aberdeen-music

Whos Your Daddy? And What Does He Do?

Aaron_Robertson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neutral
This makes me want to stick on Kindergarten Cop.

4th year med student, so as of August 1st 2009 (provided all goes to plan): doctor.

Did you lot have a med student party on monday?

Guest idol_wild
Business Studies Teaching?

Lord knows there needs to be more guys in our job.

Not at all. Primary teaching.

My degree is in History of Art and Film Studies, which isn't specific enough for any secondary subject, sadly.

I was thinking that myself.....

To be fair, the pay is hideous.

"Boo-hoo", one might feel inclined to say...

Actually, you're doing my dream job, you cad. I studied journalism at college and then at Uni but had to drop out due to financial difficulties. Tho I'm in a reasonably well paid job now but it bores the arse off me.

Bloody hell' date=' not you as well. Sorry to hear that.[/quote']
Barfly in mass staff layoffs?

No, no, "restructuring of the management team" ;)

I've taken a Supervisors position over redundancy for the time being. Quite gutted tho.

As it stands Jimmy will be the only familiar face still in any form of power behind the bar.

Ho-hum.

Is anyone here doing their dream job?

Not a million miles off, to be honest: dealing with people (and businesses) who are more skint than me and being sequestrated/going into administration/liquidation etc gives me a macabre-schadenfreud-esque sense of amusement.

Especially first thing on a Monday morning.

In Stonehaven.

:up:

Guest Steven Dedalus
How did you get into journalism? Pretty much where I want to go.. please tell me its not a long trail of coffee-making and suspicious 'favours'! ;)

The long and the short of it is - chance and coincidence.

I happened to be in the right place and the right time on two seperate occasions, and it has led me into my current career.

1. There is a training scheme called CSV over here (not sure if it's in Scotland...) and you have to be unemployed for six months to get on it (it's part of the new deal programme). I'd been unemployed for two weeks after packing up and leaving Aberdeen, and they were impressed by my enthusiasm, and rushed be onto the scheme, and now I work for the BBC in radio production and journalism.

2. Belfast has it's own media infastructure, and a magazine editor became aware of my love of Scott Walker and got me to review "The Drift", just to see what I'd make of it. He was impressed by how I reacted to the challenge - it's not an easy album to listen to - and I've been working for the magazine for two years. If you know me at all, you won't be surprised to know that new bands are rarely offered to me, but I am the king of classic albums/history lessons-style features. Because I am a bore.

I'll warn you though: there's not a lot of money in it, and the life of a freelancer can be feast or famine.

But when it's good - best job in the world.

Guest Steven Dedalus

I don't actually present a show, but I do reports for various programmes (mainly arts based).

Part of the beauty of my position is that I get to work accross such a wide spectrum of topics that it always stays interesting.

I do arts and culture, religion and ethics, consumer affairs, and classical music.

The student radio and newspaper are very good bets, and you'll get loads of good experience, but the only thing to bear in mind is that 'proper' radio stations and newspapers will have their own way of doing things, and frequently look down upon student organisations. So it's important to be able to get the monst out of all the various situations, but be prepared to alter your working methods at the drop of a hat.

(ie. Know how to interview someone and turn it into a useful article/radio feature, rather than know how to turn in what a STUDENT publication wants, if you know what I mean. When I first started, I had to quickly come to terms with the fact that most of what I'd been taught in my training course wasn't applicable, and that I was expected to work in a different way. Luckily, I'd picked up the basic principles and was able to apply it to the appropriate situation).

The best advice I can give is to keep finding ways of enjoying it, and to work across as wide a spectrum of subjects as possible, just so you don't get stuck in one style all the time.

Good luck!

By the way, for anyone who's interested, here's a link to the programme I generally work for. It's a daily arts and culture magazine show, and even though it's predominantly Northern Irish based, we always manage to get big names - Henry Rollins, Nick Cave, The Wedding Present, Sigur Ros, Pete Seeger, etc.

BBC iPlayer - Radio