aberdeen-music

Jools Holland

KimyReizeger

How shit is Jools Holland's show? The music tonight ranged from an epic mutilation of an English folk song, the already overplayed Hot Chip, some insufferable loser in skinny jeans and the shockingly generic Sheryl Crow. Jools is just an annoying, gormless muso twat.

Christ, I almost forgot to mention the lamo jam session they do at the beginning. God that's lame.

Guest Steven Dedalus

I have never liked the jazz troll, and I never will.

I remember having a conversation with Rob back in the old Dedalus days, and I made him promise that if we ever became famous enough to be asked to play on Jools, we would refuse, just so that he could never "rinky-dink" over our music with his piano.

It's a moot point though, as we were never likely to be asked.

I still like Jools show. OK they have some shite on it sometimes but they do occasionally have the legitimate "Next Big Thing" and I enjoy the token roots / world music bands. Most mainstream media tend to stick to rock / pop etc. and I often hear soul or jazz singers on Jools that I normally wouldn't hear of. Agree he's a cunt though. He's such a brownnose in interviews it's embarrasing. See his one with Beck a few years for evidence of this.

yes i think most users of this messageboard all agree that holland is a cunt of the highest order (and a smug cunt at that) in fact he's in there with the premier league of smug cunts such as phil collins.

also agreed there is some decent stuff on it every show, quite liked the first hot chip song but the second was a bit shit.

and liza minnelli was just plain embarrasing -.

She's completely bizarre. And yes, Sheryl Crow hugging her was so contrived. The best thing I've ever seen on the show was KT Tunstall with a looping pedal and guitar before she was famous. Either that or 'Return of the Mack' by Mark Morrison.

Oh, and Radiohead last week were shit. Seriously.. people need to stop applauding this band.

The hilarious thing about that programme is that most of the bands/performers he gets on turn out to be utterly crap "live", with out of tune singers etc. I don't think it's anything like the old grey whistle test either, it's always just mundane pop bands of the moment and some rusty old duffers.

There are some shockers indeed, but also some good stuff too.

I've been turned onto some acts by that show I'd never otherwise heard of.

I don't mind some of the old has beens as long as they can still cut it. Better to be a has been than a never will be.

I quite liked Seasick Steve but I wonder how much of his image is carefully contrived.

She's completely bizarre. And yes, Sheryl Crow hugging her was so contrived. The best thing I've ever seen on the show was KT Tunstall with a looping pedal and guitar before she was famous. Either that or 'Return of the Mack' by Mark Morrison.

Oh, and Radiohead last week were shit. Seriously.. people need to stop applauding this band.

The best thing I've ever seen on it was Beck and his band playing the song Clap Hands using only an acoustic guitar and a breakfast table full of glasses, bowls, plates, spoons, forks, coffee cups etc. I love Beck.

I can't find it on Jools but here it is on another show:

Check out the solo starting at 1:30!

Steve Earle next week tho :up:

Excellent, glad I read this thread now.

I don'y mind Jools, saw his big band down at the Beach Ballroom when the Radio 2 thing was going on. Mind you, I just love anyone who can play boogie woogie piano.

I know he can come across as sycophantic, but I honestly think a lot of that is just him being over enthusiastic. Don't watch Later though, unless somebody I like is on. Last one I saw had Paul Simon and David Gilmour on. They made The Streets look a bit crap.

I quite liked Seasick Steve but I wonder how much of his image is carefully contrived.

We played with him in Inverness last year and I can assure you he is 100% genuine. We sat for ages just listening to his stories. Top top bloke.

Was that the twentyish looking chap on last night? I almost had to turn the telly off..

Nope. This is him -

I never really watched it a lot.

I do like it though. The Radiohead/Feist show was amazing, but purely for those acts and it was a shock to see Jacob Golden on yesterday...

...but, aye, s'nae bad likes.

Yes I agree, and it was a surprise about how good Feist was. Very diverse sound and looks very promising.

I would rather have Jools show with his and it's faults than nothing of ity's nature. There is very few music shows on terrestrial TV except for the acres of mediocre traditional stuff which seems to be on now. It's time they cut back that as it's very samey.

To be honest i think the show's pretty decent, however, it does seem that the shit outweighs the not shit. Though i have to say that on the show i dont mind mister holland either. Despite coming off as a self righteous knob half the time.

What was his old band called again? Was it Squeeze or something?

Yes, he was in Squeeze who were quite good at the time.