aberdeen-music

Tunnels Battle Of The Bands With , Wizard Fest + Original 106fm Prizes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think estrella winning it was a cert, they always seem to win (they`ll probs win the whole thing )i remember seeing them against the wildcards and the x-certs at Cicargo rock a few years ago it was for a slot at free at the dee and they won.

av seen them win a few comps and never thought they deserved it must be something about them that people at things like this like.

the band velvet audio have played this BOTB thing twice but never saw them this time, saw them last time, they were amazing think there all only 14 and the blew me away.

Guest calumunderkills

There's no way Estrella deserved to win. On a good night The Underkills would have had a chance of going through but we played our worst gig for a while, not the best time to have a bad night...

Velvet Audio and Headlight were both far better than Estrella. For young guys, Velvet Audio are amazing. Estrella looked as if they'd been dropped in from the 80s, and for all the messing about, and grandeur prior to them kicking into their set, I was very disappointed. Maybe just not my thing though!

Always hated BOTB scenarios myself. It kinda ends up with the whole thing turning into a joke. I've seen some really awful bands win these things in the past and they always end up disappearing into the abyss of time.

It always seems to be the loud, rockin bands that win these things in aberdeen.

I think this town needs a Tony Wilson figure who won't put up with the same old crap being pushed by the same old people year in, year out.

Guest calumunderkills

Yeah, the sound on stage was very poor, and that contributed to our poor show. We supported Hayseed Dixie the following night at Moshulu and played one of our best gigs to date!!

I can see how they couldn't justify doing soundchecks because ultimately some bands would have got longer than others and it wouldn't really have been fair to the rest, but we never play well without a soundcheck, it's happened 2 or 3 times now and they've been our 2 or 3 worst gigs!

Feedback for Headlight:

I thought your tunes were very good. It all seemed pretty tight, and the crowd were obviously enjoying it. I've spoken to a few guys who thought you were really good. The singer has a very good, distinctive voice, which is very important. One slightly (only slightly though) downpoint was the drumming was a tad over the top at times, which maybe didn't suit the songs - but it wasn't bad drumming by any stretch of the imagination, maybe could have been slightly more subtle to suit the acoustic sound. Overall, very good though!!

I also thought Velvet Audio were brilliant. I said on the night I wouldn't be disappointed to lose out to either Headlight or Velvet Audio cos both played really well, but if I was in either of these two bands, I'd be gutted to lose out to Estrella.

Guest calumunderkills

Just to clear things up here - I've just re-read my posts and it seems as if I'm having a go at everyone....

I'm not slagging the Tunnels or the competition. The sound wasn't great on the night, but that's because nobody got a soundcheck, and the bands were different styles, so it can't be easy with just line-checks to get it right. I'm also not blaming the sound for our poor show, because the other bands seemed to deal with it - we just don't do well without a soundcheck, some bands can, but we like a good soundcheck!!

And, as I said above, I don't have anything against Estrella, that kind of music's just not my thing, and I thought Velvet Audio and Headlight were both better than them on the night.

Glad I got that off my chest...

Oh, and if you want to see The Underkills on our usual form, come and watch us supporting Look See Proof at the Tunnels on Sunday 6th April - if you need tickets, give me a shout.

And you might have noticed me bumping my own article a few times regarding our charity gig @ Moshulu on Friday 25th April, with Eskimo Blonde, Kashmir Red and Headlight. For tickets click Welcome to TicketWeb! or visit One Up Records.

Cheers:up: