aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Journals and local music

Chris

interesting reading all this. the papers have always been pretty poor covering local music but its not something i'd get too het up about meself!

radio is a different matter though and things have significantly improved in the granite city since the launch of two new FM stations in the city in the last few months.

andrew's show on original is excellent and is a good length (4 hours) and SHMU FM where i work is very accomodating towards local bands and at the moment we're doing a bit of a push in that department.

tbh listening to that new little kicks song has really ignited my passion for the local music scene and now i'm back in a position to promote such stuff i'm really wanting to do it.

we have a number of shows that already will play local bands such as uls (tuesday 10-midnight), MOIN (thursday 8-10 PM) and Brian Scott (Friday 2-4 PM) as well as playing stuff on the breakfast show (mon-fri 7-9 PM). we played the little kicks this morning as well as a local singer/songwriter (whose name eludes me but he has a self produced album in one up!!).

at the moment i'm presenting me own show on monday nights which is a bit of a trip down memory lane (alternative 80's/90's) but i'm soon to change the format so i can play a wider variety of stuff including local bands and new music.

so get us your demos which you can send to

Del Franklin

SHMU FM

Station House

Woodside

Aberdeen

AB24 2WB

or you can e mail tunes to del@shmu.org.uk or even direct us to your my space page we can play them on air if they're of decent quality!!!

over and out!

I always think of you as a friend!!

*gives Bigsby a bosie*

Back to Aberdeen Journals......i'm with Chris & Dave in that I DO read the events bits to see who's playing, and I used to enjoy the columns (like Del's) about the local music scene. I'd be quite happy to see Erotic Fire covered as an 'up & coming act' (!) alongside interviews with established bands and touring acts. It'd be nice to see reviews of local releases/venues/DJs etc covering a wide variety of musical styles.

And how about a feature on 'promoter of the month'?

Or 'Sounding off with Sound engineers'....seriously...it'd be good to have tips from the likes of soundian/Jenni etc etc

you should work for the UN.

"jist put down that machete, lets talk about the Microphones difficult 2nd LP"

you and Bono, in a helicopter, ready to go anywhere in the world at amoments notice..........

Sounds OK, so long as I can have my Dons scarf flown along in first class (and so long as 'anywhere in the world' goes no further than Stonehaven, Ellon or Alford)

* and I'd also need to be able to shove Bono out, from altitude*

he worries about his wieght apparently, so i reckon he'd make a big dent in ethiopia.

i cant make my mind up about Bono, i mean it's obvious he's a cunt, but he means well and he's a top singer...

• 5 months later...
Flicking through the Evening Express just now and I spotted the following quarter page article (with large photo) in the middle of it:

this is aberdeen - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

Now aside from the fact that they have one of the worst band names I've ever heard, how in the fuck can this be considered news worthy? A local band, who have only played 1 gig so far (and "filled the dancefloor" because it was their first gig, like every band does. You'd have to be truly shit for your family and friends not to go to your first gig), recruit a schoolboy drummer and it makes it into the news?

Which member of the band works for Aberdeen Journals and wrote the article?

Fuck's sake, they even put it in the P&J as well:

this is north scotland - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

What a joke.

They ignore local music except for the odd gig listing and when they do mention a local band it's pish like this.

LMAO just read this post today, and ironically Chris' signature is now advertising a gig that 1864 in Art are playing in...

LMAO just read this post today, and ironically Chris' signature is now advertising a gig that 1864 in Art are playing in...

o_O

Er...

Why is it ironic that I'm advertising my own band?

The post you quoted was linking to articles about Erotic Fire.

o_O

Er...

Why is it ironic that I'm advertising my own band?

The post you quoted was linking to articles about Erotic Fire.

Oops I just read this post by Frosty:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/moorings-bar/49749-would-you-like-see-any-these-bands-play-bar-4.html

Clicked on the link, and got completely the wrong end of the stick doh!

I'm (even) less on the ball now than when I was drinking :(

For anyone attempting to follow this tangled web... err don't.

Clicked on the link, and got completely the wrong end of the stick doh!

Nevermind wrong end, I think you got the wrong stick. Aside from my aforementioned signature, 1864 weren't even mentioned in Frosty's post or this thread of mine that you quoted.

Ah well.

Nevermind wrong end, I think you got the wrong stick. Aside from my aforementioned signature, 1864 weren't even mentioned in Frosty's post or this thread of mine that you quoted.

Ah well.

When I clicked on the link, the first post that appeared was yours with a big 1864 in Art picture and I put 2 + 2 together and... well... honest mistake.

Ah well.

You could connect the fact that you said "A local band, who have only played 1 gig so far (and "filled the dancefloor" because it was their first gig, like every band does. You'd have to be truly shit for your family and friends not to go to your first gig)," and the fact that you are advertising your first gig in your signature.

So..... expecting much family and friends? :popcorn::up:

So..... expecting much family and friends? :popcorn::up:

Actually I re-read that post earlier today and the thought did cross my mind "shit, I bet no-one turns up on Saturday after I said that".

Doesn't help that all my mates are going to be at a BBQ in the country they'd arranged for the same day. Bastards.

Actually I re-read that post earlier today and the thought did cross my mind "shit, I bet no-one turns up on Saturday after I said that".

Doesn't help that all my mates are going to be at a BBQ in the country they'd arranged for the same day. Bastards.

I had a small but hardcore following for the first Cobra Kai gig. Though I forgot to tell anyone about the second one.... whoops. Which explains why we only took 2 people (my girfriend and Steve's wife).

Anyway I would like to come and see you, but I'm totally stoney broke, plus I get the keys to my new flat that day so I might be a little busy.

I had a small but hardcore following for the first Cobra Kai gig. Though I forgot to tell anyone about the second one.... whoops. Which explains why we only took 2 people (my girfriend and Steve's wife).

Anyway I would like to come and see you, but I'm totally stoney broke, plus I get the keys to my new flat that day so I might be a little busy.

Our gig is free at Cellar 35 - Aug 16th 9pm - if you fancy it ;)

(i fear a backlash haha)

I used to get The Evening Express but due to the high amunts of inaccuracies stopped reading it and The Gaudie years ago .The P & J is a ain in the arse so I rely on Fudge anzine for all my local news. They tell it like it is, and it's great for the illiterate illegitamate scum that read it because there's loads of nice pictures of bands and groovy drawings sent in by their deranged fanclub .A bit like this -

Belladrumfestival2008groovydrawing.jpg, only better , cheers Biz .

Guest idol_wild
I don't think so ,but your guess is as good as mine, these things tend to be done in a very " relaxed " state of mind in some ill lit bar.

Ha. I think it was you - it was done very much in a similar style to the sketches posted above. Either way, the sketch was appreciated massively. :D