aberdeen-music

Amy Winehouse

Stripey

it's not my fault that ya got hooked on her crappy fake, white, tesco soul music and now you're greeting because she's going to kill herself through self abuse - a controversial act which is sure to get some sort of reaction, like the british public hailing her as a tragic genius.

sorry, but the only thing she has going for her is that she is a white person marketable to dad-rockers who "wouldn't normally listen to that sort of thing", that sort of thing being music identical to that which was being released and done better 40 years ago. i'm sick of this influx of 'soulful' rich white girls. why would you want to listen to this over the real thing?

hey Tam,

I hope to god you don't listen to some third rate white boy pastiche of punk, "rock n roll" or whatever crap that's punted out as original these days.

I always have a chuckle at people that spout off stuff about Winehouse's music...

how the fuck would anyone know if she's "real" or not...

if she sings the music she loves, who's to stop her? who's to say that she's disingenuous?

you don't like her, or her music, fair enough, but to think you all have the fucking corner on the market of "what's right and wrong in making music" is fucking laughable.

pile on top.

unless...of course....you are all fantastic, well respected musicians and producers with a "john peel like" appreciation for ALL TYPES OF MUSIC....

....tumble weeds...

nope...didn't think so.

A new low, look at this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLkgiF1WX8Y&hl=en

If you listen carefully at 4.28 she replaces the words "Free Nelson Mandela" with "Free Blakey My Fella".

Yes, because your scumbag husband can of course be compared to Mandela.

Well Nelson Mandela is already free. So why not change the lyrics to make them a bit more current?

well she did go to stage school along with the likes of lily allen, to be taught how to become a performing monkey. You know, the british equivalent of the Mickey Mouse club in america that produced such "real artists" as britney spears, justin timberlake and christina aguilera...

well she did go to stage school along with the likes of lily allen, to be taught how to become a performing monkey. You know, the british equivalent of the Mickey Mouse club in america that produced such "real artists" as britney spears, justin timberlake and christina aguilera...

Going to stage school doesn't automatically make someone "fake", you can go to stage school and still be just as passionate about music as any other artist. Agreed they do produce a lot of pop by numbers bullshit, (such as the three you've listed), but it's a pretty sweeping statement to claim that everyone who went to stage school isn't a real artist. But why is it such a crime nowadays to listen to music by people that haven't come up through working men's clubs circuits and spent years touring in transit vans? "Paying Their Dues" as someone put it earlier. Is it such a bad thing to listen to music because it's actually good?

I've never really liked her at all. Might be due to me thinking she was a female Jamie Cullum with her first album, and a female Pete Doherty more recently, so she never stood much of a chance. I can see why people say she is talented and has a great voice, but in the same way people think Steve Vai is great guitarist. I can't deny that, but I just don't enjoy the music either of them make at all.

Well Nelson Mandela is already free. So why not change the lyrics to make them a bit more current?

Are you actually being serious?o_O

Guest Tam o' Shantie
hey Tam,

I hope to god you don't listen to some third rate white boy pastiche of punk, "rock n roll" or whatever crap that's punted out as original these days.

I always have a chuckle at people that spout off stuff about Winehouse's music...

if she sings the music she loves, who's to stop her? who's to say that she's disingenuous?

you don't like her, or her music, fair enough, but to think you all have the fucking corner on the market of "what's right and wrong in making music" is fucking laughable.

pile on top.

unless...of course....you are all fantastic, well respected musicians and producers with a "john peel like" appreciation for ALL TYPES OF MUSIC....

....tumble weeds...

nope...didn't think so.

yeah you're right, i'm sick of these white dudes ripping off the rich black punk sounds of the late 70s and 80s.

i didn't state that she wasn't real, she's just one of an increasing market of young, rich white londoners (mostly girls) who seem to be making big headlines by doing nothing more than covering black music from 40 years ago, or singing songs written by songwriters who are ripping this shit off. might i also add that anybody with any affiliation to mark ronson is an utter cunt. that includes being mark ronson.

all of these people are white, and rich. i have limited respect for any musician whose fame is a result of being rich or well connected (oops, that means everyone).

as stripey says, all these people went to stage school for rich kids, most of them go to the same rich kid schools...have a look at bedales allumni

Bedales School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and ya might see some familiar faces. What's that, amazing indie band the kooks actually all had parents who could afford to spend 20+ grand a year sending them to an exclusive secondary school where they rubbed shoulders with other millionaires from age 13? oh well, that couldn't possibly have any bearing on their success as musicians. lily allan also went to this school, amy winehouse went to the same school as the guitarist for shitty tesco rock band The Feeling, and S-Club 7's Rachel Stevens.

