aberdeen-music

Amy Winehouse

Stripey

Actually,

Im just wondering....

Perhaps she hasn't got a drug problem. Perhaps this is one big act involving wrapping the media round her little finger?

again, all the stuff about "press" and "her life"...doesn't matter!

it's whether you think she's a good singer or not.

plenty of people here think she's shit, but they (from their profiles) state a pretty limited acceptance of any musical spectrum. I'd imagine "james hetfield is the best singer in the world" would also come from some of her critics on here...so what does that say?

getting sucked into a tabloid debate about someone's lifestyle, how they carry themselves doesn't actually matter, when it comes to their talent (which is what is in question here)...if she was proporting to be a role model, different story...but she isn't.

How many people here would slag off kurt cobain for being a "junky loser"? or Keith Moon for being a "spaced out drunk" ?...

it's a sign of the times, flawed successful people get a beating for being successful and flawed. did-fucking-ums.

• Upvote 1

How many people here would slag off kurt cobain for being a "junky loser"? or Keith Moon for being a "spaced out drunk" ?...

I would and have. When ignorant people take drugs like heroin or crack without knowing what they are doing they deserve all they get as far as I'm concerned, regardless of this bullshit about drugs and musicians being inevitably intertwined, and regardless of any talent they have, it is still behaviour to be pointed out as bloody stupid.

I don't particularly care for the way the media feel like the personal lives of the famous are headline news, but people like amy winehouse who whore themselves out in the name of fame have to accept it is part and parcel of the path they have chosen.

again, all the stuff about "press" and "her life"...doesn't matter!

it's whether you think she's a good singer or not.

plenty of people here think she's shit, but they (from their profiles) state a pretty limited acceptance of any musical spectrum. I'd imagine "james hetfield is the best singer in the world" would also come from some of her critics on here...so what does that say?

getting sucked into a tabloid debate about someone's lifestyle, how they carry themselves doesn't actually matter, when it comes to their talent (which is what is in question here)...if she was proporting to be a role model, different story...but she isn't.

it's a sign of the times, flawed successful people get a beating for being successful and flawed. did-fucking-ums.

I for one certainly find music more interesting than press stories.

However, it is ironic that a lot of people prefer Amy Winehouse's first album to the latest one. It is also ironic that she is now a massive household name. How did that happen? Did her singing suddenly become amazing (compared to the first album), her songwriting suddenly improve? Doubt it.

Kurt Cobain...? Just a guy who couldn't handle fame.

Keith Moon...? He liked to party too hard.

Im not actually having a go at Amy Winehouse. I just find that her music is not the main reason that she has become a massive star. Honestly, why do people suddenly give a shit about her now? She was not very well know a couple of years ago.

However, it is ironic that a lot of people prefer Amy Winehouse's first album to the latest one. It is also ironic that she is now a massive household name. How did that happen? Did her singing suddenly become amazing (compared to the first album), her songwriting suddenly improve? Doubt it.

Her first album is mostly jazz, which was unlikely to ever get played on Radio 1 or MTV or whatever station the cool kids watch these days. Her new album is much more poppy, and her songs are never off the radio, which is probably why a lot more people listen to her now.

I for one certainly find music more interesting than press stories.

Kurt Cobain...? Just a guy who couldn't handle fame.

Keith Moon...? He liked to party too hard.

Im not actually having a go at Amy Winehouse. I just find that her music is not the main reason that she has become a massive star. Honestly, why do people suddenly give a shit about her now? She was not very well know a couple of years ago.

It's just that she's writing music (or having it written for her) that 13 year olds will spend their pocket money on.

That's how to get in the charts guys. Use no more than 29 different words and have a great hook.

• 4 months later...

Her performance at Glasto was a total car crash, just a shambolic, mumbling mess. She was singing off key and even out of time. Plus she twatted someone in the crowd and she's getting in trouble by the rozzers for it. But I'm still looking forward to seeing her at T. Despite all the tabloid press, heroin / crack addiction, lung diseases, pictures of her looking like a skeleton, I am still at the end of the day, a big fan.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

it's not my fault that ya got hooked on her crappy fake, white, tesco soul music and now you're greeting because she's going to kill herself through self abuse - a controversial act which is sure to get some sort of reaction, like the british public hailing her as a tragic genius.

sorry, but the only thing she has going for her is that she is a white person marketable to dad-rockers who "wouldn't normally listen to that sort of thing", that sort of thing being music identical to that which was being released and done better 40 years ago. i'm sick of this influx of 'soulful' rich white girls. why would you want to listen to this over the real thing?

it's not my fault that ya got hooked on her crappy fake, white, tesco soul music and now you're greeting because she's going to kill herself through self abuse - a controversial act which is sure to get some sort of reaction, like the british public hailing her as a tragic genius.

sorry, but the only thing she has going for her is that she is a white person marketable to dad-rockers who "wouldn't normally listen to that sort of thing", that sort of thing being music identical to that which was being released and done better 40 years ago. i'm sick of this influx of 'soulful' rich white girls. why would you want to listen to this over the real thing?

I have to agree. Just another Brit School product who's never paid her dues and can't handle the fame.

A new low, look at this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLkgiF1WX8Y&hl=en

If you listen carefully at 4.28 she replaces the words "Free Nelson Mandela" with "Free Blakey My Fella".

Yes, because your scumbag husband can of course be compared to Mandela.

Sir, you have my utmost admiration for your ability to absorb pain - I lasted 41 seconds of that hoors abortion of a performance.

I also agree with Mr O'Shantie's post re "rich white girl soul" - "bogus" springs immediately to mind.

Because sometimes I can just listen to music and think it's good without worrying about what effect it will have on my credibility as a 'proper' music fan / the environment / global warming / feeding terrorism etc. I don't see her as a controversial figure, or a rip off of the soul music she is obviously influenced by.

I don't feel like I should have to defend my liking of any artist, including Amy Winehouse, but it really has nothing to do with the marketing of her as a tragic genius, or coffee table music for boring people, in truth I picked up on her in 2003 when I was working in Virgin and we used to get the new release albums in a few days early and I listened to them all in the office so I knew the products. We got in Frank the week it came out and I just thought she had an amazing voice and I bought the album, that was long before she was in any of the newspapers or glossy magazines, or for that matter being sold in Tesco. Even the most cynical of people can't deny that when she is on her game she has a great singing voice.

I don't deny or argue in any way that what she is doing is inferior to the brilliant soul from the 60s and 70s. I love all the girl group stuff, the Phil Spector stuff, the Supremes, the Shangri-La's, Martha Reeves, The Ronettes, Irma Thomas, and agree it's vastly superior to Ms Winehouse's output, but I just like to hear what is essentially a modern take on a classic genre, sung by someone who seems the have genuine passion for it. I'm sure plenty of people will argue that point, she's just a 'plastic copy' etc. but we can argue this back and forth all day, the bottom line is she makes good records that I personally enjoy listening to. However I do admit freely that her live performances these days are just a shambling mess and she's become a total car crash. She needs to go and clean in private IMO.

• Upvote 1