aberdeen-music

Whos Your Daddy? And What Does He Do?

Aaron_Robertson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's surely not that bad?

I spend my days barking orders, updating security groups on servers and fixing faults ;(

I actually like it in a sort of sick way. I'll be changing in the next week though. Still haven't picked which job to go for. I have the decision to go down the techie route or the management route.

I'm still in my honeymoon period, so it's hard to tell whether or not I'm going to enjoy it. I've have to deal with the horrors of reading up about chemical legislations today...

If you go down the management route it does give you more opportunity to bark orders :p

I have no specific skill and have did lots things here and there including turnip picker, doorman, night shift industrial grinder operator, games designer, server support, lifeguard and currently working in IT in Aberdeen in the oil industry though at a pretty crappy level doing inane bits and pieces till someone finds out I know nothing.

It's surely not that bad?

I spend my days barking orders, updating security groups on servers and fixing faults ;(

I actually like it in a sort of sick way. I'll be changing in the next week though. Still haven't picked which job to go for. I have the decision to go down the techie route or the management route.

Come to Senergy, you know you want to :D

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Is anyone here doing their dream job?

The dream is surely not to have to work at all, but I'm lucky in that my job is something I enjoy doing. Basically, I help to rehouse people on their release from prison. I help them set up home, fill out benefit forms, source furniture, help them paint/decorate, that type of thing. 4 days a week of 9-5, cracking pay, and sometimes weekend overtime if I feel like it. It's rewarding in the non-financial sense too, it's good to see someone turn their life around for the better.

Sometimes it involves working with sex offenders, and I get a twisted kick out of building up a good working relationship with the most reviled people in society. I love it when people who have kids ask me what I do for a living...

:up:

Is anyone here doing their dream job?

Although not strictly 'making art' as a career working in arts admin, and project managing for an Arts consultancy ranks a very very close second. As well as being the Grampian Adviser for this crew >> - Cultural Enterprise Office Home Page - << (seemed easier to give a link than try to explain)

So I am pretty fucking close to doing a dream job. If I had known what was possible through an art post-grad coupled with running a music venue then I suppose I am in dream positions, other than being affa minted and surrounded by lovely people (women)

Plugging away in an arts studio whilst recording music and playing and promoting (good) gigs is/was the dream. I get to indulge these though so no complaints :up:

I am also a Joiner but that slipped out of the list some time ago. Hit my thumb far too many times mid winter on a building site, nae fine aat like!

i'm a rope access tech/insulation engineer(to trade)/scaffold apprentice at the minute. One of these multi-disciplined jobs offshore. Working on the BP Clair.

I enjoy it :) Good money, Loads of time off (4 weeks paid hols too this year), Good banter, Very varied, All training provided by BP and very physically rewarding - i think...

Not the job of my dreams, but i never dreamt of working so hey ho! :)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I hate your clients with a passion a few years ago one of them attacked an elderly woman in her own house in Torry and she died a few weeks later of a heart attack we still feel the piece of scum that beat her brought on her attack

Ifs, buts and maybes. And it's not one of my clients, I started work here in April.

But aye, that's justifiable grounds for hating everyone who's ever been through the system.

I hate generalising cunts with a passion.

:up: