aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Journals and local music

Chris

on a slightly different note:

did anybody see the full page photoshopped image yesterday of the multistory blocks down the beach? they'd taken a photo, turned the buildings black, and put a turquoise band round the middle of them. they looked fuckin horrible.

so the EE used a FULL page to print their crappy picture, and talked about how much of an improvment their crazy, hideous black building would make to aberdeen's architecture, yadda yadda, and then tried to sell prints of it down at the bottom!

a page! a whole page? anybody think that was news worthy in any sense at all?

included with the auction is the intellectual property rights and the patents for 2/3 vinyl care technologies/ideas. could be quite valuable and would have thought somebody/somewhere might have privately bid for them

Ahh I get it, you're replying to the wrong thread...

did anybody see the full page photoshopped image yesterday of the multistory blocks down the beach? they'd taken a photo, turned the buildings black, and put a turquoise band round the middle of them. they looked fuckin horrible.

so the EE used a FULL page to print their crappy picture, and talked about how much of an improvment their crazy, hideous black building would make to aberdeen's architecture, yadda yadda, and then tried to sell prints of it down at the bottom!

It is hilarious how shit their photoshop monkey is.

To be fair that kind of problem was happening long before Barfly got involved in Moshulu, and it's not the only venue in town that doesn't exactly shout about it's gigs from the rooftops.

This is true, but the other venues are 'in town' so its easier to see whats going on. Moshulu... nobody walks past it, so even if there were posters on the door on in Bassment's windows it wouldn't make a difference. Thats all.

To take your 'shouting from the rooftops' literally... maybe that's a good idea. Could be amusing and people would probably stop and take note... Promotion should be creative and not just the usual poster in the chippy!

This is true, but the other venues are 'in town' so its easier to see whats going on. Moshulu... nobody walks past it, so even if there were posters on the door on in Bassment's windows it wouldn't make a difference. Thats all.

except to the guy who'd said that walking past the place didn't tell him what was on in Moshulu...errr....yeah, no difference.

is it true that the guitar player in erotic fire is arthur c. clarke?, famed six string maestro and child buggerer, i feel that's the angle the p+j was going at. Just because one of the senior editorial team is prone to visiting thailand as one of them there "sex tourists" ( i read this in a chipshop in Elgin, in a paper called "reasons not to let your child work at the journals)" page 6, paragraph 88. there is no excuse for promoting a child molester based band. Its horrible, and morally corrupt. Its just too fucked up, anyway the fist song on their my space " aya! that stings" is not only shit musically but also lyrically.

i had no idea the granite city guide folded, i have to say i didnae notice.

stop erotic fire now, before they move from children to animals!

(sign my petition here)

http://www.stoperoticfirefuckinganimalsnow.com

actually the music scene in Aberdeen is so good its a wonder that BBC news dont do a week long special on it.

ye spastics/

Brian reads the p+J!

Brian reads the EE.

leave the city!

you are banished!

The fact is that Aberdeen Journals are a steaming pile of provincial shite. They have no journalists who have any idea about a local music scene, and they don't particularly care either. They don't cover music per se, they only do stories of local interest. If you contact them and simply say 'hey my band are playing a gig in xxxx' - they will almost certainly ignore it completely because there is no story.... They always always need to have an angle. Doesn't matter how fantastic your band is, you can not expect them to print anything about you because Bert & Irene Normal from Seaton don't care so neither do they. But if you contact them and say 'hey we're playing a gig in xxxx, and we're raising money because our guitarist has only one kidney and no hands' then you're in.

gig = don't care

angle = article

qv. Estrella.

total sense.

you're bands shit though. for the same reasons you outlined regarding the P + J.

no hard feelings though, thats obviously just my personal opinion.

Despite Soundian's gigantic chubby over my lack of business ethic, I'm going to continue playing guitar, forever the ego-fuelled fat-wristed, tortured artist.

Hey everyone, give me your money! I'm better than you!

ians been playing the same record for about ten years. He just does "sound", ignore him. He's a bass player as well apparently- which explains a lot. I imagine him in 50 years time, huddled round a table in drummonds wittering on and on about how bands booked to play a shitty venue should bother thier arse to do a promoters job just because the promoter cant be arsed......

