aberdeen-music

Amy Winehouse

Stripey

is it really true that she is going to perform with mark ronson at thebrit awards this year? I'm not sure what ronson is going to "perform", perhaps an act of fellatio on the upper management of the labels who own the rights to all the tracks he's ripped off while winehouse tries to sing along.

amywinehouse2.jpg

The slating Amy Winehouse gets from the media has become beyond hypocritical. It's public schoolboys snorting coke and fucking seventeen year old girls and then having a go at Amy Winehouse because she's on crack, and that's not percieved as a glamorous drug.

I'm not a massive Amy Winehouse fan, I don't really know her music at all, but the whole public and media attack just stinks of pompous middle-class hegemony on what they view as an unmarketable woman. Of course she has bad skin and teeth, she's addicted to class A drugs. The liberal media wouldn't want to go and point and laugh at a homeless guy on smack lying on the street, so why do they think it's acceptable because it's someone that makes records?

Seems strange that nobody seems to bothered about people like Ozzy Osbourne, Nikki Sixx and Kurt Cobain doing hard drugs, but when it's a young Jewish girl, everyone kicks up a fuss.

I love the fact that some talentless nobody thinks that someone with a voice like hers is a "talentless, wannabe-soulsinger".

I do sadly think she'll be pushing up daisies soon, no thanks to our helpful, supportive society and lovely tabloid writing / reading obsessed clackersacks that are the majority of this country.

Something happened to her down the line that pushed her over the edge, be it weakness on her part, greed or lack of help in dealing with fame, fuck knows, but anyone that revels in the decline of anyone like this...is pretty fucking low (but what do we expect from the ever so funny and "controversial" mr X )

I do sadly think she'll be pushing up daisies soon, no thanks to our helpful, supportive society and lovely tabloid writing / reading obsessed clackersacks that are the majority of this country.

She owes her "success" to the tabloid industry, she isn't famous for being a great singer (which she isn't) or a great songwriter (which she isn't). She's a media creation who has more in common with lilly allen than aretha franklin. If she wasn't a crackhead she would have dropped off the radar long ago.

Guest batterypowpow
She owes her "success" to the tabloid industry, she isn't famous for being a great singer (which she isn't) or a great songwriter (which she isn't). She's a media creation who has more in common with lilly allen than aretha franklin. If she wasn't a crackhead she would have dropped off the radar long ago.

Wasn't her first album quite successful (critically at least) on the merit of the music/her voice alone though? I don't know much about her before the 2nd album.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Sadly, I think there is a grain of truth here. I recall when her first album came out...the reviews were quite good (but they certainly weren't glowing, by any stretch of the imagination...). However, nobody bought the damn thing.

Her success seems completely tangled with her tabloid media presence (Pete Doherty, anyone?), and the more pics of her in the Sun, the more records she has sold.

However, what it doesn't explain is how the Tabloid press picked up on her in the first place. To be completely honest, I just can't understand why they thought a complete nobody like her was ever going to be newsworthy (as to whether this is newsworthy, that's a different argument).

Clearly, the girl has some talent, and my own personal theory is that her management wanted to push the image of her being a tragic figure, cos the know that's what sells records.

I'm guessing they didn't think she'd enjoy playing the role quite as much as she did.

And in response to the comments made about Kurt Cobain, I seem to remember there beign quite a lot of speculation and heated discussion about the heroin use in the Seattle music scene, and he didn't get an easy ride about it.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. I stayed up to 5.00am, and didn't realise what time it was.

I'm so tired, I could literally sleep.

I bought her first album when it came out in 2002 and it was and still is one of my favourite albums. It's brilliantly, really jazz-tinged, and I think it was mercury pize nominated, back before the days of drugs, bad haircuts and tabloid headlines. I don't think anyone could call her talentless, she has an outstanding and unique voice. Yes she's a mess now, but personally I hope she can sort it out and get back to being known as a great singer rather than a junkie.

I too bought her LP when it first came out, and I still think that "there is no greater love" is one of the finest jazz singing tracks....up there with Fitzgerald or Holiday.

if you haven't heard the song (stimpy), then shut it, go listen to it and tell me your ears are painted on, or you just take your position from reading too many tabloids. (unless you of course are good friends with the Winehouse family, and know every intimate secret of her life...)

The slating Amy Winehouse gets from the media has become beyond hypocritical. It's public schoolboys snorting coke and fucking seventeen year old girls and then having a go at Amy Winehouse because she's on crack, and that's not percieved as a glamorous drug.

I'm not a massive Amy Winehouse fan, I don't really know her music at all, but the whole public and media attack just stinks of pompous middle-class hegemony on what they view as an unmarketable woman. Of course she has bad skin and teeth, she's addicted to class A drugs. The liberal media wouldn't want to go and point and laugh at a homeless guy on smack lying on the street, so why do they think it's acceptable because it's someone that makes records?

Seems strange that nobody seems to bothered about people like Ozzy Osbourne, Nikki Sixx and Kurt Cobain doing hard drugs, but when it's a young Jewish girl, everyone kicks up a fuss.

Spot on.

Surely we should focus on the real horrors in music right now, like the new Nickelback single...

Surely we should focus on the real horrors in music right now, like the new Nickelback single...

'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars

And live in hilltop houses' date=' driving fifteen cars

The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap

We'll all stay skinny 'cause we just won't eat

And we'll hang out in the coolest bars

In the VIP with the movie stars

Every good gold digger's

Gonna wind up there

Every Playboy bunny

With her bleach blonde hair

And well...

Hey, hey, I wanna be a rockstar

Hey, hey, I wanna be a rockstar[/quote']

What's not to like about that?

I'd say she has got talent, it's not in proportion with the coverage she gets, and she's more to be pitied than despised (particularly if she's got creepy Mark Ronson going round her house with white objects in his hand at all hours).

None of this though answers the burning question of what in the beJesus is she doing to herself in that first pic? I know she had sair teeth and pulled one out, but don't start on your nipples Amy, that'll definitely end in tears.

She wasn't always a filthy looking junkie whore. I remember seeing her on Jools when her first album came out and she was actually pretty hot.

winehouseqq0.jpg

awinehouse.jpg

Amy-Winehouse_177655.jpg

Compare these to the pictures on the last page and less this be a lesson to you kids. Tattoos and smack do not make you look cool. No matter what anyone says.

I too bought her LP when it first came out, and I still think that "there is no greater love" is one of the finest jazz singing tracks....up there with Fitzgerald or Holiday.

if you haven't heard the song (stimpy), then shut it, go listen to it and tell me your ears are painted on, or you just take your position from reading too many tabloids. (unless you of course are good friends with the Winehouse family, and know every intimate secret of her life...)

She's meant to be singing the theme to the new Bond movie this year, I really hope she gets it together enough to do it cos with her voice she's almost born to do a Bond theme. Listen to "Love Is A Losing Game" off her last album for further evidence of this, it sounds like a Bond theme anyway, only better than most of the recent Bond songs (they've all been shite since (and including) Goldeneye))

again, it's a matter of opinion.

you, have a rush logo as an avatar. the idea of listening to mr Geddy Lee turns my skin inside out....but I wouldn't call for his death.

go listen to "there is no greater love"...do it!....then come back and say she's talentless...

ah, taste...can't like jazz, fair enough!

I think we'd all be happier people if we were told what we were allowed to listen to on a monthly basis by the only man on this site with the "right" taste in music...then we'd all be cool. Oh, how I wish for that day....