aberdeen-music

Damm Cineworld

kirkt

Guest Steven Dedalus
I'm surprised the fucker managed to get to the cinema without having a heart attack if he's the kind of person who can't sit quietly through a 2 hour film without eight packs of M&Ms, a multi-pack of crisps, a variety of sweets and two bottles of cherry cola.

That's quite funny, actually.

I doff my cap.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

And popcorn.

And drinks.

And sweets.

And talking.

And mobile phones.

And people who enjoy going to the cinema.

And people who go to see films that are popular, just becuase they're curious.

And people who go to the cinema.

And cinemas.

And any sort of enjoyment.

I like you, sir.

Your recent work editing the Daily Mail has been superb. With a bit of luck (and your help, of course) we can end all of this liberal 'fun' and get back to a joyless, totalitarian regime, where everything you don't like is banned.

Fnar fnar :laughing:

You can of course take drinks onto planes, when I flew down to London (to see Led Zeppelin :up: ) in December I walked on board with my cup of coffee from the coffee shop in the departure lounge. I could just have easily have walked on board with water/Coke/whatever purchased after I went through security, so I think you'll find that it is in fact your counter argument that is flawed, in every respect. ;)

But you have redeemed yourself with the second point, I'm diabetic and they wouldn't dare chuck me out for taking my glucose tablet sweetie things in with me. A bit harder to argue that you desperately need a tube of Pringles in case you go hypoglycemic though.

:laughing: I completely forgot to include the point that you can't bring liquids through security, so I accept defeat ;)

Do CineWorld not realise that by drawing attention to the person bringing in food, they'll just make people turn up with smuggled food on purpose, out of spite? I'm pretty sure a lot of arenas also enforce bans on outside-purchased food/drinks - the MEN Arena used to definitely enforce it back in the days of the Manchester Storm.

Of course, part of the problem is that Hollywood relies on films with ever-bigger budgets, no wonder the cinemas are forced into charging extortionate prices. The failure of EasyCinema is also an interesting footnote...

:laughing: I completely forgot to include the point that you can't bring liquids through security, so I accept defeat ;)

Do CineWorld not realise that by drawing attention to the person bringing in food, they'll just make people turn up with smuggled food on purpose, out of spite? I'm pretty sure a lot of arenas also enforce bans on outside-purchased food/drinks - the MEN Arena used to definitely enforce it back in the days of the Manchester Storm.

Of course, part of the problem is that Hollywood relies on films with ever-bigger budgets, no wonder the cinemas are forced into charging extortionate prices. The failure of EasyCinema is also an interesting footnote...

yea i wasn't allowed to take a bottle of oasis into the foo fighters gig at the exhibition centre. cause obviously it's the people on soft drinks that cause the problems and throw pints of beer everywhere at gigs right? :(

yea i wasn't allowed to take a bottle of oasis into the foo fighters gig at the exhibition centre. cause obviously it's the people on soft drinks that cause the problems and throw pints of beer everywhere at gigs right? :(

I think it's so the can't smuggle booze in. But I've never understood the mentality of those guys chucking beer. It takes you about half an hour to queue up for a beer in the first place, then you pay about four quid for the privilege. And you're going to chuck it away?

Personally I think cinema is on it's way out. It's getting increasingly expensive for a cinema ticket (about 7 each, 20-25 for a family of 4). And whereas in years gone by you had to wait months and months for a film to come out on video, the DVD is now rushed out like a month after it stops showing in the cinema. You can usually pick up a DVD of a brand new movie for about a tenner (or rent it for about 3), it's high quality, and with a whole heap of additional extras that you don't get in the cinema. Add to this the pleasure of enjoying it in your own home without being bothered by crisp rustlers / mobile phones / Stripey, I can understand why attendance numbers at cinemas are rapidly decreasing.

Guest Steven Dedalus
yea i wasn't allowed to take a bottle of oasis into the foo fighters gig at the exhibition centre. :(

To be fair, it's your own fault for going to see the Foo FIghters.

What were you thinking?

Maybe some people have a different perspective of "dinner and a movie" than the rest of us, or maybe they're on a tight schedule but still want to do both.

Personally I like to go to the cinema and eat crisps, chew ice cubes, phone my mates to tell them how good it is (they're sitting 3 rows behind me), make paper planes out of the tickets, try to hit the guy at the end of the row with the plane, pour drink into a glass I take along with me during quiet moments, text my mate to ask him to pass down some of his pick n mix, fart quietly then stare accusingly at the person next to me, fart loudly then laugh heartilly, put my feet on the chair in front, go to the toilet repeatedly but stop halfway along the row because something good's happening on screen then when I get back to the seat I remember I've already seen the film and loudly tell the person next to me how it ends, making sure everyone else around me can hear.

Hope to see you all in the cinema soon!

I read an article on the Guardian food blog once about someone who was sitting in the cinema when a couple arrived with a takeaway pizza and ate it throughout the film. The writer wasn't so annoyed that they took in the pizza, more that it made her want one 'cause of the smell.

I know of a "couple" that took at 12" pizza into the aberdeen (virgin) cinema, and everyone around groaned...as they all wanted a slice...

hoho..

Yep, Werner Herzog and Francis Ford Coppola are total minks.

Silly person.

I would actually go to the cinema to see films directed by people like werner herzog, andre tarkosvky, jean luc goddard, rainer fassbinder etc, but these films will never be shown in cinemas now because cinemas are in the business of peddling mindless hollywood shite to popcorn eating cretins.

I would actually go to the cinema to see films directed by people like werner herzog, andre tarkosvky, jean luc goddard, rainer fassbinder etc, but these films will never be shown in cinemas now because cinemas are in the business of peddling mindless hollywood shite to popcorn eating cretins.

Sadly without the American cheese there would be few cinemas open to show the good stuff on the rare occasion of it making an appearance.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Once again, Stripey is right, and everyone else is wrong.

If only I'd been able to see

I'm Not There

No Country For Old Men

The Assasination of Jesse James

Etc

Etc.

Cos obviously they don't exist and were never shown in any cinema ever.

Oh yeah! They were shown in the cinema, and you're just plain wrong!

How silly of me to forget.