aberdeen-music

[GIG] imp + WAA present: Karine Polwart @ Woodend Barn, Banchory

offramp

interesting music promotions and Woodend Arts Association present

KARINE POLWART

Saturday 12th April

Woodend Barn, Burn O'Bennie, Banchory, AB31 5QA. Phone 01330 825431

Doors 8pm Tickets 14 / 12 concessions

Tickets available from One-Up, Aberdeen or in person at the Barn Office 01330 825431 or

http://www.thebooth.co.uk

http://www.woodendbarn.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

KARINE POLWART

You'd be forgiven for thinking that multiple BBC Folk Award winning songwriter, and new mum, Karine Polwart could do with putting her feet up for a while. Instead, a pregnant Polwart decided to record not one, but two very different and distinctive new solo albums for release on her own label imprint, Hegri Music. It was, she confesses, "the kind of crazy plan I'd never make now!" But the result is both This Earthly Spell (March 2008), ten trademark Polwart originals that muse upon mortality and technology, duplicity and delight, and Fairest Floo'er (December 2007), a stark and intimate collection of her favourite Scots trad songs.

Its been three years since Polwart scooped a trio of BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards, including Best Album for her debut Faultlines and Best Original Song, an accolade she won for a second time in 2007 - in the meantime, shes released two further solo albums, collaborated with the likes of Idlewilds Roddy Woomble and cult Glasgow indie outfit Future Pilot AKA, and recently performed at the opening show of Celtic Connections 2008 as part of the Common Ground ensemble. And she shows no sign of slowing down

More and more I feel like an album captures just a wee slice of time.* Im already working on new ideas and will be making new songs available through my website on a monthly basis this year for people whore interested. I think its more and more important now for songwriters like me to offer something more than just a static piece of work.

"grippingly understated storytelling" The Times

"beautifully formed tunes and observations that are not afraid of big questions and soft emotions" Irish Times

"righteous and beautiful" Mojo

"Polwart's skill is to make these deeply personal tales utterly universal" Time Out

"Fairest Floo'er" is as soul cleansing as an early morning ramble through the heather. And a lot less bother." Q

http://www.karinepolwart.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild
i'm very much looking forward to this. new album is rather good. i take it there is a bar at woodend barn? i have this idea in my head that it is actually just a barn with a stage sitting on top of haybales but i'm sure this isn't the case.

Tut tut. Steven Dedalus will be gutted you'll miss him at Cellar 35.

Guest idol_wild
Assuming he's not playing last, who else is on that night? I'll be driving so we could nip back into town for the end of the gig.

The fantastical Meursault will have their album launch. They are now a 4-piece.

One more act to be confirmed. I may also play solo, if need be. :down:

I shall post details in the appropriate place and egt posters done asap. Whoop.

Tut tut. Steven Dedalus will be gutted you'll miss him at Cellar 35.

nee naw nee naw hijack police

step away from the thread

:up:

anyhoo - more importantly, aye there is a bar at the barn

disclaimer: imp does not not advocate driving back from the Barn after prolonged use of the bar.X)

• 3 weeks later...

Karine Polwart in Burnsong on Tour @ Music Hall

Monday 12 May, Music hall

BURNSONG ON TOUR with Karine Polwart, Emma Pollock, Future Pilot AKA, Kim Edgar, MC Soom T and Michael Johnston. all one stage at the same time, how's that gonna work!? brilliantly is the answer..

A brilliant blend of musical styles and amazing songwriting talents: The Artists first came together in 2006 for a special 5 day retreat called the Song House, run by Burnsong. This one off tour offers you the chance to enjoy the lively, touching and heartfelt songs that this wonderful musical collaboration created. Burnsong was created with one aim in mind - to inspire a new era of songwriting in Scotland!

Burnsong is a national project dedicated to promoting, encouraging and nurturing songwriting in Scotland.