aberdeen-music

Vampire Weekend

Swingin' Ryan

I was a bit suspect of this band to begin with, mainly due to all the 'internet hype' and the fact they are quite clearly posh, Ivy League kids, but they're brilliant. I can't stop listening to them, I'm yet to hear the whole album though, will it dissapoint me?

It's great to hear something so original done with such a simple 4-piece set up. They sound like an Indie-Pop version of Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

I also like the fact that instead of trying to hide their poshness by roughing themselves up like The Kooks, they actually wear boat shoes and sweater vests. They've obviously got a bit of a sense of humour about how much of an issue has been made about their background.

Here's them on Letterman for all who may be interested.

YouTube - Vampire Weekend A-Punk

I was a bit suspect of this band to begin with, mainly due to all the 'internet hype' and the fact they are quite clearly posh, Ivy League kids, but they're brilliant. I can't stop listening to them, I'm yet to hear the whole album though, will it dissapoint me?

It's great to hear something so original done with such a simple 4-piece set up. They sound like an Indie-Pop version of Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

I also like the fact that instead of trying to hide their poshness by roughing themselves up like The Kooks, they actually wear boat shoes and sweater vests. They've obviously got a bit of a sense of humour about how much of an issue has been made about their background.

Here's them on Letterman for all who may be interested.

YouTube - Vampire Weekend A-Punk

i think the album is great, really consistent.

two thumps up

:up::up:

''It's great to hear something so original''

ERR IS IT FUCK! Paul Simon's Graceland anyone?

It's not JUST the African music element that makes them original.

I think it's a bit easy to say it's not original because there's another Western artists who have done African Pop influenced music. There are more people than Paul Simon who have made African influenced music! That's like saying the Arcade Fire aren't original because The Left Banke were influenced by baroque string arrangements aswell.

The stuff on Graceland has a much more prevalent and noticable African Pop influence, with the African backing choirs and everything. Vampire Weekend are more straight-up modern Indie-Pop with Ska influences aswell as the African influences.

Also to clarify my original post, I didn't mean I didn't think I'd like them because they were from a well-off background, I was just concerned they might be from the Lily Allen and Jack Penate mould of rich kids trying to pretend they are gritty and urban.