aberdeen-music

Amy Winehouse

Stripey

go listen to "there is no greater love"...do it!....then come back and say she's talentless...

ah, taste...can't like jazz, fair enough!

The thing that bothers me about people like winehouse, is that she isn't a jazz singer or a soul singer. She's a person pretending to be aretha franklin or billie holliday, she's an actress, not an artist.

She needs to be put into a room with Britney and shot. She's butt ugly, got no talent (writes her own songs my arse, not that they are good in the first place) and her voice is terrible and irritating (no, just because it's "different" doesn't mean it is good)

she should be shot because she's butt ugly? that's harsh o_O i don't see how it's got any relation to how good her (great) voice is either.

IMHO....

Amy Winehouse has been ruined by the media.

I agree that she wouldn't be half as famous if she wasn't so fucked up.

Im sure that she has the ability to appeal to the masses who have moved on from Keane.

Seriously, I don't dig her music. However, I do think that she has a decent voice but...it doesn't matter...she will be dead soon.

Funny how the tabloids hardly ever talk about her music. Yes, they got it right. I always want to open the paper to read about how fucked up Amy Winehouse is.:rolleyes:

... does anyone else just not really give a shit?

She's a pretty good singer from what I've heard of her music. Good, but not the best. I'm quite willing to discuss her musical qualities/deficiencies, because she's a singer and that's what she does.

So she's addicted to crack. So are thousands of other people in this country. I don't really see why I should feel particularly sympathetic towards her. From what I've seen/heard, she's a right state at the moment, but why should I care about her situation more than about anyone else's plight?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Steven Dedalus
The thing that bothers me about people like winehouse, is that she isn't a jazz singer or a soul singer. She's a person pretending to be aretha franklin or billie holliday, she's an actress, not an artist.

I actually sort of agree with you.

It all feels like a pose, an act.

I remember seeing her on some BBC concert thing, and her backing band were all dressed up in black suits and sunglasses, and the sound was really thin and weedy, etc.

It came across as being about as authentic as the Blues Brothers.

(and before anyone has a go, I know that the Blues brothers band was more or less Booker T and the MGs in all but name. And I like the Blues Brothers...)

For me, it's a show, a performance. I don't think it's real, and she's sort of pretending to do it.

And she pretended a bit too much, and has ruined herself because of it.

Guest bluesxman
I actually sort of agree with you.

It all feels like a pose, an act.

I remember seeing her on some BBC concert thing, and her backing band were all dressed up in black suits and sunglasses, and the sound was really thin and weedy, etc.

It came across as being about as authentic as the Blues Brothers.

(and before anyone has a go, I know that the Blues brothers band was more or less Booker T and the MGs in all but name. And I like the Blues Brothers...)

For me, it's a show, a performance. I don't think it's real, and she's sort of pretending to do it.

And she pretended a bit too much, and has ruined herself because of it.

Her backing band are a well respected soul/R'n'B outfit, there was an article about them in Mojo or summat the other month. So I don't think they are all a pose, it's what they do.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Her backing band are a well respected soul/R'n'B outfit, there was an article about them in Mojo or summat the other month. So I don't think they are all a pose, it's what they do.

I know, but they're 'soulful' in the sense that Sade was 'soulful'.

Ie. They're not.

It's al;l style and no substance, and the fact that they wore little Blues Brother's suits to make it more 'classic' says it all for me.

They're nae bad, like. But it's better when they don't pretend to be Motown.

Guest bluesxman
Anyway, isn't Amy Winehouse's backing band the Dap-Kings, as in Sharon Jones' band? If so, believe me, they are the real deal.

Yes, that's them, couldn't remember the name.

Steven for a journalistic type you don't have much impartiality ;)

Guest Steven Dedalus
Yes, that's them, couldn't remember the name.

Steven for a journalistic type you don't have much impartiality ;)

That's what makes me so brilliant, so explosive!

I just shoot my mouth off and stuff comes out, most of it ill-thought through.

(If indeed it was thought through at all...)

Anyway...

I know the Blues Brothers did Stax! I was just using Motown cos it's more Winehouse's bag....

And I know who the Dap Kings are (although I didn't know that was them backing her up....), but it still doesn't ring true for me. It's as authentic as Phil Collins doing "You Can't Hurry Love", and I believe he was wearing a Blues Brother's style suit in the video for that...

Yes, Winehouse has a good voice. Yes, some of the songs are really entertaining (Not to me personally, but I completely see the appeal).

But I stll see it as being an act, rather than the real deal.

Please don't ask me to clarify what the 'real deal' means. Just have a guess, and you may be right.

That's what makes me so brilliant, so explosive!

I just shoot my mouth off and stuff comes out, most of it ill-thought through.

(If indeed it was thought through at all...)

Anyway...

I know the Blues Brothers did Stax! I was just using Motown cos it's more Winehouse's bag....

And I know who the Dap Kings are (although I didn't know that was them backing her up....), but it still doesn't ring true for me. It's as authentic as Phil Collins doing "You Can't Hurry Love", and I believe he was wearing a Blues Brother's style suit in the video for that...

Yes, Winehouse has a good voice. Yes, some of the songs are really entertaining (Not to me personally, but I completely see the appeal).

Please don't ask me to clarify what the 'real deal' means. Just have a guess, and you may be right.

no really, what does the 'real deal' actually mean? o_O

Yeah i can see your point. Only too often when i see some of these new 'soul' singers on tv, the first words that come to mind are "fake jazz".

You often get on tv shows like the X factor, Sinatra wannabes and so on. It seems that a lot of music is about reenacting eras of the past that are now deemed "cool". When i see these people perform, it just doesn't feel genuine to me.

But you know, if thats what people want to be entertained by. . .

Yeah i can see your point. Only too often when i see some of these new 'soul' singers on tv, the first words that come to mind are "fake jazz".

You often get on tv shows like the X factor, Sinatra wannabes and so on. It seems that a lot of music is about reenacting eras of the past that are now deemed "cool". When i see these people perform, it just doesn't feel genuine to me.

But you know, if thats what people want to be entertained by. . .

listen to her first album; there's nothing 'fake' about the jazz on it

Amy Winehouse is just another graduate from the Brit School, just like Kate Nash, Lilly Allen and the rest.

She could just as easily have ended up in Eastenders or in Casualty as been a singer. They take them when they graduate and mould them into whatever they want them to be. Much cheaper and more efficient than paying out for an a & r department and developing an existing act, who may get a bit lippy and demand to be treated seriously.

If you care and want to know who "the next big thing" will be, buy The Stage and read the classifieds at the back. If you see an ad that says, " Female singer, 18-22, bubbly, outgoing. Wanted for musical project." there's the next Lilly Winehouse or Kate Allen or whatever their equity name happens to be. I wonder if you can place bets on it?

Oh, and make sure you're aware of the difference between the entertainment industry and the music industry. If you aren't, you'll end up going, "She/he's shite, How can people buy that drivel/that's so invalid/not cool/insipid pop shite/god I can't stand James Blunt/wankwankwank/I don't believe anyone can like that even though she/he has sold 40 million records and cracked the states/etc/etc/etc!!!"

Then you'll drive yourself insane with, the unfairness of it all/why can't I sell 40 million records/all I need is a chance/I can write better than that/fucking emo wank, dilemma and die.

• 2 weeks later...