I used to think Ian could make a difference, you know a mere twiddle of a fader pot could make a performance sound great, then one night playing with sidca the pert twins slipped him a whisky and gave him " special" instructions, so with Ian on side we played- and it still sounded shit. go figure.

He knows his shit though, i learned a lot off his article on eq-ing stuff.

obviously this is just my personal opinion.

i'm mostly right though, it has to be said.

yawn.

aye, and whit dis "fat wristed" mean, i dinnae get it? is that fluid retention because you're nae running about putting flyers out and about?

aye, and whit dis "fat wristed" mean, i dinnae get it? is that fluid retention because you're nae running about putting flyers out and about?

Haha no... I just wank a lot over my own music. Because it's better than girls even.

I agree that Ian's made some fairly good points, somewhat spoiled by him getting out of bed on the wrong side.

Haha no... I just wank a lot over my own music. Because it's better than girls even.

I agree that Ian's made some fairly good points, somewhat spoiled by him getting out of bed on the wrong side.

what you should dae is book a gig at drummonds, dinnae bother to flyer or contact the press or radio- because you've spent all day finely tuning your "musician furiously wanks" act. I'd love to see Ian deciding which mic to use on someones cock, dynamic or condenser...or perhaps both..

I agree with soundian.

It is genuinely skilled people such as sound engineers, producers, mastering engineers, studio technicians etc that do all the work so that deluded adolescent wankers can indulge their schoolboy fantasies of being a rockstar. I don't envy promoters in having to peddle such wankery to the general public.

"It's all about having a laugh". No it isn't, it's all about you wanting the world handed to you on a plate because you believe the fact you have some moderate competence in playing a musical instrument that you and your band of merry twats are the next pink floyd.

I agree with soundian.

It is genuinely skilled people such as sound engineers, producers, mastering engineers, studio technicians etc that do all the work so that deluded adolescent wankers can indulge their schoolboy fantasies of being a rockstar. I don't envy promoters in having to peddle such wankery to the general public.

"It's all about having a laugh". No it isn't, it's all about you wanting the world handed to you on a plate because you believe the fact you have some moderate competence in playing a musical instrument that you and your band of merry twats are the next pink floyd.

you agree with him up untill you play a gig he's doing the sound, then no doubt like the entire staff of the tunnels you would get a huff up and consign them all to the archives of the " totally unproffesional".

I allways assumed you were a schooll kid stripey.

you have a really funny attitude by the way.

dont join the fuck fest till you've popped yr. cherry

I'm totally dumbing this down and probably ruining the thread for everyone but I just enjoy playing guitar along with other musicians. I like writing stuff and playing it live to other people. If they enjoy it - great for them! If not, oh well,not so great for them! I do!

If we get noticed - great! If not, oh well! I'm still gonna enjoy what I'm doing.

It's not a mission to be the best thing ever or be more heard than anyone else for me, I just enjoy playing to people and it's a bonus if they like it.

:up:

Note: my ramblings were probably not worth your reading time, so if you please, just disregard them completely :D

Guest Steven Dedalus
I agree with soundian.

You're funny, sir.

But I think you've inadvertently solved the 'problem':

Music is pointless and awful, and no-one should ever want to listen to it or play it, and it should probably be banned or something.

Thanks for that.

Now go back under the bridge where you belong.

Does that include me?

Actually, I'm more of an accquaintance. Carry on, nothing to see here.

I always think of you as a friend!!

*gives Bigsby a bosie*

Back to Aberdeen Journals......i'm with Chris & Dave in that I DO read the events bits to see who's playing, and I used to enjoy the columns (like Del's) about the local music scene. I'd be quite happy to see Erotic Fire covered as an 'up & coming act' (!) alongside interviews with established bands and touring acts. It'd be nice to see reviews of local releases/venues/DJs etc covering a wide variety of musical styles.

And how about a feature on 'promoter of the month'?

Or 'Sounding off with Sound engineers'....seriously...it'd be good to have tips from the likes of soundian/Jenni etc etc

Dream over;(