as for coffee shop music for people with no interest in any authentic soul, blues or funk records from days gone by, really ask yourself how many middle class mums have bought joss stone or jamie cullum's shitty white albums in tesco and put it in their cd collection along with the greats? probably about 3 or 4.

and i resent any logic that requires for me to be a radio DJ such as john peel, or a world class musician or performer to form an opinion of another band. i could be the most talentless hack in the world (no really, I could be, I'm still waiting for the results to come back from NASA) but i still have a right to have the most damning opinion of any artist in this entire planet.

yeah you're right, i'm sick of these white dudes ripping off the rich black punk sounds of the late 70s and 80s.

i didn't state that she wasn't real, she's just one of an increasing market of young, rich white londoners (mostly girls) who seem to be making big headlines by doing nothing more than covering black music from 40 years ago, or singing songs written by songwriters who are ripping this shit off. might i also add that anybody with any affiliation to mark ronson is an utter cunt. that includes being mark ronson.

all of these people are white, and rich. i have limited respect for any musician whose fame is a result of being rich or well connected (oops, that means everyone).

as stripey says, all these people went to stage school for rich kids, most of them go to the same rich kid schools...have a look at bedales allumni

Bedales School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and ya might see some familiar faces. What's that, amazing indie band the kooks actually all had parents who could afford to spend 20+ grand a year sending them to an exclusive secondary school where they rubbed shoulders with other millionaires from age 13? oh well, that couldn't possibly have any bearing on their success as musicians. lily allan also went to this school, amy winehouse went to the same school as the guitarist for shitty tesco rock band The Feeling, and S-Club 7's Rachel Stevens.

as for coffee shop music for people with no interest in any authentic soul, blues or funk records from days gone by, really ask yourself how many middle class mums have bought joss stone or jamie cullum's shitty white albums in tesco and put it in their cd collection along with the greats? probably about 3 or 4.

and i resent any logic that requires for me to be a radio DJ such as john peel, or a world class musician or performer to form an opinion of another band. i could be the most talentless hack in the world (no really, I could be, I'm still waiting for the results to come back from NASA) but i still have a right to have the most damning opinion of any artist in this entire planet.

so you don't like her music then?

ps...I said "john peel LIKE".

Just out of interest, did john peel play a lot of manufactured mainstream pop music? Was he keen on the spice girls and so on?

no...didn't think so.

He liked the Quo, does that count?

and sheena easton.

I liked the fact that Peel played Stripey's music all the time....

oh, hold on...he didn't, that must mean he thouhght he was shit too?

I love people who know what other people think - even when they are dead. amazing.

I liked the fact that Peel played Stripey's music all the time....

oh, hold on...he didn't, that must mean he thouhght he was shit too?

Actually he played loads of stuff I liked, a highlight of which was FSOL doing one of the first live shows streamed over the internet on his show...

anyway if you are seriously suggesting john peel would have loved amy winehouse, jamie cullum and james blunt etc, personally I think you're quite wrong.

I love people who know what other people think - even when they are dead. amazing.

oh, the irony.

Actually he played loads of stuff I liked, a highlight of which was FSOL doing one of the first live shows streamed over the internet on his show...

anyway if you are seriously suggesting john peel would have loved amy winehouse, jamie cullum and james blunt etc, personally I think you're quite wrong.

I thought I'd weaned myself off bothering replying to you...so I'll have one more fix (for no point, of course)

3 things.

1 - I meant "stripey's music"...as in the music you make (not the stuff you like).

(rediculous!...of course he didin't play my music...he didn't ever hear it, I'm better than winehouse, Peel would have loved my ground breaking works etc (breaking point 3 here, but you don't give a fick, so I won't)) - and it was meant as a sort of joke...but, you being aberdeen music's biggest humourless cunt, again, a waste of finger action on the keys from my part there.

2 - when did I say that John Peel would like winehouse (or even JAMES FUCKING BLUNT?) - who's making shit up again to "bolster" you oh so one sided and banal "argument" - what I was referring to was "someone with a john peel like appreciation for every type of music under the sun". I am no peel - but I've got a winehouse cd in my collection, that fits nicely with my 310, autechre, napalm death, Scorn, Ormando Portuondo, Bonny Prince Billy, Tortoise, Junior Senior, art blakey, jeff mills....oh, FSOL...to name a few. I am no "shops in tesco for his CDs" - but even if I did pick up a cd from there, I am man enough to say I did - and not have some retarded class value system of whether I am allowed to like a certain band or not, because they are available in tesco or because they come from rich mummy and daddy backgrounds...the fucking underground music police need people like you, making sure that no "improper" music gets out there. (that you and you alone decide what should be allowed in the wide world). - that's the "general" feeling I get from the reasons why people shouldn't listen to Winehouse here...so If I paraphrase, up yours. ;)

3 - I never said that John peel would like amy winehouse (I hope he would!).

ah, that was a waste of 10 mins and energy.

• Upvote 1

Because sometimes I can just listen to music and think it's good without worrying about what effect it will have on my credibility as a 'proper' music fan / the environment / global warming / feeding terrorism etc. I don't see her as a controversial figure, or a rip off of the soul music she is obviously influenced by.

You have hit it perfectly. There is no discussion and no story here. Our collective over-emphasis on Winehouse reflects our submission to her record label; acknowledges their success in propelling something which is simply 'music' into an event of national importance. I am glad you have stuck to your guns and looked beyond the pseudo-philosopy.

Fact is we can sit around all day bemoaning the existence of big corporations and consumer culture; imagining some kind of commerce-free utopia. It changes and contributes nothing. Lets try and find some genuine issues to talk about, and not just reflect the non-events of national media.

I thought I'd weaned myself off bothering replying to you...so I'll have one more fix (for no point, of course)

3 things.

1 - I meant "stripey's music"...as in the music you make (not the stuff you like).

(rediculous!...of course he didin't play my music...he didn't ever hear it, I'm better than winehouse, Peel would have loved my ground breaking works etc (breaking point 3 here, but you don't give a fick, so I won't)) - and it was meant as a sort of joke...but, you being aberdeen music's biggest humourless cunt, again, a waste of finger action on the keys from my part there.

2 - when did I say that John Peel would like winehouse (or even JAMES FUCKING BLUNT?) - who's making shit up again to "bolster" you oh so one sided and banal "argument" - what I was referring to was "someone with a john peel like appreciation for every type of music under the sun". I am no peel - but I've got a winehouse cd in my collection, that fits nicely with my 310, autechre, napalm death, Scorn, Ormando Portuondo, Bonny Prince Billy, Tortoise, Junior Senior, art blakey, jeff mills....oh, FSOL...to name a few. I am no "shops in tesco for his CDs" - but even if I did pick up a cd from there, I am man enough to say I did - and not have some retarded class value system of whether I am allowed to like a certain band or not, because they are available in tesco or because they come from rich mummy and daddy backgrounds...the fucking underground music police need people like you, making sure that no "improper" music gets out there. (that you and you alone decide what should be allowed in the wide world). - that's the "general" feeling I get from the reasons why people shouldn't listen to Winehouse here...so If I paraphrase, up yours. ;)

3 - I never said that John peel would like amy winehouse (I hope he would!).

ah, that was a waste of 10 mins and energy.

:laughing: Love it. Well said.

Music almost has the status of religion on here.

For an art form that is entirely subjective there seems to be no shortage of high priests telling us whats bad for us and what and how to think.

They find it impossible to simply like what they like and ignore the rest, taking it upon their shoulders to educate the "masses" in proper musical thinking. In their limited, retarded world, everything is "shite" apart from their own narrow tastes.

Mind your own musical business all you music Nazis out there.

For the record, I thought Neil Diamond's set was one of the hightlights of Glastonbury. Oh and don't bother to post a sermon telling me how I'm wrong to think this or how Diamond is a has been. Better to be a has been than a never will be like, well, all music Nazis, really.

nb: if you're a musical high priest with leanings to the left, please feel free to substitute " music trot" for "music nazi". Thank you.

For an art form that is entirely subjective there seems to be no shortage of high priests telling us whats bad for us and what and how to think.

They find it impossible to simply like what they like and ignore the rest, taking it upon their shoulders to educate the "masses" in proper musical thinking. In their limited, retarded world, everything is "shite" apart from their own narrow tastes.

For the record, I thought Neil Diamond's set was one of the hightlights of Glastonbury. Oh and don't bother to post a sermon telling me how I'm wrong to think this or how Diamond is a has been. Better to be a has been than a never will be like, well, all music Nazis, really.

nb: if you're a musical high priest with leanings to the left, please feel free to substitute " music trot" for "music nazi". Thank you.

In saying that, if my girlfriend ever puts on her Scooter CD round my gaffe again, I'm going to punch her in the gob. Ditto Cascada.

If it's entirely subjective then people have the right to say they think something is shit too, I don't think anyone is trying to tell people what they should and shouldnt listen to.

matt sweeney plays in neil diamonds band on occasion, thus making neil diamond underground cool! or something.