aberdeen-music

Damm Cineworld

kirkt

This was on Yahoo news. I'm one of those people that always goes to Costcutter before going to the Vue and i'd be well annoyed if i got stuff confiscated...

Cinema's sweet-eating policy sucks?

Tue 19 Feb 11:44 AM

Enlarge Photo

A postman was thrown out of his local cinema when he was caught eating his own supply of sweets rather than those on sale in the foyer.

(Advertisement)

Adam Glennon, aged 26, had bought a ticket for sci-fi thriller Cloverfield at the Cineworld in Stockport when he was approached by a security guard demanding to know what was in Mr Glennon's bag. When he searched it and found sweets, drinks and Coca Cola, the customer was told unless he handed over the contents he wouldn't be allowed into the cinema. He refused.

"He was searching like he was a copper looking for a gun," Mr Glennon told the Manchester Evening News. "I was going red because I couldn't believe it.

"I've always taken in food and I've never had a problem. Money is tight at the moment and I begrudge paying the prices they charge."

Disgusted by the manner in which he was treated, Mr Glennon held an impromptu protest outside the cinema, giving away free sweets and his own price comparison leaflets. These revealed that he paid 5 for eight packs of M&Ms, a multi-pack of crisps, a variety of sweets and two bottles of cherry cola. If, however, he had bought them at the cinema, two tubes of Pringles alone would have set Mr Glennon back 4.80.

Said Luke Roberts, a spokesman for Cineworld: "Cineworld terms and conditions outline that all food consumed on the premises must be purchased at one of our concessions, which is in line with most cinema chain policies. We do offer a full refund if a customer chooses to leave."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time I actually took in a loaf and a packet of chicken roll and made sandwiches.

I read an article on the Guardian food blog once about someone who was sitting in the cinema when a couple arrived with a takeaway pizza and ate it throughout the film. The writer wasn't so annoyed that they took in the pizza, more that it made her want one 'cause of the smell.

i've taken sandwhiches and chocolate digestives before. surprised anyone ever got away with taking a full pizza in, those were normally turned away at ugc when i worked there.

incidentally the food directly subsidises cinema tickets, if it weren't for food you'd pay a tenner to go the cinema. but it's still incredibly overpriced.

incidentally the food directly subsidises cinema tickets, if it weren't for food you'd pay a tenner to go the cinema. but it's still incredibly overpriced.

Fair dos then. Why should fattys be subsidising the likes of Elwood opening up his own branch of Subway in row s? ;)

My wife slagged me off for bringing in a tube of Pringles with me, but 73p in Asda or 2.40 at Cineworld, there's no comparison.

Can't believe they've started searching bags. It'll be a body cavity search next.

Fair dos then. Why should fattys be subsidising the likes of Elwood opening up his own branch of Subway in row s? ;)

My wife slagged me off for bringing in a tube of Pringles with me, but 73p in Asda or 2.40 at Cineworld, there's no comparison.

Can't believe they've started searching bags. It'll be a body cavity search next.

it's a bit extreme searching bags. most cinemas seem pretty relaxed about it though. i openly take a bag of juice and sweets in with me everytime and no ones ever stopped me.

popcorns the big rip off, costs pennies for a huge bag of kernals. they even have cctv to stop staff from eating it.

and stay clear of the cheese sauce and the hot dogs. eurgh.

The prices are completely stupid, but the line has to be drawn somewhere I suppose. You wouldn't take a big mac into a restaurant after all.

You're going into a restauarnt to eat food though. You're going into a cinema to watch a film.

To take your argument to its logical conclusion, the next thing will be that we're not allowed to take our own food onto trains or planes.

As for not being allowed to take a guitar in, what a load of crap. Did they think you were going to start an impromptu jam session during Deuce Bigalow?

Seeing as I work in Cineworld I should probably get involved in this debate!

The prices are clearly mental, there's no doubt about that, and I do often feel really guilty having to charge people the prices. However, the people that come up with ridiculous amounts of food and then complain about the price deserve to be bankrupt anyway as they have come to the cinema to graze instead of watching a film. I am so sick of hearing 'HOW MUCH!' that I might kill someone during a shift. Look at the menu. You wouldn't go into a clothes shop and buy a pair of jeans without checking the price tag. If it's too much don't buy it, it's only 90 minutes, it's not hard.

On the topic of bringing stuff in, people still do take stuff in and it's generally not an issue. The problem is, they take this stuff in and don't take it out. It's bad enough having to clean the toilets and children's vomit for near enough minimum wage, I shouldn't be scraping Pepperoni off the seats. You wouldn't walk into a bar with a bottle of wine, or sit in a restaurant with some sandwiches from home.

If I didn't have to go through the living death of seeing drones of morons and their stupid kids walking through the door and sitting with sacks of Popcorn, chewing open-mouthed and watching shit Hollywood blockbusters, I wouldn't be bothered. I pretty much hate all the general public nowadays though.

Prices are shocking though ;)

Seeing as I work in Cineworld I should probably get involved in this debate!

The prices are clearly mental, there's no doubt about that, and I do often feel really guilty having to charge people the prices. However, the people that come up with ridiculous amounts of food and then complain about the price deserve to be bankrupt anyway as they have come to the cinema to graze instead of watching a film. I am so sick of hearing 'HOW MUCH!' that I might kill someone during a shift. Look at the menu. You wouldn't go into a clothes shop and buy a pair of jeans without checking the price tag. If it's too much don't buy it, it's only 90 minutes, it's not hard.

On the topic of bringing stuff in, people still do take stuff in and it's generally not an issue. The problem is, they take this stuff in and don't take it out. It's bad enough having to clean the toilets and children's vomit for near enough minimum wage, I shouldn't be scraping Pepperoni off the seats. You wouldn't walk into a bar with a bottle of wine, or sit in a restaurant with some sandwiches from home.

If I didn't have to go through the living death of seeing drones of morons and their stupid kids walking through the door and sitting with sacks of Popcorn, chewing open-mouthed and watching shit Hollywood blockbusters, I wouldn't be bothered. I pretty much hate all the general public nowadays though.

Prices are shocking though ;)

Wow you're starting to sound like one of those crazies that takes a handgun to school. :laughing:

:popcorn:I didn't even realise you weren't supposed to take food in! Does this apply to the Belmont too? ('Cos I usually come in with a large bag of maltesers...never had to hide them before).

I'm not a fan of Vue, nor whatever the big one at the beach is called just now...and this just reinforces my intention of only going to those places if I'm desperate (or needing a drink of petrol or rat's blood, of course!).:popcorn:

It's going that way. If you hear about a mass slaughter at Cineworld it'll be because one more dozy bastard has asked me for 'a drink'. What kind of fucking drink....Petrol? Rat's blood? Mountain Dew?

dude, leave! only job i've ever walked out of and i know i'm not the only one. i only got a job in ugc so i could see films for free and they wouldn't even let me do that till i'd been there for 3 months. worst job i've ever had for a variety of reasons.

get out while you still can!

To take your argument to its logical conclusion, the next thing will be that we're not allowed to take our own food onto trains or planes.

We're not allowed to take our own drinks onto planes, so your argument is a bit flawed in that respect. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to discover that if Ryanair could, they would stop people bringing their food/drinks onto planes too.

Anyway, the easiest way to take food into such places is simply to inform them that you have a medical condition that requires you access to whatever food you're carrying - would a duty manager really risk getting nailed under the DDA?

Disgusted by the manner in which he was treated, Mr Glennon held an impromptu protest outside the cinema, giving away free sweets and his own price comparison leaflets. These revealed that he paid 5 for eight packs of M&Ms, a multi-pack of crisps, a variety of sweets and two bottles of cherry cola. If, however, he had bought them at the cinema, two tubes of Pringles alone would have set Mr Glennon back 4.80.

People who eat crisps in a fucking cinema should be chucked out on principle anyway.

Guest Steven Dedalus
People who eat crisps in a fucking cinema should be chucked out on principle anyway.

Yes.

And popcorn.

And drinks.

And sweets.

And talking.

And mobile phones.

And people who enjoy going to the cinema.

And people who go to see films that are popular, just becuase they're curious.

And people who go to the cinema.

And cinemas.

And any sort of enjoyment.

I like you, sir.

Your recent work editing the Daily Mail has been superb. With a bit of luck (and your help, of course) we can end all of this liberal 'fun' and get back to a joyless, totalitarian regime, where everything you don't like is banned.

We're not allowed to take our own drinks onto planes, so your argument is a bit flawed in that respect. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to discover that if Ryanair could, they would stop people bringing their food/drinks onto planes too.

Anyway, the easiest way to take food into such places is simply to inform them that you have a medical condition that requires you access to whatever food you're carrying - would a duty manager really risk getting nailed under the DDA?

You can of course take drinks onto planes, when I flew down to London (to see Led Zeppelin :up: ) in December I walked on board with my cup of coffee from the coffee shop in the departure lounge. I could just have easily have walked on board with water/Coke/whatever purchased after I went through security, so I think you'll find that it is in fact your counter argument that is flawed, in every respect. ;)

But you have redeemed yourself with the second point, I'm diabetic and they wouldn't dare chuck me out for taking my glucose tablet sweetie things in with me. A bit harder to argue that you desperately need a tube of Pringles in case you go hypoglycemic though.

Your recent work editing the Daily Mail has been superb. With a bit of luck (and your help, of course) we can end all of this liberal 'fun' and get back to a joyless, totalitarian regime, where everything you don't like is banned.

I'm surprised the fucker managed to get to the cinema without having a heart attack if he's the kind of person who can't sit quietly through a 2 hour film without eight packs of M&Ms, a multi-pack of crisps, a variety of sweets and two bottles of cherry cola.