aberdeen-music

Cloverfield

davidm

Just came back from this.

Fantastic film. Shot wonderfully, believeable characters etc. The whole thing was executed perfectly; the illusions cast to 9/11 gave the film a much more authentic taste as well as the fact that the whole thing was shot with hand-held cameras.

It's only an hour and 20 minutes long. Go see it.

:up:

I loved this film although i did come out of the cinema slightly disappointed.

This was my own fault.

I went in with entirely the wrong mindset. I knew it was shot "Blair witch" style yet i still expected some of the questions brought up by the advertising campaign to be answered.

How wrong was I.

I know what the monster looks like now but still have no idea wtf it is.

I need a sequel just so i can have some back story abnd explanation of where it came from and why.

Ace film, best monster film I have seen in years. No idea on why, where and how but the atmosphere and destruction were top notch. Also the military approach in it seemed a lot more "believable" than in other monster films with some serious hardware being brought in to have a pop at the beastie including using B2 stealth bombers to carpet bomb New York, good stuff. Said beastie must be incredibly hard though as it was hit with pretty much everything but the kitchen sink and it was still kicking arse and the wee flying balls of teeth things that dropped off it were cool.

WARNING SPOILERS AHOY!!!!

I thought that, while the concept was good, and it was fairly entertaining, there were a few too many problems which kept nagging in my mind.

1. Why the hell would you keep a camera on you when being chased by monsters?

2. Ditto but for climbing across rooftops

3. Why would you go back to get the camera after escaping the helicopter crash?

4. How the fuck could you fail to see a skyscraper sized monster when turning round to get the camera?!?!?

That apart some of it was really good, but like most horror films it was at its best when you didn't see the monster.

I know what the monster looks like now but still have no idea wtf it is.

I need a sequel just so i can have some back story abnd explanation of where it came from and why.

No!

That was what made it so good. No faffing around with backstory or explanation about the monster. It meant they could concentrate on the people trying to survive instead.

WARNING SPOILERS AHOY!!!!

I thought that, while the concept was good, and it was fairly entertaining, there were a few too many problems which kept nagging in my mind.

1. Why the hell would you keep a camera on you when being chased by monsters?

2. Ditto but for climbing across rooftops

3. Why would you go back to get the camera after escaping the helicopter crash?

4. How the fuck could you fail to see a skyscraper sized monster when turning round to get the camera?!?!?

That apart some of it was really good, but like most horror films it was at its best when you didn't see the monster.

It's a monster movie not a documentary. Why insist on adding logic to the equation...

The 'that would never happen in real life' brigade should probably not go to the movies unless it's a Michael Moore film.

Great movie. went with the Missus on Friday and she sat with her jacket at her gob through near the whole film. Haven't been that entertained by a film in some time. The last time I was that tense during a watch was Flight 93 but that was an entirely different kind of 'entertainment'.

I loved it, one of the few films where I've hyped myself up about it and then not been disappointed after seeing it. The only thing was the tendency to get a bit motion sick when they ran with the camera, but I was expecting that - just wasn't great when you had a hangover to boot!

Excellent film :)

I should say i've not seen this yet, but ive been told that when i do,to sit through the credits. Theres white noise - which breaks into actual conversation about where the monster came from and stuff..

I cant say if thats true or not, because everyone ive asked (bar the 3 people who've mentioned that) left once the movie finished..

I loved it. Probably more than I expected, and particularly due to the fact that the film never really explained anything, because why the devil should any of the characters have that sort of information?

Suffered a tiny bit from stupid-character syndrome, which seems to bug me more nowadays than it used to, particularly:

I almost laughed at that' date=' wondering how it managed to sneak up on them.

Star Trek trailer made me squee a bit as well :O

I almost laughed at that, wondering how it managed to sneak up on them.

The scene was a bit extraneous, but maybe it had something to with them just having been in a helicopter crash and being even more disoriented than they already were???

I suspect the distributors had more to do with the inclusion of that scene - "but when do we actually SEE the monster? - research shows that 27.83% more popcorn is sold when you get to see the monster" - type of thing!

From my perspective, I thought it was an excellent movie and captured better than any other piece of fiction, a complete sense of panic & confusion - with the exception of the fact-based beach head section in Shaving Ryan's Privates.

My wife and I watched this in the Pathe in Amsterdam last week , a few Heinekens to the worse. We were already exhausted from a whole days trekking and nodded off at the boring (are New Yorkers really THAT boring and vaccuous?) party scene, but were abruptly awoken by the explosion and were totally gripped from then on in.

The monster was superb and looked truly psychotic!

I can even forgive the "yo-dude-wassup-back-in-day" dumb white (with token ethnic) cast.

No sequel please.

The scene was a bit extraneous, but maybe it had something to with them just having been in a helicopter crash and being even more disoriented than they already were???

True, still had the presence of mind to pick up the camera and continue filming though.

I suspect the distributors had more to do with the inclusion of that scene - "but when do we actually SEE the monster? - research shows that 27.83% more popcorn is sold when you get to see the monster" - type of thing!

Yeah, I was a bit surprised with that scene. Really didn't expect to see the monster in such detail beyond the out-of-focus shots we got for the rest of the film.

I should say i've not seen this yet, but ive been told that when i do,to sit through the credits. Theres white noise - which breaks into actual conversation about where the monster came from and stuff..

I cant say if thats true or not, because everyone ive asked (bar the 3 people who've mentioned that) left once the movie finished..

No, it doesn't, all you get is something along the lines of "it's still alive" or possibly "we're still alive".

definetly a film that has to be watched in the cinema, the sound effects are just to immense to be heard through a crap quality internet video. supposedly there is a sequel in the works. kinda in the same idea as thr first one. heres a wee quote from the director matt greeves

There's a moment on the Brooklyn Bridge, and there was a guy filming something on the side of the bridge, and Hud sees him filming and he turns over and he sees the ship that's been capsized and sees the headless Statue of Liberty, and then he turns back and this guy's briefly filming him. In my mind that was two movies intersecting for a brief moment, and I thought there was something interesting in the idea that this incident happened and there are so many different points of view, and there are several different movies at least happening that evening and we just saw one piece of another.

seems like a plausable idea

Guest Steven Dedalus
I will never watch this film because I am not a gullible popcorn munching cunt. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

OH my god!!!!

Stripey didn't like something that's popular!

I am literally weeping into my coffee with surprise.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Probably the worst film I've ever paid to see.

Unwatchable cack.

I actually have a friend over here who got in touch with me to tell me that if I didn't go to see this film, then it would make the money he spent on it worthwhile.