

To most civilised people, I don't think the concept of "getting out of the house" involves paying money to sit in a squalid cinema and clap along to some moronic hollywood film with a couple of hundred sub-human proles.

Say I'm bored in the evening, I might go to the cinema with a friend; this bears no relation to my intellectual capacity, nor does it warrant accusations of cultural ignorance. The adoption, however, of a hard-line, exclusive stance against such a trivial activity seems to me like muddled priorities and wasted energy.

Guest Neutral

Only peasants go to the cinema

What is wrong with the people who buy food in packaging which makes a rustling noise

It has been over 10 years since I went to a cinema the majority of films are not worth the money.

Bring back local productions like Kes, Gregorys Girl, Local Hero and Whisky Galore

Bollywood films are much more enjoyable than most from America these days.

Bring back local productions like Kes, Gregorys Girl, Local Hero and Whisky Galore

Bollywood films are much more enjoyable than most from America these days.

Woah that is wierd, I actually watched Kes for the first time this afternoon! Absolutely brilliant film, it is worrying how the school in it at 1969 wasn't much different from my school in the early 90's. It is the first film in ages I've felt any sort of sense of emotional realism from. Ken Loach is great. I'm half way through watching Sweet Sixteen at the moment and gonna watch It's a Free Life later.

Like Stripey and Merry Christmas I too could leave my shoes and socks on, wear a pair of mittens and still have no problem counting the number of times I've been to the cinema in the last 10 years.

Apart from most films being shit my enjoyment of potentially good ones has been ruined by rustling, crunching etc etc.

I don't see why people need to eat in a cinema, most films are only about 90 mins long, you're in there for 2 hours tops, why is it hard to not eat for such a short amount of time?

As for the cinema being a social event? Before and after yeah, but during? You must be the fuckers that like sitting behind me on the few occasions I find myself there. Discuss your personal life somewhere else where I'm not paying for the privilege of hearing you instead of the dialogue.

I can't be bothered checking back to see who said that a movie/dinner date but with no time for dinner made it ok to eat in a cinema. Not much of a date that, sitting in silence watching a film, and if you didn't even have time to grab a sandwich/burger with me before or after the film I would NOT be putting out, so don't ask.

As for the cinema being a social event? Before and after yeah, but during? You must be the fuckers that like sitting behind me on the few occasions I find myself there. .

I don't mean lounging at the back clucking like hens throughout the film. Cinema provides mutual talking points, the feeling of having experienced something at the same time; the bother of organizing and meeting in the first place. Going out strictly on the pish all the time is tiresome so I'm inclined to utilise other means available to see friends. Hell, why not!

Apart from most films being shit my enjoyment of potentially good ones has been ruined by rustling, crunching etc etc.

I don't see why people need to eat in a cinema, most films are only about 90 mins long, you're in there for 2 hours tops, why is it hard to not eat for such a short amount of time?

As for the cinema being a social event? Before and after yeah, but during? You must be the fuckers that like sitting behind me on the few occasions I find myself there. Discuss your personal life somewhere else where I'm not paying for the privilege of hearing you instead of the dialogue.

I can't be bothered checking back to see who said that a movie/dinner date but with no time for dinner made it ok to eat in a cinema. Not much of a date that, sitting in silence watching a film, and if you didn't even have time to grab a sandwich/burger with me before or after the film I would NOT be putting out, so don't ask.

I actually generally enjoy going to the cinema, but I agree with a lot with this. Why exactly do people feel the need to eat at the cinema? Are you all fat bastards that can't stop eating for any extended period of time? Even if I, myself, were to eat a bag of crisps during a film I'd be annoyed by the noise, let alone becoming annoyed by other people doing the same thing. You've paid to see a film - so why not sit in silence and actually watch the damn thing? The talking about it is done in the pub afterwards - not during.